Do I need an Additional Maths GCSE to take IB Higher Level Maths?

Watch
granderre
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I need to decide my IB subjects and I'm pretty much set except for one problem--I don't know whether I should take Maths HL or SL. My school doesn't offer an Additional Maths GCSE, so I can't take it (I'm just starting Year 11), but I've taken many Maths GCSE past papers and gotten close to perfect scores for all of them, so I'm not expecting to have too much trouble with Additional Maths (I don't know exactly how difficult it's supposed to be). If I don't take Additional Maths will I struggle in IB Higher Level Maths? Should I try to take extra classes to cover those topics as well?
gravesy
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
You don't need additional maths for HL but it is extremely hard and I would not advise taking it unless it is necessary for what you want to go and do. I achieved an A in my AS maths in year 11 and still only got a 5 in HL maths.
AquisM
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by granderre)
I need to decide my IB subjects and I'm pretty much set except for one problem--I don't know whether I should take Maths HL or SL. My school doesn't offer an Additional Maths GCSE, so I can't take it (I'm just starting Year 11), but I've taken many Maths GCSE past papers and gotten close to perfect scores for all of them, so I'm not expecting to have too much trouble with Additional Maths (I don't know exactly how difficult it's supposed to be). If I don't take Additional Maths will I struggle in IB Higher Level Maths? Should I try to take extra classes to cover those topics as well?
Having taken Add Maths would be preferable. I took Add Maths IGCSE and right now I'm predicted a high 5, so make of that what you will. If your course doesn't require HL Maths I strongly suggest that you not take it since SL Maths will strongly boost your total score and lessen your workload.
Posted from TSR Mobile
granderre
Rep:
?
(Original post by AquisM)
Having taken Add Maths would be preferable. I took Add Maths IGCSE and right now I'm predicted a high 5, so make of that what you will. If your course doesn't require HL Maths I strongly suggest that you not take it since SL Maths will strongly boost your total score and lessen your workload.
Posted from TSR Mobile
The thing is I may go down the Maths/Physics route, so I think I should lest I won't meet the entry requirements for the course I want. That being said, should I try to cover as much of Add Maths as possible? Perhaps if I can't handle the HL course I can switch later on to SL.
AquisM
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by granderre)
The thing is I may go down the Maths/Physics route, so I think I should lest I won't meet the entry requirements for the course I want. That being said, should I try to cover as much of Add Maths as possible? Perhaps if I can't handle the HL course I can switch later on to SL.
If Maths/Physics is a uni possibility for you, then you have no choice but to take Maths HL. In any case, covering Add Maths will help you in either of the courses, so do as much as you can. And yes, of course, if you decide that HL is too much for you you can always switch to SL, but then you will almost certainly have to forgo studying Maths/Physics in uni.
co2014
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I may sound like a bit of an idiot, but this has been confusing me for a while..

By GCSE, do you mean A-level (equivalent to IB), or O-Level ( like the IGCSE course I did before IB)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
granderre
Rep:
?
(Original post by co2014)
I may sound like a bit of an idiot, but this has been confusing me for a while..

By GCSE, do you mean A-level (equivalent to IB), or O-Level ( like the IGCSE course I did before IB)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry, I mean O-Level.
BananaPie
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Additional Mathematics may help you with IB HL Mathematics, but it's not a "need". I myself never studied additional math and did my IGCSE Math exam in year 11 (The normal IGCSE Math exam) and went straight to IB HL Math in year 12 and got an overall 7 for my May 2013 examinations. What matters most is the amount of effort and dedication you have to the subject. Why are you studying math? Do you enjoy spending large amounts of time studying math? Ask yourself questions like these and if you say yes to them then HL Math may be for you regardless of whether you've done additional maths or not. Many people in my year who did the additional math exam got level 6s for HL Math. It's a tough course but, as I mentioned before, an additional math background is not necessary but may help.
kamlin
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
hello.It would be really really useful to have an additional maths background for the said IB maths exam.Having said that, no fear, go to this site check it out and learn up igcse add maths ... its a complete sufficient course...

www.themathscentre.com

Good luck.. no fear..
granderre
Rep:
?
Thanks for your help everyone!! I'll try my best to read up on Add Maths.
anp97
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'm going to start the IB in September, but have the same problem of not knowing wether to take higher or standard maths, I want to study astrophysics at university. However in my GCSE maths, I can get a safe B without revision, and am aiming for an A, would HL maths be too hard?
gravesy
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by LittleMissGallif)
I'm going to start the IB in September, but have the same problem of not knowing wether to take higher or standard maths, I want to study astrophysics at university. However in my GCSE maths, I can get a safe B without revision, and am aiming for an A, would HL maths be too hard?
I would say SL unless you were a strong A or A*, however make sure you check university requirement for astrophysics at universities you might possibly want to go to. You don't want to take SL then find that you need HL to do astrophysics. It would still be possible if you got a B/A but you would have to put a lot of work in. Hope this helps
eaw
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hey, I have a comment/question somehow related to the topic. If you want to go study something related to physics, many British universities (virtually all of them) also require physics HL. However, there are schools (like mine) that do not offer physics at HL.

So my question is, are the requirements unconditional? Can students with like a 7 from SL physics get in? If this was the case then I'd think that they would put it like "5 in physics HL OR 7 in physics SL". I really don't know how this works.
williamnguyen
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hi everyone,

I will be in year 9 after summer and will start studying IGCSE Mathematics as I'm in set 1. I'm wondering what is necessary to do for me to achieve 100% in the exams a part from self study and tutors. I would really appreciate if you could help? Also, I know I will do additional maths in year 11, so is there any else regarding the preparation that is necessary? Thank you very much!
_a_d_
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by eaw)
Hey, I have a comment/question somehow related to the topic. If you want to go study something related to physics, many British universities (virtually all of them) also require physics HL. However, there are schools (like mine) that do not offer physics at HL.

So my question is, are the requirements unconditional? Can students with like a 7 from SL physics get in? If this was the case then I'd think that they would put it like "5 in physics HL OR 7 in physics SL". I really don't know how this works.
i would recommend researching the requirements of various universities (note that the better rank, the more specific they are) as many might request HL physics. also emailing universities directly might give you an idea where you want to head. sorry i cant give you a direct answer because it differentiates with each university.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (288)
55.81%
I don't have everything I need (228)
44.19%

Watched Threads