The Student Room Group

TSR Chemical Engineers

Scroll to see replies

Hello again.

How's everyone doing? Offer holders, students and graduates alike?
Original post by Ade9000
Hello again.

How's everyone doing? Offer holders, students and graduates alike?

Hello.

Now that you have graduated, I was wondering what were your thoughts of being a chemical engineer. Do you enjoy being a chemical engineer?
Original post by New Identity
Hello.

Now that you have graduated, I was wondering what were your thoughts of being a chemical engineer. Do you enjoy being a chemical engineer?

Well...currently I'm not a chemical engineer (I'm not working as one, at least), I'm at a power plant instead.

But, I worked as a process engineer with an agrochemical company previously. My time there was good, I did quite a bit of process chemistry but as for the engineering side, I found that a lot of what I learned was either irrelevant or lacking. This is somewhat to be expected given that role was rather specific.

To answer your question, I did enjoy my brief stint as a chemical engineer, and I do hope to get back to it.
Original post by Ade9000
Well...currently I'm not a chemical engineer (I'm not working as one, at least), I'm at a power plant instead.

But, I worked as a process engineer with an agrochemical company previously. My time there was good, I did quite a bit of process chemistry but as for the engineering side, I found that a lot of what I learned was either irrelevant or lacking. This is somewhat to be expected given that role was rather specific.

To answer your question, I did enjoy my brief stint as a chemical engineer, and I do hope to get back to it.

Thanks for the reply.
Hope you keep on enjoying your career.

How long did it take you to find your first job? and was it satisfying?, if you don't mind me asking
Thanks for the reply.
Hope you keep on enjoying your career.

How long did it take you to find your first job? and was it satisfying?, if you don't mind me asking

Oh it took a while. My whole fourth year job hunting plus 4 months post graduation.

It was satisfying to finally have work, even if it was on a contractual basis.
Original post by Ade9000
Oh it took a while. My whole fourth year job hunting plus 4 months post graduation.

It was satisfying to finally have work, even if it was on a contractual basis.

If you had the chance to get into any career you want, what career would you choose now?

would you still choose chemical engineering?
(edited 5 years ago)
If you had the chance to get into any career you want, what career would you choose now?

would you still choose chemical engineering?

Difficult to say. It would either be chemical engineering, chemistry or tech. I could still pursue any of these careers right now if I wanted.
Original post by Ade9000
Difficult to say. It would either be chemical engineering, chemistry or tech. I could still pursue any of these careers right now if I wanted.

That's reassuring, thanks for replying. :biggrin:
Hi all,

Not a regular TSR user so apologies if I'm not the best on here! I am applying to university in 2019 and, having taken a lot of time and consideration in my research, I hope to apply for Chemical Engineering. At GCSEs, I achieved 8A*s 2As and at A Level I am studying Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths (having taken an EPQ this year). I will be taking Mechanics as both of my optional modules for Further Maths. The dream would be MEng at Imperial or Cambridge (NatSci route).

What I am looking for is any advice from you guys in my position in regards to applications and universities and also, from those further along in their journey, any advice for the future.

Thanks in advance!
Original post by Anon4012
Hi all,

Not a regular TSR user so apologies if I'm not the best on here! I am applying to university in 2019 and, having taken a lot of time and consideration in my research, I hope to apply for Chemical Engineering. At GCSEs, I achieved 8A*s 2As and at A Level I am studying Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths (having taken an EPQ this year). I will be taking Mechanics as both of my optional modules for Further Maths. The dream would be MEng at Imperial or Cambridge (NatSci route).

What I am looking for is any advice from you guys in my position in regards to applications and universities and also, from those further along in their journey, any advice for the future.

Thanks in advance!

Looks like your academics are on track. :yy:

If you want to chat with other potential Cambridge applicants you can use this thread

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4411262
The Official 2019 Cambridge Applicants Thread

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone know what its like going into finance, banking, etc with a chemical engineering degree? Would companies then favour students from higher ranked unis?
Original post by rahsain
Anyone know what its like going into finance, banking, etc with a chemical engineering degree? Would companies then favour students from higher ranked unis?

You need >>> The "Is this university/course good enough for banking/consultancy?" thread

:wink:
Hey everyone,

I don't do physics at A-level but i study chem, maths and biology would that lower my chances of getting into chemical engineering?
Original post by Rabin2001
Hey everyone,

I don't do physics at A-level but i study chem, maths and biology would that lower my chances of getting into chemical engineering?

No most unis wants maths, chem and another science or further maths so you should be fine.
Hi,

I just wanted to check if that book would be suitable for me to write about in my personal statement.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Beginners-Guide-Engineering-Chemical/dp/1492965049/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1537909919&sr=8-6

Quick Reply

Latest