Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I just wondered if a chemistry genius out there could quickly explain these for me. I've never really understood them! I do AQA Modular Triple award btw! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Its for electrolysis. The liquid (or aqueous solution) is basically the two ions (positive and negative) floating in water (kind of). The one ion goes to an electrode and the other to the other electrode. The half equations are just what goes on at each one instead of as a whole.

ReputationRep:
    If you are given the mass of the product at one electrode, how do you work out the mass made at the other electrode?? That's what I don't get.

ReputationRep:
    I think Electrolysis Half Equations are the hardest things to learn in Chemistry, even out of the Contact Process etc etc... My chem teacher told me to "self learn" the 1/2 equations topic; probably 'cos he didn't understand it!

Anyway, i've said: "forget them, focus on the other stuff", they may only be worth a couple of marks.

ReputationRep:
    Well in answer to Excalibur's question, you do as follows: (I'm pretty sure this is triple stuff though)

Basically you work out the no. of moles of that substance that was evolved by doing mass/RAM.
    Then you see what charge the ion of that substance has. e.g. K+, H+, Cl- etc.
    Then you see what is discharged at the other electrode, and compare its charge to the substance who's mass you know. If the charge is the same, the same number of moles will be evolved; if its double the charge HALF the number of moles will be evolved etc. So you find out how many moles are discharged and then multiply this by the RAM to give the mass.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by excellent_em)
    Well in answer to Excalibur's question, you do as follows: (I'm pretty sure this is triple stuff though)

Basically you work out the no. of moles of that substance that was evolved by doing mass/RAM.
    Then you see what charge the ion of that substance has. e.g. K+, H+, Cl- etc.
    Then you see what is discharged at the other electrode, and compare its charge to the substance who's mass you know. If the charge is the same, the same number of moles will be evolved; if its double the charge HALF the number of moles will be evolved etc. So you find out how many moles are discharged and then multiply this by the RAM to give the mass.

Hope this helps
    OK, I think I understand... would you be able to go through it with an example at all?

ReputationRep:
    yes an example would be best

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.