Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    anyone any ideas what they think is coming up on next weeks PYB5?

hope ur pyb4s went well! xxx

ReputationRep:
    I reckon for the debates section, it'll be either holism-reductionism or idiographic-nomothetic for the twelve marker, those haven't been up for a while! J

ReputationRep:
    what was the Jans 12 marker?

ReputationRep:
    ARGH!!!!! appraoches is annoying me!!! Psychodynamic, Humanistic, Biological, Eclectic, Cognitive all in the exam and only one will come up!!!

ReputationRep:
    whats eclectic??? bit worried.

ReputationRep:
    but we get a choice of 2 don't wexx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jen2327)
    whats eclectic??? bit worried.
    Hiya, eclectic is basically a mix of all the approaches. The definition is something like selecting features of different approaches and combining them together to make a new theory. So you have stuff like SLT (social learning theory), which combines behaviourism and cognitive perspectives. But it can be combining different methodological approaches - for example, Piaget used interviews, experiments and case studies, and the biological approach used nomothetic and idiographic research, so this is an eclectic approach to methods.

In the exam, if it comes up, it will probably be as a twelve marker and the question will be something like:

'Human behaviour is so complex that no one perspective can explain it all'. Discuss this statement. In your answer, refer to at least one topic area in Psychology.

And say you chose crime as the topic area, you might do it like this:

- Human beh. too complex for one perspective
    - One topic demonstrating this is crime:

- Biological - criminals 'born, not made' - eg. twin studies. BUT behaviourists - twins hav same environ, if purely bio Lange should have found 100% concordance etc. etc., so major weakness of biological exp. is it ignores environment ------->

- one exp that accounts for environ is Behaviourist - eg. Sutherland differential association, conditioning etc. BUT major weakness is that doesn't account for crimes of passion ------->

- one exp that does is Psychodynamic - repressed Id etc. etc. but major weakness - few studies, subjective etc. etc.

- Overall - too complex for one perspective, have to combine perspectives etc. etc.

Hope that helps. That's what we got told anyway lol .

Joe

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah! That's another thing. I don't know if we should read anything into this, but...

One of my psychology teachers writes the PYB5 paper, and I went to ask some q's about psychology today, and i was like 'do you think holism-reductionism or idiographic-nomothetic will come up, they haven't been up for a while?' and then the Psychology teacher who writes the paper gave a cheeky little knowing smile and was like 'erm....I can't remember actually'. hehe.

J

ReputationRep:
    OMG UR TEACHER WRITES ONE!

hasnt he geared ur knoweldge towards certain things!
    so we thinkin its gonna be one of them!
    sweet as!
    bit worrie about this electric thing stil,.,, is like it

eg. explain with reference to john how the biological approach is more relevant that humanisitic?

thanks xx

ReputationRep:
    Lol wow. what has he covered really thouroughly? I'd harrass him. Did he actually say to you that he writes pyb5? :-S lol xxx

ReputationRep:
    another thing guys?
    WHAT WERE THE 12 MARKERS for
    perspective and debates this jan just gone?
    jen xx

ReputationRep:
    Eclectic is probably their because the examiners thought that the biological appraoch wasnt LARGE enough..............

therew way toooooooo much in the biological appraoch, thank god im diong biology!!!!

just found out that all i need is an E next week to get the C i need!!! best not get complacent.........

ReputationRep:
    i was told for the biological approach, u dont really need to no all the details, as u can just use schiz, criminology and mood disorders biology and put it in? and compared it 2 wateva?
    am i right or wellll wrong?lol

ReputationRep:
    Lol well she doesn't actually teach me - there's three psych teachers in our school and she's the one we DON'T have! grrrrr. But she knows me because I had he rlast year and my mum teaches her daughter- WAHEY!

But yeah, how we found out was that we were complaining about there not being enough literature out about spec B as spec A is a lot more popular, and asked our teacher why we did spec B, and she was like 'well, Mrs Teahen writes one of the papers', 'Oooooo, which one?', 'I'm not telling you', 'Is it debates?', 'Erm......(sheepish look) maybe ', 'It's debates isn't it?', 'Yeah' lol.

But what the writing-the-paper-teacher has to do is write a few then the board pick one as the one they're going to send out, so she can't actually be sure what's going to be on. And we've been taught everything in the same detail....hmmmmm.

Joe

ReputationRep:
    well the BA has..........................

The Nervous System
    The Structure of the Brain
    The transmission f Impulses
    The Fuction of the brain
    Brain Analysis
    Schizo & Intelligence
    Darwin

work overload!!!

ReputationRep:
    I not keen on biological, from what ino u can blag it through stuff like hereidty, but also like SAD in to do which pineal gland,so you can put in stuff like that?
    anyone know what the 12 markers were in jan? please....
    thanks xx

ReputationRep:
    With our teacher we made one of those cool origami things with the flaps, that you make when you're a kid and put all the debates/subjects on it and ive found it really helpful....i would recommend making one!
    basically the 4 key subject areas are
    - Anorexia
    - Schizophrenia
    - Attachment
    - Moral Behaviour/Agression

Key debates:
    -Nomothetic vs Idiographic
    - Reductionist vs. Holism
    - determinism vs. freewill
    - heredity vs. environment

ReputationRep:
    hope the 12 marker is on the psycholanalytic appraoch!! ive revised that WAYYYYYYYYYYY too many times now!!

ReputationRep:
    lol!
    i dont want there 2 be one i dont think! haha

ReputationRep:
    How much Biology do we need to know for the Biological Approach system, I'm finding it really difficult to revise and incredibly boring. I know we have a choice of questions but I don't want to not revise it incase a question comes up, but argh I'm panicking now!

Anyone got an idea?

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.