The Student Room Group

Biology at Manchester Metropolitan University

After reading some reviews regarding MMU, I saw that it has quite a bad reputation. But I found no review regarding Science courses. I want to study Wildlife Biology or Molecular Biology at MMU. They say on their website that they have state of the art equipment and things like that.
Also, I see that the university is ranked 56th at Biological Sciences (the complete university guide), so not that low ...
My A-level equivalents are pretty high, so I could get into a better university, just that I have not studied Biology, which is a must for admittance at a Biology degree. At MMU I will apply for a foundation year, just to make sure I will get in.
So what do you think ? Can I actually learn something and become good in this field ? Can I actually have good career prospects after graduating at MMU ??
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
No opinion regarding this ?!
Reply 2
If you have good grades that's not biology relevant then I would say do a foundation year at Manchester University (different from manchester metropolitan) ,they have a good reputation there and I study there currently . The foundation year will teach you the relevant topics that you need to cover the undergraduate biology course.
Reply 3
Original post by henrylee
If you have good grades that's not biology relevant then I would say do a foundation year at Manchester University (different from manchester metropolitan) ,they have a good reputation there and I study there currently . The foundation year will teach you the relevant topics that you need to cover the undergraduate biology course.

Hi and thanks for your answer.
I spoke with the ones from the University of Manchester and they encouraged me to apply for a science foundation year because I have good grades.
The only problem is that they said that every EU student is normally invited to an interview, and I live at about 3000 km distance from Manchester and a trip for an interview will be quite expensive for me ... but hey, its my future so I will probably have to do this effort ...
Hi I've just got my offer for animal behaviour (a branch of biology/life sciences) and needed a C in biology at alevel to do it. I did manage to get this but applied for the foundation year as my insurance just in case I didn't get it? I think your best bet is to speak to the uni itself but I've heard good things about the foundation year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Hakunamatata5
Hi I've just got my offer for animal behaviour (a branch of biology/life sciences) and needed a C in biology at alevel to do it. I did manage to get this but applied for the foundation year as my insurance just in case I didn't get it? I think your best bet is to speak to the uni itself but I've heard good things about the foundation year

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well I have to do the foundation year anyway because I do not have biology on my A-levels equivalents.
But I think this is the best thing to do, especially because I'm from outside the UK, so this will help me integrate better I guess ...
So you got your offer from MMU or University of Manchester ??
MMU yeah at the end of the day you'll meet more people that way and make more friends yay! And it will ease you into it so Dont feel overwhelmed (:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending