The Student Room Group

Exam results good enough for law?

just wondering about my odds of LLB offers with AAABB?
don't really fancy the stress of more exams next year so was wondering if i stand a chance of getting unconditionals at either Glasgow (whose entry requirements are 5 As), Strathclyde (AAAAB) or Edinburgh (4 As)?
since the envelope came through these hopes have been kind of dashed :frown:
are they ever lenient with offers or will i have to work a lot this year? can i make up for my grades with work experience etc?

and do you think the Edinburgh requirements of 4 As count the same as 3 As and 2 Bs? very confused :s-smilie:

any help is greatly appreciated :biggrin:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by emma.gerrard
don't really fancy the stress of more exams next year so was wondering if i stand a chance of getting unconditionals at either Glasgow (whose entry requirements are 5 As), Strathclyde (AAAAB) or Edinburgh (4 As)?
are they ever lenient with offers or will i have to work a lot this year? can i make up for my grades with work experience etc?

AAABB is a fantastic set of grades, congrats Emma! :biggrin:
Afraid you don't qualify for any of them from first sitting, but you could totally get a conditional with those grades. All 3 of those unis you've listed there would consider you, so you really shouldn't feel down about your results! They're fantastic!
Work experience looks really good on an application, so I'd always recommend getting that! I'm afraid you would have to sit a few more exams next year, though, if you want to go to any of these unis. :sadnod:

and do you think the Edinburgh requirements of 4 As count the same as 3 As and 2 Bs? very confused :s-smilie:

Afraid not. :no:
However with Edinburgh, note that the typical offer is 4 As. Their min. requirements for consideration are much lower (BBBB) so you could definitely impress them with the other parts of your application to compensate!
Reply 2

My friend got an unconditional with AABB! Another guy in the year above got an unconditional with ABBBC. Both at Edinburgh.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hype en Ecosse

Afraid not. :no:
However with Edinburgh, note that the typical offer is 4 As. Their min. requirements for consideration are much lower (BBBB) so you could definitely impress them with the other parts of your application to compensate!

awwww ok thanks but what does that mean? Are the minimum requirements just what you need for a conditional offer then? :s-smilie:
Original post by BigChimp
My friend got an unconditional with AABB! Another guy in the year above got an unconditional with ABBBC. Both at Edinburgh.

Posted from TSR Mobile

oooooh that's reassuring! was that this year or was it a while ago? cause they might have put the requirements up since then, hmmm :frown:
awwww ok thanks but what does that mean? Are the minimum requirements just what you need for a conditional offer then? :s-smilie:

The minimum requirements are what you need for the university to consider your application. The "typical" offer is what your offer will usually be if they make you one. Meeting the grades doesn't automatically mean you'll get an offer!
Reply 6

I got AAABB in 5th year, and I'm just about to start at Strathclyde doing law. They gave me a conditional for 2 Bs which was in either Highers or Advanced Highers. I also got an unconditional from Dundee to do law, and my friend got a conditional for 2 As from Glasgow after getting AABBB in 5th year. You've got really good results and will definitely be able to study law somewhere!
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
The minimum requirements are what you need for the university to consider your application. The "typical" offer is what your offer will usually be if they make you one. Meeting the grades doesn't automatically mean you'll get an offer!

ahhhh ok, I see :wink:
Original post by k_irsty27
I got AAABB in 5th year, and I'm just about to start at Strathclyde doing law. They gave me a conditional for 2 Bs which was in either Highers or Advanced Highers. I also got an unconditional from Dundee to do law, and my friend got a conditional for 2 As from Glasgow after getting AABBB in 5th year. You've got really good results and will definitely be able to study law somewhere!

Original post by UMARTIAN
I got AABC and received a conditional from Strathclyde so you have a great chance!

I had a work experience, speak several languages and had some extracurriculars!

Good luck!

ahh ok these are both reassuring, thanks :tongue:
Reply 9
I got AABC in my highers and I would like to study law with a language. My As are in english and french. B and C for biology and chemistry respectively. Is there any chance of me getting a conditional for any uni in scotland?? My results could get moved up to AABB if I get an appeal but not counting on that.
hmmm well I know Dundee uni ask for AABB first sitting & I think Aberdeen is AAAB? not too sure haha, but Edinburgh Napier ask for BBBB :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Strathclyde: AAAAB - first sitting or AAABBBB 2nd sitting.
Dundee: AABB - first sitting or AABBB 2nd sitting.
Glasgow: AAAAA or AAAABB, conditional offers for those with AABBB or above.
Aberdeen: AAAB or AABBB
Stirling - AABB - first sitting, AAAB 2nd sitting.
Edinburgh BBBB - this is for those who have circumstances that affect education. Around AAAA for those who don't.
Glasgow Caledonian: AABBC - 1st sitting. AABBB - 2nd sitting.

I think that's all of them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending