The Student Room Group

Chemistry with Mathematics at UCL!

Hey guys, I have recently completed my AS Levels and am planning to take up Medicine as a career in the future. My first choice will be Medicine, but for my Insurance choice I'm thinking of choosing Chemistry with Mathematics at UCL. I had a look at the typical A Level requirements they ask for, and they were AAA-AAB. My question is that if I choose that alongside Medicine would it be a sensible choice (I would genuinely like it as my Insurance choice)? Also, would I be able to reapply for Medicine after doing this course (because I can't seem to find this out on the website)? Any help is appreciated. :smile:
Original post by 123456789012
Hey guys, I have recently completed my AS Levels and am planning to take up Medicine as a career in the future. My first choice will be Medicine, but for my Insurance choice I'm thinking of choosing Chemistry with Mathematics at UCL. I had a look at the typical A Level requirements they ask for, and they were AAA-AAB. My question is that if I choose that alongside Medicine would it be a sensible choice (I would genuinely like it as my Insurance choice)? Also, would I be able to reapply for Medicine after doing this course (because I can't seem to find this out on the website)? Any help is appreciated. :smile:

The only way universities would know is if you wrote in your personal statement why you have chosen chemistry with maths (not advised) or apply to UCL Medicine in which case it is unlikely to have a significant impact on your application- I haven't seen anyone going for ucl medicine alongside chemistry and maths but I have seen a fifth option with courses like pharmacology/biomedical sciences etc and they've gotten on fine.

You would be able to apply for medicine after your degree also.
Reply 2
Original post by AspiringGenius
The only way universities would know is if you wrote in your personal statement why you have chosen chemistry with maths (not advised) or apply to UCL Medicine in which case it is unlikely to have a significant impact on your application- I haven't seen anyone going for ucl medicine alongside chemistry and maths but I have seen a fifth option with courses like pharmacology/biomedical sciences etc and they've gotten on fine.

You would be able to apply for medicine after your degree also.

Oh okay. Say for example if I apply for something like Medicinal Chemistry at King's College would it still affect my application significantly? Thanks a lot for the advice by the way. Much appreciated.*:smile:
Original post by 123456789012
Oh okay. Say for example if I apply for something like Medicinal Chemistry at King's College would it still affect my application significantly? Thanks a lot for the advice by the way. Much appreciated.*:smile:

As before unis wouldn't know apart from if you were to mention it on your PS or apply to Kings medicine and I'm sure it wouldn't have any effect on your application.

Quick Reply

Latest