Turn on thread page Beta
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    i like a few of the ideas i've seen so far:
    - TSR could try and have reps from different unis that reply to threads in the uni section. like there's already a notts rep who's answering questions about the uni and things already. he/she said the uni is paying him/knows he's doing it,so i think TSR could do this with more unis. so the students know more about what to expect,the real inside facts about the unis etc etc

- i love the ebay idea of selling textbooks etc i have loads of books that i don't need and would love to sell and i know some people on here would love them as well

- the idea of selling holidays etc etc is a little far fetched,it's a nice idea and all,but people will still go to bmibaby.com, ryan air etc etc for their cheap deals etc. and it takes us away from the reason tsr was created - a student forum where students can come to get help.

- i like the idea of seeing the first unread post after you last posted,because it could be pages behind to the last post posted...if you understand me? hehe

- the pick and mix sub is also nice. i think it's a good idea

- the 'Ask A Teacher' idea is agood as well if you can find teachers. i go to holah.net and he's a teacher at a school and he set up his own website for students to use.

- a chatroom brings fear to mind. you go into chatrooms nowadays and it's pervy horny teens exchanging phone numbers or emails for 'text fun' or 'webcam fun' = cybersex..let's not do that. i don't know but maybe you could somehow mod or make the entries in the chatrooms specific and not trivial, like keep what is said in check etc etc.

- a myspace thing is not what tsr is about. if you must,you could create a thread/forum where members can post links to their spaces, like an online database (and tell them it's at their risk because of hackers etc etc).

- i like the look of tsr, don't change it! TSR US doesn't look nice though,you can change that banner :p: hehe

- could you make the banners smaller? or don't let them be all over the place? at the moment i'm a sub,but i know i can't be a sub forever and it's awful looking at those banners,they drive people away really.

- more minimods for the different threads/sub-sections of TSR would be good

- the exam timetable thing is a good idea as well.

haven't got anymore... i guess i was just agreeing with what other people were saying. if i think of anymore i'll post

ReputationRep:
    for real:

KEEP TSR FREE ... thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stick Man)
    Actually, one thing that just occurred (sp?) to me when looking at forums.somethingawful.com is that we could have post icons that give more information about the topic, instead of just those emoticons.

(i.e. some icons like these (http://forums.somethingawful.com/for...hp?forumid=21))
    Maybe all the idiots will get an auto ban if they use the wrong tags :p:

ReputationRep:
    Erm, speaking of TSR US, I presume it was bought out.

Why isn't TSR US littered with ads?

ReputationRep:
    Let's all migrate!

(Original post by dimexi)
    Pig disabled that because it was being abused

let's all neg CN

:angel:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stick Man)
    Let's all migrate!
    yea,sure........you first! :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    Hmm. I see the ad has been moved to somewhere slightly less hideous. Now if only someone would implement my suggestion of posts below the boundary of the ad being able to take the full screen width, I shall be a fairly happy chappy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CN)
    - What do you think are the most important things we could do to attract new users?
    Get rid of the stupid O2 advertising and make no plans to increase it! If we must have adverts can't they be related to what TSR/UKL was created for LEARNING AND STUDING!
    (Original post by CN)
    - What do you think are the most important things we could add to keep existing users on TSR longer / more often?
    Improving TSR's look! It looks too business and formal like. I currently use the purple layout because it is my favourite colour. http://www.funky.co.uk/ - even the top unis know its website's look and makes the difference

Improving its Speed. - I know we recently have had a speed boost and while I was at uni it was good but since I have come home (which is dial up) and the introduction of these ads, I am down to slow again.

Question - Is there any current TSR member who feels they aren't on TSR long enough? Come on, do you really think people want to be attached to their computers all day - plus think of the health risk!

(Original post by CN)
    - What have we tried in the past, and it worked, and if only we could do more / better then we would be onto a real winner?
    I have said it before and probably will say it again - d was the best admin this site has ever had. He knew extactly what this site needed/wanted partly because he created it!

He left TSR/UKL to grow on its own and only appeared to solve problems WHEN needed and not because he WANTED.

(Original post by CN)
    - What have we tried and it didn't work. and we shouldn't do again?
    Having a hacker, hacking the site - that was genius (not!)
    (Original post by CN)
    - What features of other sites do you think would make TSR rock?
    TSR should be want it was orginal created to be and nothing else. It is a site of the discussion and helping of student which regarded to learning and a place of advice.

If you want to play games, there are other sites which already offer games on tap so why should TSR take vauble space to create games when this could be used for improving the site where it is needed.
    (Original post by CN)
    - What features of other sites do you think are done really well by others, but we shouldn't try and compete with because they don't fit too well with what we do?
    Anything which doesn't involve learning. The bbc has a goodish revision site but most of the others SUCK!

Games are covered by Yahoo, MSN etc
    (Original post by CN)
    - What features of other sites do you think are done really well by others, but we shouldn't try and compete with because they are done so well by others that we would have too far to catch up?
    If we focus on the fact that UKL was created for Learning and Advice and not for Games/Money making then we will continue to mantain our rep for being one of the best Student sites around and growth will follow
    (Original post by CN)
    - Bearing in mind that we also own 130,000 coursework docs and essay sites with over 600,000 student visits per month, what clever ways do you think we could come up with of integrating these? (they are a unique asset that would be difficult for others to emulate).
    TSR ticks over pretty well on its own and the fact we have 130,000 coursework docs is nothing to be proud of. We should be focus on promoting good grades as the result of Hard work and study and should be promoting sites which help in this goal and don't offer Students the easy way out.

(Original post by CN)
    - We also own PersonalStatement.Info so any thoughts on integrating that would be welcomed.
    We already promote that site to a certain degree and they should remain separate from TSR.
    (Original post by CN)
    - If you were going to ask a designer to come up with a new image for TSR, what would your brief be? What adjectives would you use to describe TSR?
    TSR was created orginally as UK Learning - A site for the discussion and support for students in the UK. This expanded to include other counties but the UK is prominet.
    - Any particularly good forum based sites from a graphics / design perspective that you would recommend us to get our designers to look at?...

(Original post by CN)
    - How could the Wiki be improved? What content should the Wiki focus on? Should we?
    The Wiki is new and will develop in its own time by the members of TSR. It is only because of the Exams that a lot of members haven't had time to write anything!

(Original post by CN)
    - How could the Gallery be improved? Should we?

- How could vBookie be improved? Should we?

- How could the arcade be improved? Should we?
    No, No and you guessed it No.

(Original post by CN)
    - How could the personal profile be improved? Should we?
    Make the Avatar limit bigger. Since it was made smaller, I haven't been able to use my small 50x50 avatar which I made myself for use on the site only. Others have also been affected.

Because of my dylexisa this has taken me a whole hour to write and I am know in need of food. To be continued!

ReputationRep:
    Bring back instant notifications on threads you are subscribed too.

One thing that annoys me on here is the adverts, I feel the only reason they are here is to annoy the users enough so that they pay a subscription.

A complete new theme would be nice, this one is the basic, freshen things up a bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LPK)
    I'd love an SMS Subscription service. It would be so much easier if i could buy a subscription via text. I know runescape allow people to buy a subscription via text. You send a text to a number, it takes off £5 or however much you paid for the sub, then it sends you a code back, you type the code on the website, and your sub is activated. I'd love this on TSR.
    I agree that this idea would potentially be very good and would be another still easier way of allowing users to sign up for their subscriptions. Whether or not this is easily possible or financially viable however is a different matter...

(Original post by a_musical_gal)
    Having a hacker, hacking the site - that was genius (not!)
    Erm, i'll think you find it is a good idea, instead of geting on your high horse.

Companies DO get hackers(aka security experts) to test their sites, to test the security of their systems. My mate who works for a big organisation ALWAYS has experts testing the organisations IT infrastructure.

Also, it's obvious you have absolutely NO business sense whatsoever.

Improving its Speed. - I know we recently have had a speed boost and while I was at uni it was good but since I have come home (which is dial up) and the introduction of these ads, I am down to slow again.
    Well thats bloody obvious. You're on dial-up! ofcourse it's going to be slow. Maybe if you moved onto broadband, you wouldn't complain. TSR can't do anything about that.

Question - Is there any current TSR member who feels they aren't on TSR long enough? Come on, do you really think people want to be attached to their computers all day - plus think of the health risk!
    Its a business. They're not bother about the health risks from people being on tsr for too long. Don't be absurd.

I have said it before and probably will say it again - d was the best admin this site has ever had. He knew extactly what this site needed/wanted partly because he created it!

He left TSR/UKL to grow on its own and only appeared to solve problems WHEN needed and not because he WANTED.
    Oh please. Don't let me piss on your parade, but just because he was the creator of this does not in anyway mean if he knew everything this site wanted or needed. If he did, it would be more successful then it is. Being bias doesn't comei into the equation. So leave it out.

TSR should be want it was orginal created to be and nothing else. It is a site of the discussion and helping of student which regarded to learning and a place of advice.
    This doesn't mean, that nothing can be added to TSR to improve the users experience of coming to the site. E.g. chat rooms to discuss student related, AJAX implementation, flash stuff etc..
    Just because it's a forum for Students, doesn't mean everything needs to be educationally orientated.

Anything which doesn't involve learning. The bbc has a goodish revision site but most of the others SUCK!
    Oh, i'm sorry. I do believe you said this site is for student related material, thus correct me if i'm wrong, but having revision parts to this site WOULD help out the student, and thus go with TSRs whole mission statement.

We already promote that site to a certain degree and they should remain separate from TSR.
    No reason as to why this can't be added.

TSR was created orginally as UK Learning - A site for the discussion and support for students in the UK. This expanded to include other counties but the UK is prominet.
    - Any particularly good forum based sites from a graphics / design perspective that you would recommend us to get our designers to look at?...
    You failed to answer the question. So stop with the vindictive bullocks.

No, No and you guessed it No.
    Actually, i'll think you'll find a lot can be done. Especially in terms of user experience.

Make the Avatar limit bigger. Since it was made smaller, I haven't been able to use my small 50x50 avatar which I made myself for use on the site only. Others have also been affected.
    Why should it be made bigger? According to you, this is a site for discussion and support for students, not a place to host your pretty little avatards. Why waste tsr space?

That is all. Yes, i'm in a *****y mood tonight.

ReputationRep:
    I realise this isn't the most constructive thing to say but I don't have time to give my ideas at the minute but that ad down the right hand side really is ridiculous, if I had just joined TSR there is no way I would stay, it completely messes up the layout. Can't you just put it down at the bottom out of our way?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flukey)
    Erm, i'll think you find it is a good idea, instead of geting on your high horse.

Companies DO get hackers(aka security experts) to test their sites, to test the security of their systems. My mate who works for a big organisation ALWAYS has experts testing the organisations IT infrastructure.
    I was refering to DAZ, who hacked in and knock TSR down for a while.

In that case, how the hell could they have prevented that? If you know how, then please do tell us.

ReputationRep:
    you ARE living in 2004

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattG)
    you ARE living in 2004
    Well hehehe in this case I agree but CN asked for things which happened before he doesn't what to see happen again.

Personally I have bumped into Daz a few times since 2004 and he is still being a pest of the message boards.

ReputationRep:
    I have started this thread because my opinons on what I believe should happen with regards to TSR have ended up spreading to threads which are not related to this topic and as a result have created several agurements on other threads with regard to my opinions.

I hope while reading the following you have an open mind and will not ignore my words as just being attention seeking and trouble-making because whether you like it or not there are members on the site with have been here, like myself, since Jun 2003 or earlier and have since TSR grow over the years and although I can not speak for anyone else, I can say that I have come to care for TSR and what happens here. TSR has and still continues to help me through my lifelong troubles with my mum, my studies and of course my poor fashion sense and I hope that with the coming changing that I will not at any point come to the conclusion that I don't want to log into TSR.

As a result of predicting this will be a long post. I am going to put use subheadings.

What TSR is?

TSR was created in 2001 for the discussion of student life. Whether it be educational or social. The latter of these was not orginally the focus of the site because it was the members and admins opinons at the time, that it should focus of the educational side of the student experince. However, as membership grew, TSR gained this social side and it has development rapidally over the years and therefore we have the x no of subforms like Chat.

While I think this is good because let's face it all of us need it because we all get a little bored of discussing education all the time, we shouldn't forget that TSR was orginally called UK Learning because it was about LEARNING not socializing.

CN wants to take TSR to the "Next Level" and as he is the owner of this site - nobody not the mods, Pig, or you and me will be able to stop whatever development is decided upon. BUT we can help in making good suggestions for the future development of this site which will mantain and improve TSR rep as being one of the best student sites in the UK.

Educational not Social

I pose the following question to you - Where do you go when you need decent help with a question for your homework?

Yes, there are sites like the BBC and S-Cool which provide help but what if your question is to do with a subject which isn't covered on these sites. What then?

With regard to my A level English coursework - I found myself turning to www.sparknotes.com which not only has study guides but has memberboards where you can ask a problem. Now, I am not suggesting we going 100mph down that road but there are things we can learn from this site.

They sell, factsheets which can buy and they are deliever to your door. What if TSR did the same but with .pdf files which you could download to your computer. So, for example, if Student A needed to know what the FOIL method is and how to use it, there was a .pdf he could get. What if we had a selection of these "guides" for free and then others which you can buy or get a subscription on. They could be called the TSR guide to..... and with regard to labour, what if they were written by members.

Has anyone heard of Wise 1520? It is a book with an A-Z of life problems given to Year 11 pupils in Wales. What if TSR was able to do a similar thing within the TSR Wiki. That would be helpful to students, wouldn't it?

It is my strong personal belief that this is what should be considered in making TSR better. It has been suggested that Multiplayer games should be introduced. But has any thought be given to the fact that they are expensive and draining on the sever.

Also, that we shouldn't be focusing on things which give students a reason to take part in the above ventures. What if TSR could set up a way for members to be able to put their contribution of their CV? Students put the fact that they were members of the blah blah society at their school/uni. Isn't a member who helps members and contribute decent stuff to the site just as worthy as the student who was in the society?

Promotion of TSR

TSR has never had the problem with gaining new members and I feel that no money or extra advertising is needed right now to gain more. If TSR focuses on improving its service and focuses on providing help to members then I see no reason why TSR won't grow as the result of word of mouth. Plus google already does so much of the work for us.

Finances

Yes, the F word. TSR is within no doubt expensive even in its current form.

Instead of these adverts for O2 which squash the layout should TSR consider maybe gaining commission from sites such as Amazon. Amazon provides a great range of study materials - what if members had to option of adding the link to their favourites so that everytime they went to Amazon using that link, TSR would get something from whatever they brought.

What if members were able to recommend study guides and books which helped them, gamers able to review games in a section of the site which was linked to (without promotion) like the Wiki in the top bar. Then each of these reviews had the relevent Amazon link and we'd gain commission there too.

While, I will agree it will not finance TSR sololy. Think about how many members use TSR and how many study guides those members use...it has to be at least worth a shot. TSR would be getting money and User would be getting their stuff - its a Win Win situtation.

It at least as to be better than pencil cases with TSR on them.

Summary

Personally, I reckon apart from some flaws here and there TSR is fine as it is but CN and his company want to take TSR to the "Next Level" whether its members are ready or not. However, I don't know want to see TSR turn into www.funky.co.uk because I would not want to visit a site like that so I have tried in the above to outline where I believe TSR's future should lie.

I have nothing against any member of TSR and that includes admins, mods, subs, newbies, oldies, you name it and I will galdly reply to any post which questions anything in the above but I will not reply to certain members :rolleyes: who personally attacks myself because of my views - neg rep me if you wish.

As before, I am only posting this because I care about what happens to TSR. We, the members have the chance to mould TSR into something which will be envy of other sites or have them laugh at us.

:tsr:

ReputationRep:
    The sky is falling! The sky is falling! Oh wait

ReputationRep:
    :eek: ... :confused:

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.