The Future of TSR Watch

This discussion is closed.
Helzerel
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by CN)
- What do you think are the most important things we could add to keep existing users on TSR longer / more often?
As people have already said - improve the Graduate/Careers sections...many of the current members of TSR are either at school (in which case they're sorted for the next few years as they have the university sub-forums) or they're currently at uni..and will be graduating soon.

TSR is a student forum yet I know that many users plan to stay on once they've finished their education (be it from school or university) so utilising the above sub-forums to maximum efficiency/improving them/changing them to cater to people's needs would help keep existing members stay.

- What features of other sites do you think would make TSR rock?
Maybe a sub-forum for MySpace/Bebo/Facebook entries could be made?

They shouldn't be the focus of the site by any means, yet not infrequently, threads are made with links to the above - so to declutter it all and make it easier for those interested - make a subforum for them?

I vaguely remember seeing a Thread somewhere for MySpace links - perhaps in Chat?

- Bearing in mind that we also own 130,000 coursework docs and essay sites with over 600,000 student visits per month, what clever ways do you think we could come up with of integrating these? (they are a unique asset that would be difficult for others to emulate).
Promotion and advertising.

Most people stumbled across TSR through Google - and Personalstatement.info/coursework.info must receive a good few hundred thousand hits daily - by outrageously advertising TSR, they'll be drawn into it.

Perhaps advertising the academic aspects of TSr would help as well - it's why most people signed up initially.
H&R is the most popular site to browse but the subject help/university help was the prime factor to start with.

Just an idea - the new cluster serves are brilliant - but you want to increase the size of the site even more - is it possible at peak times to stop guests from viewing the site and taking up space? Make it compulsory for them to sign up and become members? Otherwise, long-term, TSR will eventually slow down and stop - like it did just before.

Another example could be that we integrate the forums into our other sites as well.
- We also own PersonalStatement.Info so any thoughts on integrating that would be welcomed.
Integrate as in - make them a part of TSR?

If so - it would no longer be a forum per se - I think it's best to keep them as separate sites and not join them all up as one.

- If you were going to ask a designer to come up with a new image for TSR, what would your brief be? What adjectives would you use to describe TSR?
"If it ain't broke...don't fix."

- What do you think about the level of moderation on the site today? How could we improve this as we grow?
The moderation now is fine.

A suggestion - D&D has vastly improved now they have the mini-mod system.
For busy sub-forums, as TSR grows, maybe appoint mini-mods there to deal with the expected increase in post reports? Chat and H&R would be the ideal ones I suppose.

- What do you think about capturing place of study and subjects from people on registration and using them to promote forums/networks/buddies etc..?
This would have to be an option - not compulsory.

I personally don't want my details (personal or academic) splashed across the web to all and sundry.
dimexi
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Pig implemented part of my vBookie idea!!! w000t!!! thanks

EDIT: I ask such simple things really
Carl
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Can I ask....what was wrong with it being just a forum?
Rainy
Badges: 2
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Carl)
I agree.

TheStudentRoom, UK-Learning

For a site supposedly geared towards academia, some of the commercial gimmicks being put forward are embarrassing. Yes, the forum should be self-sufficient, but should it be ran with the purpose of making as much profit as possible? People need to take a step back, and decide whether 'TSR Holidays' and 'Super-Sub-Service', or Academic, University and Careers should be the main focus.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'm not saying that careers should be the main focus, but it should be improved. It's an untapped resource at the minute and anyone who is at university now will be looking to future careers, or anyone graduating will be looking now. It's just a natural step up from university.
Carl
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Well I think subbing and donating count as part of the forum service, but I'm with you in asking do we need to be sold holidays or mobile phones? Is there even a niche in the market that is going to be filled by this? How will it be different from other online vendors annd what is the advantage?

Personally if I want a phone I'll go to Orange.co.uk, if I want a holiday I'll go to bmibaby.com. If I want to chat and fanny about I'll come to tsr.
Carl
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by BlackHawk)
I'm not saying that careers should be the main focus, but it should be improved. It's an untapped resource at the minute and anyone who is at university now will be looking to future careers, or anyone graduating will be looking now. It's just a natural step up from university.
Do you not think it'll get more used as TSR users grow up? I joined in sixth form, now I'm only two years off getting a career. My other gripe with careers is "who on this forum can inform me about my chosen career?". Unless it's military (you) or running an e business (the TSR admins), I don't see anyone here qualified to give me good advice.
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Carl)
Well I think subbing and donating count as part of the forum service, but I'm with you in asking do we need to be sold holidays or mobile phones? Is there even a niche in the market that is going to be filled by this? How will it be different from other online vendors annd what is the advantage?

Personally if I want a phone I'll go to Orange.co.uk, if I want a holiday I'll go to bmibaby.com. If I want to chat and fanny about I'll come to tsr.

:dito:

You can't extend easily beyond your current capabilities unless you're willing to offer better than everyone else, and that means a lot of work, more staff, more funding, more advertising, etc and not even a guarentee of success.

EDIT: You post too quick for me :p:
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Carl)
Do you not think it'll get more used as TSR users grow up? I joined in sixth form, now I'm only two years off getting a career. My other gripe with careers is "who on this forum can inform me about my chosen career?". Unless it's military (you) or running an e business (the TSR admins), I don't see anyone here qualified to give me good advice.
We need to draw those people into posting more and more into joining. For instance, a lot of people on the armed forces forum have degrees, and before joining have done careers in their chosen industry. They don't post anywhere else because they are either 1. not interested or 2. do not have the means to post somwhere relevant.
Carl
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
:dito:

You can't extend easily beyond your current capabilities unless you're willing to offer better than everyone else, and that means a lot of work, more staff, more funding, more advertising, etc and not even a guarentee of success.
Which post is that to?
Christophicus
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Maths symbols back in the maths forum would be great as well.
Carl
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
We need to draw those people into posting more and more into joining. For instance, a lot of people on the armed forces forum have degrees, and before joining have done careers in their chosen industry. They don't post anywhere else because they are either 1. not interested or 2. do not have the means to post somwhere relevant.
Do you think there are alot of people on this forum who actually are on a career path? The vast majority are surely students or young people on "McJobs".
BlackHawk
  • CV Helper
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Not alot, yet. However there are quite a few on here who never post in careers but who are experienced enough to give advice on it. It needs cleaning up too. Looking at it now I can see quite a few threads that need sorting into their career categories. I just think that it is an uptapped resource, and the more people we bring in who post more the more traffic TSR will get.
Carl
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Fair enough.
glance
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
LPKs text message for subscription idea is genius!
Fleurette
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Text messages for subs would be horrifically expensive. I've had reason to look into it myself, and just renting a premium number costs a heck of a lot of money.
Knogle
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Fleurette)
Text messages for subs would be horrifically expensive. I've had reason to look into it myself, and just renting a premium number costs a heck of a lot of money.
That wasn't what he was suggesting, although yours is pretty darn good (though expensive) too!

LPK was suggesting that we be able to buy subscriptions by sending a text message.. so the subscription fee is billed through our telco provider.
Johnny 5
Badges: 11
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Carl)
Agreed. The forum should be a community, and if we build a good enough community (good, friendly posters, and so on), people will be attracted on the strength of that alone, rather than any particular special features. Just keep things simple.

(And in my opinion, the two-tier sub thing is entirely against that, speaking as someone that has never paid for one anyway. If there's one thing we DON'T want to encourage, it's small groups of posters isolating themselves from the rest of the site - like me recently, for example. It detracts from the community, and therefore from the site as a whole. If anything, I'd even suggest making subscriptions cheaper, and the subforums fewer, to bring back that "community spirit" of the days of old.)
Fleurette
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Knogle)
That wasn't what he was suggesting, although yours is pretty darn good (though expensive) too!

LPK was suggesting that we be able to buy subscriptions by sending a text message.. so the subscription fee is billed through our telco provider.
That's precisely what I meant. There are some companies who will do it for relatively little money, but all lack on some fairly basic stuff. I looked into this as recently as a year ago (on behalf of someone who admins a WAP site), I do feel that I know what I'm talking about
Cortez
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Cheaper sub packages with just the rep stuff would probably be a good idea. Its the only 'benefit' of subbing at the moment as the backroom etc dont appeal to me.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (758)
80.3%
Leave (186)
19.7%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed