Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if its possible to find out the marks you got in your exam paper/papers early, rather than having to wait till August? My friend found out hers about a month after she took her exam back in April!

ReputationRep:
    I doubt that very much, even though the examiners mark all the papers within a week of being done. But there are loads of processes where they have to submit a sample of the ones marked to the ''higher'' people in the examining board, who go through each and every paper in detail, and etc - so it does take a long time, but it may be different for different exam boards, I'm really not sure...

ReputationRep:
    there are no ways of finding it out.... all you can do is wait until you get them in august - it's the same for everyone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skribla)
    there are no ways of finding it out.... all you can do is wait until you get them in august - it's the same for everyone
    Actually, there are a few ways...

1. Last year, my friend got a letter from his uni, saying congratulations, your offer has been met. This letter was dated a 2 days before results day, and it arrived at my friends house the day before results day!

2. Look at your local newspapers' online eductional setion. At midnight, before the results come out, the newspaper lists all the schools and colleges in the local area, and lists the surnames of all the students. It then puts a number next to your name such as 8(9). This means that you have taken 9 GCSE's, and passed 8.
    This is only useful in finding out how many exams you have passed though, as it doesn't give you the grades.

ReputationRep:
    the reason your friend got them in april is because she likely sat them in the winter session, and the results from the winter session are given out in less time than the summer ones

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by College Guy 1987)
    Actually, there are a few ways...

1. Last year, my friend got a letter from his uni, saying congratulations, your offer has been met. This letter was dated a 2 days before results day, and it arrived at my friends house the day before results day!.
    That would be nice, but it doesn't necessarily mean you've achieved your offer grades; you could have done better, or you could have missed your offer but the university decided to let you in anyway.

(Original post by College Guy 1987)
    2. Look at your local newspapers' online eductional setion. At midnight, before the results come out, the newspaper lists all the schools and colleges in the local area, and lists the surnames of all the students. It then puts a number next to your name such as 8(9). This means that you have taken 9 GCSE's, and passed 8.
    This is only useful in finding out how many exams you have passed though, as it doesn't give you the grades.
    Are you sure all local newspapers do that or just yours? In any case, I'd imagine everyone on TSR is aiming higher than just passing, so it wouldn't help much.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Unis are not allowed to tell people they got in early, or send out letters that will arrive on or before results day. The "my friend..." thing is just a made up story that may have happened years ago, but since unis want to keep their privileges of getting results early they will not do it any more.

Also, most local papers don't list results, and those that do probably won't update online at midnight.

ReputationRep:
    Bring on August 17th...

ReputationRep:
    I should have guessed that there will be some sceptics.

I know for a fact that all the local press around my area updated at midnight last year (I was up and praying!). As for people on TSR who 'shouldn't fail' GCSE's, it is reassuring to find that you actually haven't failed any IMO (especially your weaker subjects that are going to be dropped for A level).

Also, my friend really did get his confirmation letter a day before results day. This is possibly because he lives very close to the uni itself. It doesn't tell you what grades you get, but it is more important to know that you got in.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if this counts as 'early' or not, but last year I got congratulated by our Deputy Head as I walked in to school to collect my results envelope. About 30 seconds early, I suppose, but it meant that there wasn't a dread moment just as I unfolded the statement thinking I might have done really badly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    ... The "my friend..." thing is just a made up story that may have happened years ago, but since unis want to keep their privileges of getting results early they will not do it any more....
    Are you on about universities sending you letters on results day? Because if you are do you mean that they will not do it again as of this year or they will not do it again as of a few years ago, but still do occasionally for ease of admin ect. because I know for a fact some people last year at my college got their letter of acceptance on results day morning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    Unis are not allowed to tell people they got in early, or send out letters that will arrive on or before results day. The "my friend..." thing is just a made up story that may have happened years ago, but since unis want to keep their privileges of getting results early they will not do it any more.

Also, most local papers don't list results, and those that do probably won't update online at midnight.
    actually sometimes you can find out through UCAS on the same day or they day before if u have met the conditions of the offer. I know several people that did this last year.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by akash_a88)
    actually sometimes you can find out through UCAS on the same day or they day before if u have met the conditions of the offer. I know several people that did this last year.
    UCAS Track was suspended last year for about a week before results day :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    a history lecturer at uea said they get the results about a week before results day, so he said just to ring them up on the monday before the 17th.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by angels&airwaves)
    a history lecturer at uea said they get the results about a week before results day, so he said just to ring them up on the monday before the 17th.
    They do get results early, but they are not allowed to tell you early! They get into big trouble if they do, and could lose the ability to see results before results day which will cause chaos.

However, if you already know you're in Clearing (or have a really strong suspicion you might be) you can start contacting other unis to see if they're likely to have spaces.

ReputationRep:
    For GCSEs, my school rang up the top 8 or so people with the best grades for a photo for the paper. I found that out at about 8am, others found out a couple of hours later..

I know it's not massively early and I didn't know my exact grades, but it was a relief to know I had done well!

Sarah

ReputationRep:
    Lose a tooth, put it under your pillow and wish for your exam results to come early??

ReputationRep:
    Do not under any circumstances follow the link below

http://smithms.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/

You twit, now you are going to use it every single day

Only 64 Days

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noxid)

Only 64 Days
    That one sucks (no offense lol), someone posted one with 'it's the final count down' song, which is more interesting than that repetitive 24 sound (although I do like 24 a lot :p:). Ok, enough of me jibbering....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noxid)

Only 64 Days
    nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo why did I click it Oh well, and I agree with the above post, the final countdown one is better.

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.