The Student Room Group

What's it like being the only child?

How does it feel to be the only child? What are the pros and cons?

I'm interested to know, also I don't have any friends who are the only child, so I thought I'd ask the TSR community.

Even if you aren't the only child, you're welcome to post! Maybe share what you think being the only child would be like and the only-child-ers can give you a realistic view/ dis-spell any myths.
Reply 1
Do you feel lonely when you're at home?
It's pretty good being an only child mainly for financial reasons and you obviously get more attention from your parents then you would if you had siblings. Although sometimes it can be a bit lonely and I probably felt more lonely when I was much younger as opposed to now because obviously you can go out with friends, speak to them over the phone,social networking etc. But I would have LOVED to have had a sibling younger or older purely because of that sibling bond which is so beautiful to me :smile: (And I wouldn't have to be asked to do all task as I could shift it onto to them :tongue:)
Reply 3
I think it gets better as you get older. When you're younger you want someone to play with but obviously as you get older you realise how much less you would have, financially, with siblings. It's still pretty boring and your house is quite quiet, which can be annoying as a teenager as it seems your parents have more time to check up on you. On the plus side I think I have a much closer relationship with my parents than some of my friends with siblings. It's tough as you seem to get blamed for a lot as your siblings can't back you up. I don't think I would change any of it though, you grow up really independent and I think education wise it's better as your parents can focus on you more particularly with uni becoming so expensive.

Posted from TSR Mobile
it's hard to compare it with having siblings if you've never had siblings :wink:

I see my kids together and I realise they always have somebody to turn to, to play with, whereas I didn't. At the same time though I was spared the sibling bickering and vying for attention from parents all the time.

I think I probably had a more active imagination as a result of always having to entertain myself, and I took better care of my toys as I had nothing else for fun. My kids instead get bored quicker with their toys and so on.
Reply 5
I'm the only child on my mum's side and I have a half brother from my dads side. From my perspective, being a only child is kinda of lonely. I dont really spend time with my family as most of my family lives overseas. My dad tries to spoil me and on his side I do get a lot of attention compared to my brother and I think that bothers him but on my mums side the pressureeeee to do well in school and be successful is crazy. My mum wants me to be rich basically so she can benefit from it and because she doesnt have any more children she compares me to my cousins who are like super smart

Overall, being a only child is boring I wish there was a seed to grow siblings
Reply 6
I'm not an only child, I have four older brothers.

All I can say is, when they aren't around it is extremely boring in the house.
Reply 7
Being an only child has its pros and cons definitely! But I wouldnt change it:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
When I was younger I hated it because I lived in the middle of no where and really I had to make my own entertainment cause I couldn't go see friends but now I'm older I love it, my friends with siblings just seem to argue with them all the time.

Also I get a lot from my parents and I'm extremely greatful as I know if I had a sibling I wouldn't get as much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Only child on dads side, but half two half sisters on mam's side...

I was an only child for about 8 years. I have always been close to my cousins though so they are like my brothers and sisters, however I got all the fun of having siblings, and got all the benefits of being an only child. It definitely made me a lot more introverted though, as I'd see my cousins a few times a week, but majority of the time, if I wasn't out with friends, I was at home just keeping myself company. I had a very active imagination as a result.

When my sisters came along, I still remained very introverted, quiet and calm child. It's so weird how different I am to them in terms of temperament and personality. I have complete different tastes to them. I think it's a direct result of being an only child for 8 years. I went out and got interested in my own things... my sisters have 4 years difference between them so are into the same things and hang out a lot. They are both very open, outspoken, loud characters around my mam - I am very calm, cool and collected - I never really talk to her about anything. I am way closer to my dad as I am his only daughter, though.

It's a weird dynamic. It's like I lead two lives.
I hate being an only child. I'm super envious of those who have siblings.
Sometimes you don't notice you're an only child; and other times you do.
Reply 12
Original post by Splenge007
How does it feel to be the only child? What are the pros and cons?

I'm interested to know, also I don't have any friends who are the only child, so I thought I'd ask the TSR community.

Even if you aren't the only child, you're welcome to post! Maybe share what you think being the only child would be like and the only-child-ers can give you a realistic view/ dis-spell any myths.

I wanted a brother growing up, lol no sister as we would probably constantly fight and i would probs get jealous, loll its better to be the only girl, anyways I always had to sort things out on my own but as im really social and always go out with friends I dont care anymore, I think it affects you more as a kid;P

Posted from TSR Mobile
I only have one friend who's the only child and he hates it.
Reply 14
When I was a child I longed for a sister to play with, but as I grew up I realised that you do get all the opportunities (financial and otherwise) that would have to be shared with a sibling. But with that came all the expectations to achieve academically, focussed entirely on me. Now I'm older I think about the responsibility for caring for my parents in old age, which I won't have anyone to share with.

My partner has a sister, and I can't always appreciate their relationship (they still bicker and try to get one over each other although they are both in their 30s). My two closest friends (who I met at university) are also both only children, so maybe we gravitate together!

One thing I don't buy into is that all only children are spoilt (I would say that wouldn't I !). I think it is totally dependent on how your parents bring you up. Yes I had opportunities, but I certainly didn't get things handed to me on a plate!
Reply 15
Original post by NikoB
I only have one friend who's the only child and he hates it.

Why?

Is he any different to your friends who have siblings?
Reply 16
I'm quite a shy and timid person, and I always wondered what I'd be like if I had siblings. I used to hate being an only child growing up. I didn't have many friends, and spent a lot of time in my head, using my imagination. I've always loved the idea of having a brother or sister - just having someone near your age who knows almost everything about you, and who you can share your personal stories with. Obviously I'm being biased and not taking into the account all the fighting and arguing etc. :tongue:

It was a bit hard to get used to sharing a house with friends at Uni tbh, because I'm so used to having my own space (and quite a lot of it). But it's also a nice feeling walking into the kitchen and having someone to talk to, and share your day with. I've definitely become more social.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Splenge007
Why?

Is he any different to your friends who have siblings?

No he's the same but he just a longs for someone to talk to at home when his mum has gone work or something.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending