The Student Room Group

Higher Maths Qualifications

Hello, I am looking for a good higher maths qualification. I am planning on self teaching A-Level Maths. I am not really fussed if it is not a well recognised qual but as long as it is good and interesting :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JosephSF
Hello, I am looking for a good higher maths qualification. I am planning on self teaching A-Level Maths. I am not really fussed if it is not a well recognised qual but as long as it is good and interesting :smile:

What is your question? Are you asking whether A Level Maths is well regarded? It is.
Reply 2
Original post by Mr M
What is your question? Are you asking whether A Level Maths is well regarded? It is.

I was wondering if there's any other maths qualifications you can do. To enhance learning and just for the cv as well
I was wondering if there's any other maths qualifications you can do. To enhance learning and just for the cv as well

We went through this a few days ago.

AS Further Mathematics
A2 Further Mathematics
Advanced Extension Award

That should be enough for now.
Reply 4

Assuming you've only done up to GCSE Maths, A-Level Maths is the next best qualification to get.
Reply 5
Original post by Mr M
We went through this a few days ago.

AS Further Mathematics
A2 Further Mathematics
Advanced Extension Award

That should be enough for now.

Thanks, What is the Advanced Extension Award?
Reply 6
Original post by Noble.
Assuming you've only done up to GCSE Maths, A-Level Maths is the next best qualification to get.

Thanks! Yah, I was just looking for something to do tbh like the Royal Society Of Stats does qualifications
Reply 7
Thanks, What is the Advanced Extension Award?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Advanced+Extension+Award
Original post by Noble.

Apparently this poster attends an institution that does not offer A Level mathematics because so few people want to take it. Seems mighty odd as maths is the second most popular A Level nationally.
Reply 9
Original post by Mr M
Apparently this poster attends an institution that does not offer A Level mathematics because so few people want to take it. Seems mighty odd as maths is the second most popular A Level nationally.

The Majority of the students go on to do vocational courses or drop out

Why don't you just go somewhere else?
Reply 11
Original post by Mr M

Sounds like you desperately need to be attending another college. I can't even begin to think how useless they're going to be supporting a student taking 'academic' A-Levels if they can't even find enough people to teach A-Level Maths.
Reply 12
Original post by Mr M
Why don't you just go somewhere else?

Bingo. Just posted the same thing.
Reply 13
Original post by Noble.
Sounds like you desperately need to be attending another college. I can't even begin to think how useless they're going to be supporting a student taking 'academic' A-Levels if they can't even find enough people to teach A-Level Maths.

Thanks, I did not apply anywhere else. I was thinking of waiting till september then trying to apply else where
Reply 14
Thanks, I did not apply anywhere else. I was thinking of waiting till september then trying to apply else where

No, do not wait until September. Start getting in contact with some of the more respectable colleges in your area now, don't bother waiting until September unless you want to run the risk of not finding another college. Out of interest, what college is this that doesn't teach A-Level Maths?

Why wait? Give us some links to other possible providers and we will pick one for you.

:tongue:
Information we need:

Your expected GCSE grades (all of them).

Your preferred choice of A Levels.

Your preferred career path - I know you have posted this before (was it Environmental Science?) but I can't be bothered to search.

Your location and the maximum distance you can travel.
Reply 17
Original post by Mr M
Information we need:

Your expected GCSE grades (all of them).

Your preferred choice of A Levels.

Your preferred career path - I know you have posted this before (was it Environmental Science?) but I can't be bothered to search.

Your location and the maximum distance you can travel.

Sorry I was getting dressed.

GCSE

English Predicted B
Maths Predicted B
Science Double Predicted B
Psychology Predicted A
Electronics Predicted C
RE Short Predicted A
French Predicted C
BTEC Science (Y9) Predicted 4* Merit Gained 4*D*'s
NCFE Equality and Diversity Distinction
OCR Nats ICT Predicted C

A-Levels

Biology

Chemistry

Psychology

Sociology

Maths (Self Teaching)

Career

Environmental BioChemistry With Agriculture

​Liverpool City Can Travel Anywhere as long as its by public transport

Reply 18
Sorry I was getting dressed.

GCSE

English Predicted B
Maths Predicted B
Science Double Predicted B
Psychology Predicted A
Electronics Predicted C
RE Short Predicted A
French Predicted C
BTEC Science (Y9) Predicted 4* Merit Gained 4*D*'s
NCFE Equality and Diversity Distinction
OCR Nats ICT Predicted C

A-Levels

Biology

Chemistry

Psychology

Sociology

Maths (Self Teaching)

Career

Environmental BioChemistry With Agriculture

​Liverpool City Can Travel Anywhere as long as its by public transport

There's no need to do five A-Levels, certainly not both psychology and sociology. Which college is it you currently intend on going to?
Reply 19
Original post by Noble.
There's no need to do five A-Levels, certainly not both psychology and sociology. Which college is it you currently intend on going to?

I want to go to Ireland and study and the Entry Points are strict so with maths an E is 25 points and that would be enough to get me on to my course with 2 A* and 2A's. I don't know because there is so many colleges

Quick Reply

Latest