The Student Room Group

Need to shave 5 minutes off my 1.5mile time!

Hello everyone,

I will start this with honesty, I'm out of shape. I'm not excessively overweight, nor am I unacceptably unfit (ie, I can run up stairs without being out of breath, I can go on 8 mile walks and not be tired or feel strained) however, I have a distinct inability to run.

I have never ran for fitness or fun before but I am now considering applying to the armed forces where fitness is part of the application process. Ideally I need to be able to run 1.5miles in 11 minutes but around the 10 minute mark would be preferable. I tried to run 1.5miles today in my quickest possible time and it took me (brace yourself) 16 minutes.

Can anyone give me any advice on how to speed up, I am 100% dedicated but just don't know where to start. Also, I know its an impossible question but how long would this realistically take me. Is aiming for a 1 minute off a month too out there or would that be selling myself short?

Thanks,
Jordan
Reply 1
Original post by JordanUK
Hello everyone,

I will start this with honesty, I'm out of shape. I'm not excessively overweight, nor am I unacceptably unfit (ie, I can run up stairs without being out of breath, I can go on 8 mile walks and not be tired or feel strained) however, I have a distinct inability to run.

I have never ran for fitness or fun before but I am now considering applying to the armed forces where fitness is part of the application process. Ideally I need to be able to run 1.5miles in 11 minutes but around the 10 minute mark would be preferable. I tried to run 1.5miles today in my quickest possible time and it took me (brace yourself) 16 minutes.

Can anyone give me any advice on how to speed up, I am 100% dedicated but just don't know where to start. Also, I know its an impossible question but how long would this realistically take me. Is aiming for a 1 minute off a month too out there or would that be selling myself short?

Thanks,
Jordan

Just get out and run (almost) everyday, 5 or 6 days a week. Don't just run 1.5 miles, run 2miles at least. And if you fancy it, vary it up with some HIIT.

Do that for a month and you'll cut at least 4 minutes off your time, guaranteed.

For the record, I'm ex-RAF. This works.
But also remember; you need to do press ups and sit ups for the fitness tests, start working on them too.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Just don't go too intense, too quickly. You're just likely to get injuries that way. Instead practise running several times a week, at least 1,5 miles each time. Do 90% of these runs slow, and the other 10% can be interval training ( where you do sprint for a set distance/time, then recover for a longer distance/time and repeat). Try doing other cardio as well so as to reduce the risk of injuries from running. Trust me, it seems very tempting to just go harder and faster each time but it doesn't work in the long run.
Reply 3
Original post by Drewski
Just get out and run everyday, 5 or 6 days a week. Don't just run 1.5 miles, run 2miles at least. And if you fancy it, vary it up with some HIIT.

Do that for a month and you'll cut at least 4 minutes off your time, guaranteed.

For the record, I'm ex-RAF. This works.
But also remember; you need to do press ups and sit ups for the fitness tests, start working on them too.

Wow 4 minutes! Really?

I'm not questioning you I just don't have a clue of what is achievable and 4 minutes in a month sounds dramatic.

Does make me feel a bit more confident I could actually do it though
Reply 4
Wow 4 minutes! Really?

I'm not questioning you I just don't have a clue of what is achievable and 4 minutes in a month sounds dramatic.

Does make me feel a bit more confident I could actually do it though

You'll improve rapidly once you get used to the strain of running itself.

I was the same when I started getting myself ready. Not unfit, but not running-fit. Went from 14mins to 9mins.

Don't be massively fixated on goals re: timings yet, that all comes with time. The longer you give yourself to get fit, the better off - and stronger - you'll be.
Reply 5
Hello everyone,

With that sort of time I'd imagine that you could get much better fairly quickly. I've never been someone who has run for pleasure and remember having to do this. I found I was quicker doing 'Scouts' pace' - 30 paces running, 30 walking, repeat (or 50 running, 30 walking - find what works for you) - than just running and could make sub 11 minutes doing this without any practice. With minimal practice (about 4 session I think - it was a long time ago and it was Winter. I wasn't very motivated) I got under 10 minutes which was fine for a girl. I'd also recommend this as a good technique for building up your stamina with gradually increasing the ratio of running to walking. Knowing you only have to run for another 50 paces before a short rest was a more achievable goal for me than having to run slowly for another mile. Good luck.
Your situation is near identical to mine. Which force are you looking at? When I started it took me 20 minutes (yes, yes...I know) but today I achieved my PB with 15:29. Still a long way off, but this is a significant improvement over 2 months, bearing in mind for them 2 months I only used to run once or twice a week, I have now increased that as well as sorted my diet out. 1 minute a month is what I've been aiming for, and it's more than achievable. Just think of it as a mere 15 seconds a week. Also, get on yer bike! It gives your joints a break, build up your leg muscles and in my opinion is more enjoyable than running, try cycling to work or school. The main thing I dislike about running is the excruciating boredom, I end up staring at the timer until I've finished.
Reply 7
Original post by Kilroy8
Your situation is near identical to mine. Which force are you looking at? When I started it took me 20 minutes (yes, yes...I know) but today I achieved my PB with 15:29. Still a long way off, but this is a significant improvement over 2 months, bearing in mind for them 2 months I only used to run once or twice a week, I have now increased that as well as sorted my diet out. 1 minute a month is what I've been aiming for, and it's more than achievable. Just think of it as a mere 15 seconds a week. Also, get on yer bike! It gives your joints a break, build up your leg muscles and in my opinion is more enjoyable than running, try cycling to work or school. The main thing I dislike about running is the excruciating boredom, I end up staring at the timer until I've finished.

Oh good, it's glad to know that I'm not alone haha.

I'm looking at both the RAF and the Navy hopefully in air traffic control, but I'm going to make a definitive decision in the next few weeks (I'm hoping for the RAF but the SNCO ATC role has been open for quite a while so I imagine it will close before I can get in there). But as soon as I can run 1.5mile in 11minutes I am going to go to the AFCO and get the ball rolling.

What about you?
Oh good, it's glad to know that I'm not alone haha.

I'm looking at both the RAF and the Navy hopefully in air traffic control, but I'm going to make a definitive decision in the next few weeks (I'm hoping for the RAF but the SNCO ATC role has been open for quite a while so I imagine it will close before I can get in there). But as soon as I can run 1.5mile in 11minutes I am going to go to the AFCO and get the ball rolling.

What about you?

I looked at RAF a lot. Mainly the ASOp trade. But I've ultimately decided on the Army, narrowing it down to Ammunition Technician or Electronic Warfare Operator. I know that there is a time gap between applying & selection, but I'd still rather have the time nailed before I apply. Going to do some Interval training after work today. And run 1.5 miles every Friday. I hope to be in the 14:xx's before the end of August.
Reply 9
The standards of the Armed Force must have dropped somewhat, I can lightly jog 1.5 miles in 11 minutes and I dabble with tobacco; and I wouldn't class myself as athletic...

Do some long distance runs; I'm talking 5k and 10k, aim to be out 3 or 4 nights a week to build up your stamina. Cut out any smokes, eat the right diet - think good fats and carbs (avoid sugar). After a few weeks try doing your runs with added weight (Put 10kg in a rucksack or something similar), then after a few weeks add more weight. You should also probably try running in boots (similar to military boots).

In a month or two you should be flying round a 1.5 mile in under 10 minutes with 20kg on your back which will great for when/if you join..
Reply 10
Original post by christanmu
The standards of the Armed Force must have dropped somewhat, I can lightly jog 1.5 miles in 11 minutes and I dabble with tobacco; and I wouldn't class myself as athletic...

Do some long distance runs; I'm talking 5k and 10k, aim to be out 3 or 4 nights a week to build up your stamina. Cut out any smokes, eat the right diet - think good fats and carbs (avoid sugar). After a few weeks try doing your runs with added weight (Put 10kg in a rucksack or something similar), then after a few weeks add more weight. You should also probably try running in boots (similar to military boots).

In a month or two you should be flying round a 1.5 mile in under 10 minutes with 20kg on your back which will great for when/if you join..

Unnecessary. They won't do fitness tests in boots, nor will they be required to do that kind of running in boots on basic training (certainly not in the RAF, which is what the OP is looking at).
Reply 11
Original post by christanmu

An average on 8.5mile an hour is a light jog?

Apart from the first statement, very good advice thank you!
Reply 12
Original post by arson_fire
There will be a waiting time between going to the AFCO and actually going on selection so you don`t have to wait until you are exactly on the time.

Good luck and remember the only way to run faster is to run faster!

I know but it would jsut be my luck to go and they would say 'Oh well, we actually have a fitness test date next week that I will book you on' haha.

But I know what your meaning, I will be real annoyed if they close the trade I want before I'm fit enough.

Thanks for the luck, I'm going to need it lol :smile:
An average on 8.5mile an hour is a light jog?

Apart from the first statement, very good advice thank you!

Not a problem. Mm well yeah I may have lied a little, I am quite athletic (if you can class playing sport as that) & do run a bit, I do 10k in 34 minutes (which is around 12mph I estimate? and class a jog as anything under competitive speed...
Original post by arson_fire
I`d be careful with this advice.

The run times are simply to pass selection. Its just a very basic test of fitness. After basic training it should be a lot lower!

There`s no need to run with a bergen on. You don`t do it much unless you get behind on a tab. If you really need to run then the bergen gets dumped anyway.

Running in boots is definitely a no-no (especially non-military boots). Its just going to mess up your lower legs if you`re not careful. The PTIs will introduce it when the time comes. All PT sessions and fitness tests involving running are done in trainers.

Diet and fags is good advice though!

I was just giving standard 'how to get fitter' advice!

I was of the idea that you have to do weighted runs and runs in boots though, odd 8)
Reply 15
I find it hard to run continuously, I run in sports activities where you walk for a bit and able to take a breather during the game. I also find running alone quite boring. When you guys say you go for a run say like 2 miles do you run without stopping or do you walk for a bit? Sorry if this a stupid question :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest