The Student Room Group

Should we boycott the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia?

This poll is closed

Should we boycott the 2014 Sochi Games?

Yes, to attend them is to validate Putin's Russia and the anti-gay laws 38%
No - I support Cameron's indifference to the issue 21%
Sports are outside politics and we should ignore what Russia is doing 38%
Don't know4%
Total votes: 135
Public gatherings of gay people are prohibited in Russia - Moscow has banned gay pride events, gay people are persecuted in many ways and the situation is becoming increasingly hard for them in the country. The Head of the Olympic International Committee, Jacques Rogge, has asked Russia for clarification of their new anti-gay laws.

Stephen Fry and others have now called for a boycott of Sochi 2014, comparing the games to Berlin in 1936 and describing the laws as neo-Nazi. David Cameron and Sebastian Coe have rejected the idea of the boycott.

Stephen Fry said to Cameron:

He added: "As the leader of a party I have for almost all of my life opposed and instinctively disliked, you showed a determined, passionate and clearly honest commitment to LGBT (lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender) rights and helped pushed gay marriage through both houses of our parliament in the teeth of vehement opposition from so many of your own side. For that I will always admire you, whatever other differences may lie between us. In the end I believe you know when a thing is wrong or right. Please act on that instinct now."

What do you think? Should we boycott the games? I am inclined to think that we should. This isn't the only issue with Russia - we could point for example to their arming of Assad's vile regime in Syria, their corrupt national life, Putin's suppression of democracy and mafia-style leadership.

The truth is, Russia is not a decent member of the international community and should not be treated as such. I'm sad about this, because Russian people have many fine qualities, but we need to take a stand and say when things are wrong. Sport does not come above human rights.

(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

It should be boycotted but that won't solve the problem or change any of the ignorant views. A lot of their products are currently being successfully boycotted in some western countries and if this initiative were to be increased, a dramatic fall in exports may be the only thing to change their mind. :confused:
Original post by und3niable_
It should be boycotted but that won't solve the problem or change any of the ignorant views. A lot of their products are currently being successfully boycotted in some western countries and if this initiative were to be increased, a dramatic fall in exports may be the only thing to change their mind. :confused:

The crucial thing is to wean Europe off energy dependence on Russia, not least because they are not a trustworthy, reliable business partner or supplier, given their notorious abuse of energy supplies for political purposes and as part of the furtherance of private monopolistic control by their oligarchs.

Germany is particularly vulnerable and becoming more so unfortunately.
Reply 3
Boycotting the Moscow Olympics didn't change anything.

We didn't boycott the Beijing Olympics and they've, arguably, got a worse record over the years.

So, boycott Sochi? No.
I get the argument and I'm by no means ambivalent towards it, but sports rises above political differences.
And also, although this is a minor point, if we started down this road we'd never stop, no country would ever host any international sporting event ever again.
(edited 10 years ago)
I don't think the argument is so much about whether boycotting will harm Moscow and change their policy, but to deprive them of the legitimacy they would earn if we didn't. A mass boycott would send a clear signal that we disapprove of their rights record, whereas to quietly participate suggests we either condone it or don't care.
Reply 5
Original post by Blue Meltwater
I don't think the argument is so much about whether boycotting will harm Moscow and change their policy, but to deprive them of the legitimacy they would earn if we didn't. A mass boycott would send a clear signal that we disapprove of their rights record, whereas to quietly participate suggests we either condone it or don't care.

By boycotting one single event?
The World Athletics Championships is in Moscow as we speak. There was no talk whatsoever of boycotting that. Apply the logic evenly or don't apply it all.
Original post by Drewski
The World Athletics Championships is in Moscow as we speak. There was no talk whatsoever of boycotting that. Apply the logic evenly or don't apply it all.
I don't follow sporting events at all so only hear about the big things which get into the news, like the Olympics. I suppose the bigger the event then the bigger the impact - but you're right, it would be a bit muddled and confused to only boycott some events.
Original post by Drewski

Clearly the Olympics are the dominant event and frequently attract commentary on the activities of the host country in a way that other, lesser events do not.

For me, the Russian's arming of Assad is a much more obvious reason why we should be boycotting them as a state in every way, but their mistreatment of various minorities, including their focus on gay people is further evidence of their inability to join the community of modern nations.

I used to strongly feel that they needed time to develop and adopt democracy, but sadly Putin has abolished it, to the extent that we should now see ourselves as dealing with a rogue state.

It clearly isn't a place to hold the Olympics.
The Olympic commitie should cancel the whole event and reschedule it for next year in a less backward country.
Reply 9
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Clearly the Olympics are the dominant event and frequently attract commentary on the activities of the host country in a way that other, lesser events do not.

For me, the Russian's arming of Assad is a much more obvious reason why we should be boycotting them as a state in every way, but their mistreatment of various minorities, including their focus on gay people is further evidence of their inability to join the community of modern nations.

I used to strongly feel that they needed time to develop and adopt democracy, but sadly Putin has abolished it, to the extent that we should now see ourselves as dealing with a rogue state.

I refer you back to post 4. If we do this now someone will turn around and say it didn't change anything in Moscow and ask why we didn't do anything Beijing. And then it brings about the question of where can we hold events.
This would most likely do nothing. 75% of Russians believe that homosexuality should be outlawed, the problem evidently isn't with the government. They have a totally different culture which is in many ways backwards when it comes to tolerance. I just don't see how boycotting a sports event is going to change the opinions of an entire people.
As the above poster states, if every country did this there would be pretty much no worldwide sporting events because of cultural differences.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Blue Meltwater

So gay rights is now an issue, but I didn't here Mr Fry complaining when the olympic were in Beijing.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by The Angry Stoic
The Olympic commitie should cancel the whole event and reschedule it for next year in a less backward country.

Turns out it's pretty difficult to find one of those.
Yes I think so.

I despise the Russian regime. It isn't only their attitude to the LGBT community, but their general stance on human rights. Not so long ago the Russians prosecuted a whistle blower who alleged that Russian officials had been involved in a massive theft from the State. It is said that he was treated pretty badly by the authorities - so badly, that he died before his own trial - which went ahead regardless.

My view is that should a state wish to join in with global events (and reap the rewards that doing so presents), then that state ought to meet some sort of standard in terms of the quality of life experienced by its own people. I was sickened that the 2008 Olympics were held in Beijing.

It is a massive shame that events such as the Olympics are not used to promote things such as human rights, equality and improved living conditions.

Incidentally, I understand that the Daily Mail have had a thing or two to say about Mr Fry's open letter. Mr Fry has issued this incredibly well crafted retort: http://stephen-fry-me.tumblr.com/post/57805910021/the-daily-mail-and-lord-dacre-appeasing-again
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
Sadly, foreigners trying to disrupt a sporting event inside Russia with a view to changing Russia's domestic politics is the kind of activity that'll just strengthen the resolve of those seeking to enforce these homophobic and repressive laws.

These laws need to be reversed, but I don't think a boycott will make the situation any better.

Then the Olympics should stay out of thoe countries. Who cares about homophobes?
Original post by The Angry Stoic
Then the Olympics should stay out of thoe countries. Who cares about homophobes?

That'd kinda ruin the idea of the Olympics being a worldwide event. Homophobia can be discouraged through other sanctions, sport doesn't have to be involved(and shouldn't be, considering how ineffective it would be). It's Russian society that has to change, anyway.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by InnerTemple
Yes I think so.

I despise the Russian regime. It isn't only their attitude to the LGBT community, but their general stance on human rights. Not so long ago the Russians prosecuted a whistle blower who alleged that Russian officials had been involved in a massive theft from the State. It is said that he was treated pretty badly by the authorities - so badly, that he died before his own trial - which went ahead regardless.

My view is that should a state wish to join in with global events (and reap the rewards that doing so presents), then that state ought to meet some sort of standard in terms of the quality of life experienced by its own people. I was sickened that the 2008 Olympics were held in Beijing.

It is a massive shame that events such as the Olympics are not used to promote things such as human rights, equality and improved living conditions.

Incidentally, I understand that the Daily Mail have had a thing or two to say about Mr Fry's open letter. Mr Fry has issued this incredibly well crafted retort: http://stephen-fry-me.tumblr.com/post/57805910021/the-daily-mail-and-lord-dacre-appeasing-again

I love the little badge from that article!

Reply 18
So why is there not an option for Yes - Putin is doing the right thing...
Original post by Fullofsurprises

It's your hypocrisy I can't get. If the west intervenes into Middle East countries without democracy you're up in arms. Then all of a sudden you're after us imposing our views on another democracy.

Russians generally don't take too kindly with outsiders telling them what to do. Not especially when there's still an aawful lot of tensions between east and west. I'd much rather the gay community in Russia deal with this themselves.

Quick Reply