The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Psychology at St Andrews

Hi everyone! I was hoping to get an insight on how the psychology course at St Andrews is, since I am considering applying to this university after I finish high school. I am an EU student and studying psychology (in UK!) has been my life-long dream. Right now, I am considering two affordable options - St Andrews and Aberdeen (though Aberdeen is a bit expensive for me). So, basically what I want to know about the course (mainly) is: 1) is it good (lectures, workshops etc.) 2) is it well viewed in terms on employability (is it like...respected among employers?) 3) is there anything seriously troubling about the university life there? Thank you.
Reply 1
Regarding uni life, read this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=626091
personally, I enjoy it but I don't know what type of person you are.

If you are looking for an office job, I just want to say that there are several other degrees that will offer a better employability rate than psychology. But it DEPENDS on what YOU want to do in the future.

Unfortunately I can't answer your other question. However, a few of my friends do psychology and they are enjoying it very much.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 2
Original post by srsthsr
Regarding uni life, read this thread: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=626091

If you are looking for an office job, I just want to say that there are several other degrees that will offer a better employability rate than psychology. But it DEPENDS on what YOU want to do in the future.

Unfortunately I can't answer your other question. However, a few of my friends do psychology and they are enjoying it very much.

So, what you are saying is that Psychology graduates find a job very hard or if at all? Are you saying this because you've heard so or do you have friends that work in the domain? I'm getting very contradictory opinions on this subject (Psychology employability) and now I am officially confused... Thank you for answering :smile:
Reply 3
I dont understand... you want to study psychology because you care about employability, or because you are interested in studying the subject... Im just suggesting that if all you want to do is work a random office job ... there are so many other subjects that would be more useful in doing so like law, medicine, history, engineering etc which all have great employment outlooks and versatility. But if you are interested in the subject and looking for a career path in that direction, by all means go for it :biggrin: ! Tell me why you want to study psychology and maybe I can give you a better opinion

I know a few psychology students who just graduated, a few of them don't know what to do and a few have gotten jobs. :biggrin:
Reply 4
Original post by srsthsr

It doesn't matter.

Most grad schemes ask for grads from any discipline at a 2.1 level.
Reply 5
Original post by srsthsr
I dont understand... you want to study psychology because you care about employability, or because you are interested in studying the subject... Im just suggesting that if all you want to do is work a random office job ... there are so many other subjects that would be more useful in doing so like law, medicine, history, engineering etc which all have great employment outlooks and versatility. But if you are interested in the subject and looking for a career path in that direction, by all means go for it :biggrin: ! Tell me why you want to study psychology and maybe I can give you a better opinion

I know a few psychology students who just graduated, a few of them don't know what to do and a few have gotten jobs. :biggrin:

Ok, I see what you meant. No, I know what I want to study and I am very passionate about Psychology (I participated in a national level competition on this subject :biggrin:) and, personally, I would love to work in psychiatry (which, as far as I've seen is being taught in the psychology course - in my country you learn it in Med school). I looked for top 50 UK universities on psychology and St Andrews was ranked 8th so what I want to know is whether or notit lifts up to this "review". I was thinking that how good this department is in a university influences my chances of employability :smile: If you can give me any advice about this -now that I hope I've cleared things up- I would really appreciate it :biggrin:
Reply 6
Original post by allievy
Ok, I see what you meant. No, I know what I want to study and I am very passionate about Psychology (I participated in a national level competition on this subject :biggrin:) and, personally, I would love to work in psychiatry (which, as far as I've seen is being taught in the psychology course - in my country you learn it in Med school). I looked for top 50 UK universities on psychology and St Andrews was ranked 8th so what I want to know is whether or notit lifts up to this "review". I was thinking that how good this department is in a university influences my chances of employability :smile: If you can give me any advice about this -now that I hope I've cleared things up- I would really appreciate it :biggrin:

unfortunately Im no expert on either employment or psychology so I can't help you with that. Generally, a lot of people get their interviews after graduating here regardless of degree, psychology is definitely one of the better schools in St Andrews. Thats all I can give you as I dont take the degree. Sorry! And I hope you find your answers!
Reply 7
Original post by srsthsr
unfortunately Im no expert on either employment or psychology so I can't help you with that. Generally, a lot of people get their interviews after graduating here regardless of degree, psychology is definitely one of the better schools in St Andrews. Thats all I can give you as I dont take the degree. Sorry! And I hope you find your answers!

Actually this was very helpful, thank you! I really just wanted to know if it was worth taking the psychology course at THIS university and, apparently, it is. Thanks again for your replies. Btw, what degree are you taking, if you don't mind my asking :biggrin:?
Reply 8
Original post by allievy
Actually this was very helpful, thank you! I really just wanted to know if it was worth taking the psychology course at THIS university and, apparently, it is. Thanks again for your replies. Btw, what degree are you taking, if you don't mind my asking :biggrin:?

heh, I do International Relations and Economics, going into third year soon. Let me kow if you need anything else :P If you're really desperate to know stuff about psychology here... send me a list of questions and perhaps I can get a hold of my friend to answer them for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending