The Student Room Group

AS Geography : What are you going to do differently in A2 ?

We all make mistakes

through what we can guess what we have done wrong in AS what are you going to do differently for A2 Geography.

i myself am going to do revise and ensure that i have nicely written up notes or even typed up soon after i have learnt it in class.
Hey there. While you're waiting for a reply to your post, we thought we'd give your thread a timely bump.

But don't twiddle your thumbs in the meantime! Kick off your revision and study time by heading to our Learn Together section.

In Learn Together, you'll find interactive study tools to help make your revision quicker and easier. We've also got thousands of handpicked assignments analysed by great teachers, so you can learn from top-marked work. And there's tons more too: get started on Learn Together now!
Original post by Luketreherne
We all make mistakes

through what we can guess what we have done wrong in AS what are you going to do differently for A2 Geography.

i myself am going to do revise and ensure that i have nicely written up notes or even typed up soon after i have learnt it in class.

exactly :smile:
I'm going to keep up to date with current affairs more. I certainly didn't do badly in Geography, I got an A grade and 88% overall, but I managed to get 94% in Government and Politics and I know that it was my knowledge of current affairs (which I included as examples frequently in the exams) that made the difference between the two.

So it'll be that, and timing. I didn't even finish my U1 paper in January...
Best things to do is keep up to date with things and revise as you go along. also learn to try and relax, something I've seen is people in AS get stressed, but in A2 if you relax you generally do better. It's easier said than done I know that, but it does work, you do remember more.
Reply 5
Just keep learning and learning every single day ahead and what i've already done. Maybe past paper questions too.
Reply 6
Original post by moggington
I'm going to keep up to date with current affairs more. I certainly didn't do badly in Geography, I got an A grade and 88% overall, but I managed to get 94% in Government and Politics and I know that it was my knowledge of current affairs (which I included as examples frequently in the exams) that made the difference between the two.

So it'll be that, and timing. I didn't even finish my U1 paper in January...

What would did you do to get a A grade, if you don't mind me asking

Posted from TSR Mobile
What would did you do to get a A grade, if you don't mind me asking

Posted from TSR Mobile

1. The most important thing is ensuring that your notes are of a high standard. If they're not, you won't learn the content properly. Basic notes in class are fine, but expanding on them after the lesson is a good habit to get into.

2. Secondly, although probably just as important (if not more important) as the first point is practice. Exam practice is key so that you can get continuous feedback and see where you're at, or which topics are your weaker ones, a sign that you need to focus on them more in revision. My teachers encouraged me to hand in additional essays so I made good use of their offer.

The most important aspect of practice is technique. The more your practice, the more you'll be able to master your technique. It depends on what exam board you're with, but for Edexcel, I went with definition of all key words in question as intro + 2 points, clearly explained + brief conclusion for a 10 mark question, followed by same method but 3 points for a 15 mark question. If you learn a structure, it takes the pressure off organising your essay in the exam, something that could cost your precious marks and time.

It's also ESSENTIAL to practice the shorter mark questions seen in Unit 1. I focused on the essays at the end of the paper, gaining 100% of the marks in those, but my exam mark was dragged back because I struggled on some of the shorter questions.

3. I got a copy of the AS textbook. It was a different one to what we used in class, a slightly more advanced one for the Edexcel syllabus. It was very strong on certain topics, and left out entire case studies for other topics, so using two books together was the 'best of both worlds' I suppose.

4. This one's good if you want to get UMS in the 80s or 90s - outside reading. Flicking through news stories, checking The Guardian's Environment page, or even just watching the news, you'll probably be able to find something relevant to the syllabus. For example, things like Cyclone Phailin that hit India this week, the IPCC report on climate change released a few weeks ago is very current too. You don't need to know them in detail, but a brief mention of them in exams can be useful to gain extra marks. This is very much the case at A2 so it gets you into good practice!
Reply 8
Original post by moggington
1. The most important thing is ensuring that your notes are of a high standard. If they're not, you won't learn the content properly. Basic notes in class are fine, but expanding on them after the lesson is a good habit to get into.

2. Secondly, although probably just as important (if not more important) as the first point is practice. Exam practice is key so that you can get continuous feedback and see where you're at, or which topics are your weaker ones, a sign that you need to focus on them more in revision. My teachers encouraged me to hand in additional essays so I made good use of their offer.

The most important aspect of practice is technique. The more your practice, the more you'll be able to master your technique. It depends on what exam board you're with, but for Edexcel, I went with definition of all key words in question as intro + 2 points, clearly explained + brief conclusion for a 10 mark question, followed by same method but 3 points for a 15 mark question. If you learn a structure, it takes the pressure off organising your essay in the exam, something that could cost your precious marks and time.

It's also ESSENTIAL to practice the shorter mark questions seen in Unit 1. I focused on the essays at the end of the paper, gaining 100% of the marks in those, but my exam mark was dragged back because I struggled on some of the shorter questions.

3. I got a copy of the AS textbook. It was a different one to what we used in class, a slightly more advanced one for the Edexcel syllabus. It was very strong on certain topics, and left out entire case studies for other topics, so using two books together was the 'best of both worlds' I suppose.

4. This one's good if you want to get UMS in the 80s or 90s - outside reading. Flicking through news stories, checking The Guardian's Environment page, or even just watching the news, you'll probably be able to find something relevant to the syllabus. For example, things like Cyclone Phailin that hit India this week, the IPCC report on climate change released a few weeks ago is very current too. You don't need to know them in detail, but a brief mention of them in exams can be useful to gain extra marks. This is very much the case at A2 so it gets you into good practice!

Which book did you got for a2 geography?
Dropping it, no longer a fan of Geography after last year haha
Original post by muzika

For Unit 3, I'm using these three textbooks:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-Geography-Textbook-Sue-Warn/dp/0340949546/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1382149202&sr=8-1&keywords=geography+edexcel+a2

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Geography-For-Edexcel-Student-Book/dp/0199134839/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_z

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-A2-Geography-Student-Book/dp/1846903661/ref=pd_sim_b_5

My school purchased all three this year and we pay a £20 deposit for them, rather than having to spend close to £70 for books that'll only last a year. I'm going to try and read one book for each of the six topics we do, or at least look further into the topics. Hoping to mug some of my uncle's books on oil and energy for Unit 3, I'm sure he won't mind, haha.

For Unit 4, the textbooks have very little content on the topics. I'm going to get the Student Unit Guide for revision, and a few of them have recommended reading lists, so I'm going to pick out a few of the titles from there (I think I've got 1 or 2 already).

Using Geography Review throughout A2 for additional case studies and information too.

By the way, these aren't all 'essential'. I'm only using so much information because I'm applying to study Geography at university and I'm trying my hardest to get an A*!
Reply 11
i am doing more further reading into the subject and also i am expanding the range of geographical topics i write about on my blog. I already rewrite or type up my notes immediately after a lesson and i often expand on these notes by using my textbook and articles from geography review and geography online, which my teacher regularly gives me. most of my case studies come from recent events or from articles we read in class or videos we watch in class as the case studies in the textbooks are usually out of date and used by a lot of candidates.
Original post by tgwktm
i am doing more further reading into the subject and also i am expanding the range of geographical topics i write about on my blog. I already rewrite or type up my notes immediately after a lesson and i often expand on these notes by using my textbook and articles from geography review and geography online, which my teacher regularly gives me. most of my case studies come from recent events or from articles we read in class or videos we watch in class as the case studies in the textbooks are usually out of date and used by a lot of candidates.

Fully agree with this too - we have a class blog and it's really useful.
Original post by tgwktm

Could you please provide the link to your blog , i would really like to look at it and possibly even learn from you , who knows i might be missing a trick.
Reply 14
Could you please provide the link to your blog , i would really like to look at it and possibly even learn from you , who knows i might be missing a trick.

yeah sure, here it is: http://vamoswearegolden.wordpress.com/ let me know what you think of it :smile:
Original post by tgwktm
yeah sure, here it is: http://vamoswearegolden.wordpress.com/ let me know what you think of it :smile:

Just had a quick look through your website and i must say initially it looks very impressive , i am going to bookmark this one.

Thanks x
Reply 16
Just had a quick look through your website and i must say initially it looks very impressive , i am going to bookmark this one.

Thanks x

thank you very much, i usually add a new article every weekend, in holidays when i have more time i usually write more often
Original post by muzika

How much time and effort did you put in for Case Studies ?
The two things I want to do - Don't let myself lag behind like last time and also to try and revise more from Mark Schemes so I get a better understanding of what the Examiners want.
Reply 19
Just started a levels & got myself in a bit of a sticky situation, was wondering if anyone could give me some advice? Here's the thread : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2498168

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending