Advanced Higher Physics 2013 - 2014: Discussion and Help Thread Watch

FizzicsGuy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi I could't find one for us sitting AH physics in 2014 so I thought I'd make one. So who is taking it this year and what did you get in your exam?

Has anyone got any ideas for an investigation and any links to good websites covering unit 1?
nECS
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by FizzicsGuy)
Hi I could't find one for us sitting AH physics in 2014 so I thought I'd make one. So who is taking it this year and what did you get in your exam?

Has anyone got any ideas for an investigation and any links to good websites covering unit 1?
I'm taking it, got an A in the higher - pretty confident it was a band 1, but I'm too lazy to check :L

Alas, I don't have any sound ideas for the investigation yet - but I'm still holding onto the idea of cracking cold fusion in my shed :P
nECS
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Figured this thread probably needed a bump, Physics is going pretty well for me atm, but going by the amount of effort the uncertainties in our learning outcome experiment thingy required, it could be about to get a bit tricky :P
kylerfc
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yeah I am doing AH this year too

I am looking at the viscocity of different liquids I think but not too sure.
RD208
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Got an A1 at higher and doing my investigation on moment of inertia which is quite useful actually as we will soon be covering it in class.
FizzicsGuy
Rep:
?
Does anyone know where I can get a unit 1 practice NAB?
nECS
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Does anyone know where I can get a unit 1 practice NAB?
Don't know for sure, but have you tried scholar?
FizzicsGuy
Rep:
?
(Original post by nECS)
Don't know for sure, but have you tried scholar?
Yeah but I forgot my password
MrCobb
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yeah I'm doing Adv. Physics this year. I've had some ideas for the investigation. So far I've been considering a little acoustical engineering by way of filters and such. However I intend to build a telsa coil if it satisfies my school's health and safety conditions and my teacher gives it the go ahead. Should be a fun year.
FizzicsGuy
Rep:
?
I want to do something related to the Mechanics unit but I'm struggling to come up with ideas.
Asklepios
  • Study Helper
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I want to do something related to the Mechanics unit but I'm struggling to come up with ideas.
Have a look here bro. Although this is for experiments carried out in HW labs, your school will have quite a lot of the equipment needed, but there will be some things on the list you can't do in school.
SCHOLARuk
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yeah but I forgot my password
Hi, this may be a bit late but did you manage to get your SCHOLAR password sorted out yet? If not we would suggest that you ask your physics teacher or you could enquire at the school office. Any problems let us know!
LionKing1
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by SCHOLARuk)
Hi, this may be a bit late but did you get your manage to get your SCHOLAR password sorted out yet? If not we would suggest that you ask your physics teacher or you could enquire at the school office. Any problems let us know!
My school said that they haven't sent any of our details to scholar about our courses yet because we are using a new computer system and it ****ed up
Irythm
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hello! I'm doing it this year too, and I'm really enjoying it so far. Got an A2 last year.
SCHOLARuk
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by LionKing1)
My school said that they haven't sent any of our details to scholar about our courses yet because we are using a new computer system and it ****ed up
Ah, that's a pain. Unfortunately we can't do anything until your school sends the details. If you want to message us with the name of your school (and, optionally, your name as well) then we will get in touch with them about it...
tomctutor
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

As well as Asklepios link a few posts back: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...1&postcount=11

IAmAce started last years TSR thread Advanced Higher Physics 2012-2013 : Discussion and Help Thread at http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...09&postcount=1

Here's also the previous years 2011-12 link http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...62&postcount=1
if anyone interested.
This thread discusses investigations, links and general tutorial problems that all you guys are repeating here this year- so it would not hurt to spend a few hours reading through these previous years threads for ideas etc.

All Highland Virtual Learning (HVLC) videos can be found on my Youtube channel link-here: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...I2WrVu91LAe_cm
(note- the original videos at Highland learning don't appear to be available anymore!)

trinity has good links here:http://www.hswd.co.uk/trinity/index.php?menu=0&page=150

My own site: http://physics.tomctutor.com/
has detailed notes on the AHP stuff (Excel notes etc and tutorials)

so good luck yae-all and get stuck in (its Adv. Higher) yae canna crash it Yae need ta swat hard.
coolgirlaamy
Report 5 years ago
Hi. I got an A band 1 in physics last year and since im going into engineering, I thought I should give AH physics a try. So far its been okay-ish but I suppose the hardest thing is just knowing what formulas to use and how to derive different equations during a question.
My investigation is the proportional relationship between magnetic flux density B and current I and I just have to do my last experiment before I get to the report and trying to do my uncertainties.
tomctutor
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by coolgirlaamy)
Hi. I got an A band 1 in physics last year and since im going into engineering, I thought I should give AH physics a try. So far its been okay-ish but I suppose the hardest thing is just knowing what formulas to use and how to derive different equations during a question.
My investigation is the proportional relationship between magnetic flux density B and current I and I just have to do my last experiment before I get to the report and trying to do my uncertainties.
Helmholtz coils are quite accurate arrangement for producing a linear magnetic field, paraxial and central of course, the only problem is getting the central axis of the coils aligned - can be tricky. You can measure the B- field strength with a semiconductor probe (Hall Effect calibrated of course). Be careful to ensure that the probe is orientated precisely - using twist until you get maximum reading etc. The desk and clamps can affect the results- think shielding! Lots to try and write up- take lots of readings, more than one set in any run. There is also a way to measure the force produced by a wire carrying a current through the poles of an electromagnet F=Bil technique, using a weighing machine pan etc - you could maybe do both experiments.
The Helmholtz coil stuff at: link

The top-pan balance experimental method is well covered in the doc: link

Good luck, to really impress your markers best to do an Excel sheet with plots etc as explained in my web-site (mentioned in previous post).

IMPORTANT: sketch or photos of your experimental setup showing important equipment, what you are measuring, how you measured what and the calibration of your equipment - especially current meters or probes.

Try to produce a direct-proportional graph - slope!
Your graphs must show measurement errors bars.

Just ideas!
coolgirlaamy
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by tomctutor)
Helmholtz coils are quite accurate arrangement for producing a linear magnetic field, paraxial and central of course, the only problem is getting the central axis of the coils aligned - can be tricky. You can measure the B- field strength with a semiconductor probe (Hall Effect calibrated of course). Be careful to ensure that the probe is orientated precisely - using twist until you get maximum reading etc. The desk and clamps can affect the results- think shielding! Lots to try and write up- take lots of readings, more than one set in any run. There is also a way to measure the force produced by a wire carrying a current through the poles of an electromagnet F=Bil technique, using a weighing machine pan etc - you could maybe do both experiments.
The Helmholtz coil stuff at: link

The top-pan balance experimental method is well covered in the doc: link

Good luck, to really impress your markers best to do an Excel sheet with plots etc as explained in my web-site (mentioned in previous post).

IMPORTANT: sketch or photos of your experimental setup showing important equipment, what you are measuring, how you measured what and the calibration of your equipment - especially current meters or probes.

Try to produce a direct-proportional graph - slope!
Your graphs must show measurement errors bars.

Just ideas!
oh, thanks I've tried the current balance method and the hall probe method so far. Right now, im working on an experiment that includes a search coil connected to an oscilloscope which will measure the induced voltage across the ends of the search coil inside a slinky solenoid.
nECS
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
We started this year with our investigations so mine's nice and finished Just on the topic of graphs and stuff that were mentioned above, the LINEST function on EXCEL is an absolute godsend! It will calculate the exact gradient of your graph as well as the uncertainty in your gradient (saves all that pesky fannying about with quadrilaterals and what not!) among other interesting things. I believe, although you may have to ask the more experienced people above, that if you use it then you don't have to do error bars. Don't treat that as gospel though, make sure you check with someone else.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1099)
79.12%
Leave (290)
20.88%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise