The Student Room Group

The German Football Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mackay
Galatasaray and New York Red Bulls both in for Kevin Prince Boateng following his Schalke suspension. It'll be interesting to see where he and Sidney Sam end up. Dreadful season for Schalke, you've got to say.

Not much better for their Westphalia neighbours either. Any odds on Klopp to replace Di Matteo? :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any regular watchers of the German league able to give a view on Firmino?
Original post by Zerforax
Any regular watchers of the German league able to give a view on Firmino?

All you need to know:

[video="youtube;knRnrHStTqc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knRnrHStTqc[/video]
Original post by Mackay
All you need to know:

[video="youtube;knRnrHStTqc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knRnrHStTqc[/video]

Great shot. Woulda been better if he didn't look at the camera though.
Real Madrid could make Bernd Leno their target if DDG talks stall, apparently.
Is anyone else excited for Dortmund next season!! I think they may actually have a good chance at champions league spots at least with their great new signings plus tuchel. Let's hope gundogan and reus get on form and the beast has been unlocked!!😄

Posted from TSR Mobile
Didn't realise that Bayern had bought Douglas Costa for £21.25M. Will be interesting to see how he does.
Original post by jam277
Didn't realise that Bayern had bought Douglas Costa for £21.25M. Will be interesting to see how he does.

He's a good player but no doubt he'll be behind ribery and robben. He might start a few games against smaller teams or cup games but defo not every game.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Joel Matip to have crunch talks with Schalke, apparently. Newcastle in the running to sign him for around £10m.
Seems like Vidal's going to Bayern
wow, Pep has destroyed a ruthless, pressing and direct machine in 2 seasons to a team where the wing bangs are messed about vs Eintract and vs a proper CL team, Bayern are dismantled. Also miring his man management dismantling skills

Pep is a world class manager. Love his interviews when he fails, so full of bitterness and finger pointing but not an ounce of self reflection.

The other day he was seemingly trying to take praise for Germany's world cup win. Christ
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by difeo
Seems like Vidal's going to Bayern

Heck of a signing from Bayern.

Big statement. You'd assume that he'll just occupy the space left by Schweinsteiger, but exhibit the qualities which Bastian had in his prime a few years ago rather than now.
Intrigued if the Vidal signing is a Pep signing or by the hierarchy to plan for post-Pep? I think its the latter

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pep loves his midfielders doesn't he. While a good signing is it actually necessary? I mean he plays lahm and Alaba in midfield, then Ribery and Robben on the wings and Pep loves Thiago. Plus Muller and Lewandowski who are starters ( correct me if I'm wrong because I thought Pep and Lewa fell out?)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well, rumours has it that Cavani and Lewandowski are the only two strikers who interest LVG. United undoubtedly need strength in that area, now that RVP has departed for Fenerbahce and Falcao didn't really work out.
Original post by Déscartés
Pep loves his midfielders doesn't he. While a good signing is it actually necessary? I mean he plays lahm and Alaba in midfield, then Ribery and Robben on the wings and Pep loves Thiago. Plus Muller and Lewandowski who are starters ( correct me if I'm wrong because I thought Pep and Lewa fell out?)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Direct replacement for Schweinsteiger and Bayern's injury problems last season with Thiago/Javi Martinez all showing that they're injury prone, Lahm getting into grandad territory while Alonso is in grandad territory means that it's worth buying a guy like Vidal.

Also as suggested before could be a post pep signing, they did that with Gotze when Pep came in.
Original post by jam277
Direct replacement for Schweinsteiger and Bayern's injury problems last season with Thiago/Javi Martinez all showing that they're injury prone, Lahm getting into grandad territory while Alonso is in grandad territory means that it's worth buying a guy like Vidal.

Also as suggested before could be a post pep signing, they did that with Gotze when Pep came in.

Didn't even think about that. Makes sense.

I really don't understand Juventu's willingness to sell, though. Vidal is fantastic and crucial to their team, and his deployment in midfield allows Juventus to drive forward. Khedira - despite his qualities - definitely cannot match that.

You'd suggest that Vidal was maybe sold so Juventus could cash in as he gets older, but Khedira as a replacement (if that's what he is) is bizarre. Khedira being partnered with Marchisio and Pogba is solid, but nowhere near what Vidal, Pirlo and Pogba offered despite Marchisio's brilliance in the CL final.

Pogba could be gone next summer, too.
Original post by Mackay
Didn't even think about that. Makes sense.

I really don't understand Juventu's willingness to sell, though. Vidal is fantastic and crucial to their team, and his deployment in midfield allows Juventus to drive forward. Khedira - despite his qualities - definitely cannot match that.

You'd suggest that Vidal was maybe sold so Juventus could cash in as he gets older, but Khedira as a replacement (if that's what he is) is bizarre. Khedira being partnered with Marchisio and Pogba is solid, but nowhere near what Vidal, Pirlo and Pogba offered despite Marchisio's brilliance in the CL final.

Pogba could be gone next summer, too.

Pogba and Pirlo both have cult followings here but the truth is that Marchisio usually offered more than Pirlo as the deepest playmaker, when deployed there last season. I don't know enough to know if he can maintain or improve to somewhere near Pirlo's peak levels (Juve fans do think the former).

Pereyra becomes their Vidal replacement in the hole, Marchisio trumps Pirlo from last year, and Pogba naturally improves. Will Khedira be as good as Marchisio/Vidal on the right? I doubt it, but overall I think they'll be fine.

Juve's willingness to sell Vidal is probably the fee, his age, and readymade replacements. I wouldn't sell either given Tevez's departure but they've realised they need to build a new team soon, and Vidal after a mixed campaign probably is the most expendable of their midfielders. If Pogba leaves they'll have 80m to spend on whoever they want, with Dybala already secured and probably a fifth straight title in the bag, not the end of the world.
Bayern's squad looks a bit of a hot mess atm. No real possession controller in midfield which is bizarre for Pep Guardiola
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest