The Student Room Group

The German Football Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CB91
BVB now only 8 points off CL. :holmes:

I told my friend a few weeks ago when they started to win games they would end up finishing with cl football. It's so pleasing to see them getting back on track

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Déscartés
I told my friend a few weeks ago when they started to win games they would end up finishing with cl football. It's so pleasing to see them getting back on track

Posted from TSR Mobile

Up next is Hamburg away so they should be able to continue this run (especially with Reus in the form he's in).

The Batman/Robin celebration was pretty funny as well.
Original post by CB91
Up next is Hamburg away so they should be able to continue this run (especially with Reus in the form he's in).

The Batman/Robin celebration was pretty funny as well.

I'm such a Reus fanboy and his form is the best football related thing this year for me. How's Hummels and Gundogan doing as well. Man Utd fan so it interests me :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good to see Dortmund turning a corner, genuinely think next season if they don't lose any key players and prevent long periods of key injuries they can challenge Bayern for the Bundesliga title. Ribery and Robben will have to decline sooner or later, Schweinsteigger and Alonso will start to decline/declined already as well as Lahm, plenty of players wrong side of 30 who are fairly reliant on pace/work rate which will drop. Alonso already is being found out e.g. by teams who press him and block his central passing lines.

Dortmund have a nice young team, Reus, Kagawa, Kampl, Gundogan, Sahin, Hummels, Sokratis, Subotic, Aubameyang, Immobile all 26 and under. Bayern have a lot more experienced heads in the side especially in midfield that are getting near the twilights of their careers. It's also yet to be seen if the likes of Bernat/Hojberg/Green/Rode/Gaudino etc. can replace those midfielders that are getting near the end of their careers. Gotze obviously is a shoein for future Bayern munich sides in midfield and possibly Alaba too whos their most versatile player but I'm unsure if the weaning in period will not affect their performances domestically, Bayern are due a bad run, and as soon as Robbery start to decline that's when they'll struggle. It's not going to stay like this for too long, unless Bayern hoover up all the top talents of the league again soon. With Guardiola giving youngsters a chance, I have a feeling that they won't do that, not yet anyway.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jam277
Good to see Dortmund turning a corner, genuinely think next season if they don't lose any key players and prevent long periods of key injuries they can challenge Bayern for the Bundesliga title. Ribery and Robben will have to decline sooner or later, Schweinsteigger and Alonso will start to decline/declined already as well as Lahm, plenty of players wrong side of 30 who are fairly reliant on pace/work rate which will drop. Alonso already is being found out e.g. by teams who press him and block his central passing lines.

Dortmund have a nice young team, Reus, Kagawa, Kampl, Gundogan, Sahin, Hummels, Sokratis, Subotic, Aubameyang, Immobile all 26 and under. Bayern have a lot more experienced heads in the side especially in midfield that are getting near the twilights of their careers. It's also yet to be seen if the likes of Bernat/Hojberg/Green/Rode/Gaudino etc. can replace those midfielders that are getting near the end of their careers. Gotze obviously is a shoein for future Bayern munich sides in midfield and possibly Alaba too whos their most versatile player but I'm unsure if the weaning in period will not affect their performances domestically, Bayern are due a bad run, and as soon as Robbery start to decline that's when they'll struggle. It's not going to stay like this for too long, unless Bayern hoover up all the top talents of the league again soon. With Guardiola giving youngsters a chance, I have a feeling that they won't do that, not yet anyway.

As far as their midfield is concerned I think they don't have to worry a great deal. From what I've seen Rode and Bernat are solid talents. Thiago also seems like he can mature into a top class midfielder and Götze's already proven himself at the highest level. Whether they can match the likes of Alonso and Schweinsteigger is yet to be seen.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Happy for BVB.
Original post by Déscartés
As far as their midfield is concerned I think they don't have to worry a great deal. From what I've seen Rode and Bernat are solid talents. Thiago also seems like he can mature into a top class midfielder and Götze's already proven himself at the highest level. Whether they can match the likes of Alonso and Schweinsteigger is yet to be seen.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I forgot about Thiago, he's had his injury problems though. Maybe a full Bayern team without injuries isn't problematic if the likes of Thiago e.g. reach their potential.

Rode is solid but do you see them taking on the mantle of Schweinsteigger, or do you see Bernat as a better solution to LB than Alaba if he takes a long term midfield/CB position in the future?
Kagawa Sahin and Gündogan is one of the finest central midfield any team can put up.

Imo anyway Gündogan was on his way to the best central midfielder before his back issue. I saw him play once in 2012, he was sublime.

Just hoping all three can find their top form soon. Sahin played better than at any time since leaving BVB. And Kagawa too looked like he was getting back to his old self (Manu did a right number on him).
Original post by SarcasticMel
Kagawa Sahin and Gündogan is one of the finest central midfield any team can put up.

Imo anyway Gündogan was on his way to the best central midfielder before his back issue. I saw him play once in 2012, he was sublime.

Just hoping all three can find their top form soon. Sahin played better than at any time since leaving BVB. And Kagawa too looked like he was getting back to his old self (Manu did a right number on him).

Agree, that's a very dangerous central midfield. All three of them know how to dictate a game. Gundogan especially.

Think they're going through to the quarters tbh. Their record at home in knockout stages of CL is very, very good. Won every game under klopp there.
Original post by jam277
I forgot about Thiago, he's had his injury problems though. Maybe a full Bayern team without injuries isn't problematic if the likes of Thiago e.g. reach their potential.

Rode is solid but do you see them taking on the mantle of Schweinsteigger, or do you see Bernat as a better solution to LB than Alaba if he takes a long term midfield/CB position in the future?

Rode I believe has the potential to and if he reaches that potential that definitely. When I watch him there are so many similarities between him and Schweni.
Bernat is solid option at LB IF Alaba isn't playing there which in all honesty I don't see why he isn't. The amount of talent packed in their midfield without Alaba is already one of the best in the world. At CB they have Boateng, Javi Martinez, Benatia, Dante and Badstuber.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Poor Reus.
Original post by Mackay
Poor Reus.

It's not a serious injury, just some bruising. No idea why they felt the need to start Reus for a game like Dynamo Dresden.
BVB finally putting in some decent performances and catching up, still a while to go to the end of the season, but a champions league spot isn't out of the question yet (maybe this is being overly optimistic, but who knows eh?:rolleyes:) !! Even though we know Bayern won't slip up, Wolfsburg are only 8 points behind them and plus their win over Werder was pretty impressive having come back from trailing 3 times in the match. Wolfsburg have been awesome this year and they're still in the Europa league too! If they win that, maybe attract some more talent, they could possibly win the German league soon?
Original post by jam277
It's not a serious injury, just some bruising. No idea why they felt the need to start Reus for a game like Dynamo Dresden.

They've had such a farcical season, a loss wouldn't even have hurt really.
Original post by Loafing.Charizard
BVB finally putting in some decent performances and catching up, still a while to go to the end of the season, but a champions league spot isn't out of the question yet (maybe this is being overly optimistic, but who knows eh?:rolleyes:) !! Even though we know Bayern won't slip up, Wolfsburg are only 8 points behind them and plus their win over Werder was pretty impressive having come back from trailing 3 times in the match. Wolfsburg have been awesome this year and they're still in the Europa league too! If they win that, maybe attract some more talent, they could possibly win the German league soon?

I'm thinking it's a possibility, I was saying before that they rely on quite a lot of older people at Bayern, the transition period from Robben, Schweinsteigger and Ribery to their replacements(Gotze/Rode/Thiago/Bernat/Muller?) and whoever they buy as a natural winger since nobody provides a mixture of width and playmaking as well as Robbery.

I'd still back Dortmund to win a league title before them though as they have experience in Hummels/Subotic/Gundogan/Kuba in sustaining a challenge and the other additions such as Reus/Aubameyang have slotted in very well, Wolfsburg have some very good players though and money to boot, lets see how they do. Can certainly see another challenge for the title next season though.

Original post by Mackay

Yes a loss would have hurt. The worst thing for Dortmund to do is lose a game like this, when they've been playing very well so far this season. They have the depth to play in all three competitions and keep a challenge for top 4, there's no need for a sacrifice, plus with the chance to win silverware this season I don't see why Dortmund won't do it.
Reply 1395
Original post by Mackay

That's nonsense. Going out of the Pokal, the best chance to get a trophy this season, against a third division side, wouldn't have hurt, especially after the bad league campaign? :confused:

Original post by jam277

It was a DFB Pokal game against a team who've already knocked out Schalke and Bochum; also, BVB already had to make 3 other rotations (not counting the gk) with their most dangerous attacking player being out and could hardly afford to lose the game.

Reus wasn't really in need of a rest either, and didn't get injured because of fatigue. It was a dirty challenge from Erdmann that could hardly have been predicted.
Original post by jam277

Yes a loss would have hurt. The worst thing for Dortmund to do is lose a game like this, when they've been playing very well so far this season. They have the depth to play in all three competitions and keep a challenge for top 4, there's no need for a sacrifice, plus with the chance to win silverware this season I don't see why Dortmund won't do it.

Original post by qua
That's nonsense. Going out of the Pokal, the best chance to get a trophy this season, against a third division side, wouldn't have hurt, especially after the bad league campaign? :confused:

FFS I was being hyperbolic. Jesus Christ.
Yeah that makes sense qua.

I can see Wolfsburg slipping up against Augsburg. a 22 point swing in 11 games from Dortmund is unlikely, but they'll probably want a draw just in case so they can creep up the table some more.
Alaba's free-kick. My word.
Very poor defending from Dante.

Lol at Alonso's freekick, slipped yet pinpoint left corner. Wall was poor though.

Tis a shame as Hannover were quite good. Defended well, didn't give Bayern too many chances but I have a feeling that they're going to tire.

Also Robbens having an on and off game. Some of his runs have been amazing but his shooting's been a bit off. Going Cristiano Ronaldo mode.

Quick Reply

Latest