Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'll be starting my first year on an llb law degree in september. I've been looking for some work experience that will not only look great on my cv, but will give me a little insight into any possible legal careers.

So far, I haven't found anything, so wondered whether anyone has any ideas???

Anything would do, as long as I can say I haven't wasted my summer!!!

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    If I were you, I'd find out if theres any law or solicitor offices around your area and then send each of them a letter, saying you are interested in doing some paid or unpaid work experience.

ReputationRep:
    I did a week's work experience at a solicitor's office a few months ago. The best way to go about getting work experience is looking in your yellow pages or on the internet for every local solicitors office, barristers chamber and law court, and sent each of them a letter, along with a copy of your CV, explaining that you are soon to start a law degree and are looking to gain some experience beforehand. Tell them the dates you're available and that you'd be really grateful for any time you could spend with them. Wait a week or so and if you haven't had any replies phone up as many of the people you sent letters to as possible, asking if they got your letter and if they had considered you.

Your best chance is probably your local crown court, as these usually offer quite alot of people work experience placements. But as I said, try every law related place you can find, possible including big companies which are likely to have a legal department. If you look hard enough, you will get a placement somewhere.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    I wrote to the C.P.S and got 3 days work experience. I also wrote to the County court and got experience there.

Just write to places. Say that your interested in law and would like to see it in practice.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks,

I'll try all of the things you mentioned. I think I may pop down to my local citizens advice bureax and see if I can do a few days a wk there. But I guess I'll get writing those letters....seeya!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.