Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cortez)
    Cheaper sub packages with just the rep stuff would probably be a good idea. Its the only 'benefit' of subbing at the moment as the backroom etc dont appeal to me.
    Excellent idea. Cheaper sub package with just the bare essentials like a larger PM inbox size and the ability to see rep information. Custom title would be nice, too.

pic and mix sub privileges!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pig)
    No I didn't. C once told Moncal something vague about CN in AAM, which was immediately misinterpreted and that's where the misinformation started.
    (Original post by C)
    Very perceptive!

It's effectively just an account for use with moderator stuff. It will not be used anywhere outside there.

Thanks - C
    I think he escaped...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moncal)
    I think he escaped...
    Heh well if you think about it, as specific as it may sound, it is vague to a certain extent.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, i just suggested the SMS package thing, i aint going to examine the prices and everything, so it is pointless telling me it is really expensive because that aint my job to worry about. :\ anyway, why not just try it for a month to see if people would use it? :s: Maybe lots of people would use it and it wouldn't be a waste? :eek:

...and i knew i never imagined that CN thing!

ReputationRep:
    CN, Welcome to your forum. (That sounds a little weird) It's nice to know that TSR is finally owned by someone who cares about it other than how nicely it advertises the other sites...Or do you?

1. Make a SMS portal. Set up a single site that is dedicated to TSR, Coursework.info, and personalstatements.info. Have news, fun facts, jokes, an arcade, ect. ect. Make it a fun site that students will like but will also make them want to check out your other sites.
    Suggested domain: banaboo.co.uk

2. You've got the students, now get the teachers. Find ways to encourage active teachers join and become involved in the academic sections. You might even find that some have a nice perspective on H&R as well.

3. Court the universities. By creating forums for specific universities you are basically giving them free advertising. Talk them into sponsoring their forums or get them to have a forum representative.

4. Get rid of the shoutbox in favor of a full chatroom. I know that these are much more server intensive and would possibly need its own server right off the bat, but a safe chatroom could get tons of new users. Make it a seperate paid feature (eg. 1 quid a month to stop abuse and make it less crowded).

5. Send out a monthly newsletter with forum news and recent posts. I know its a heck of a lot of emails to send out, but it will remind all the old users that TSR is still around. Some of them will come back and the others will just click the unsubscribe link.

6. Set up a mailing address so that people can pay for subscriptions by check or cash. It will take longer to process, but I'm sure that some people who would subscribe just can't be hassled to play the online payment game.

7. Utilize free advertising resources such as digitalpoint.com's coop advertising network or linkvault.com. Get the weight/vaults and if you don't like the advertising then sell the weight/vaults for an added income source. Some people value it highly.

8. Sell text links to advertisers. Selling links directly you could easily charge $50+ a month for a static html link. Sell 10 and that $500 you didn't have before.

ReputationRep:
    2. You've got the students, now get the teachers. Find ways to encourage active teachers join and become involved in the academic sections. You might even find that some have a nice perspective on H&R as well.
    I think that's quite a good idea. If we could get teachers involved, possibly in the Academic sections issuing subject specific help, it'd be quite helpful. Or we could have an 'Ask The Teacher' forum, where we're able to post questions for teachers to answer. It'd be private, like AAM, and very helpful.
    4. Get rid of the shoutbox in favor of a full chatroom. I know that these are much more server intensive and would possibly need its own server right off the bat, but a safe chatroom could get tons of new users. Make it a seperate paid feature (eg. 1 quid a month to stop abuse and make it less crowded).
    If this is done, keep the Shoutbox too for full subs

ReputationRep:
    Why do people like the shoutbox so much? I just don't get it.

ReputationRep:
    Some good ideas there Moncal!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mockel)
    I don't either.

ReputationRep:
    I really don't know, it just has this kind of ... enthralling nature.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Socrates)
    I don't either.
    Woo!

Brim, I ain't convinced. If a Chatroom thing was done, as Moncal pointed out (and has probably been suggested in the past), then I don't see the need for a shoutbox.

ReputationRep:
    Brim, I ain't convinced. If a Chatroom thing was done, as Moncal pointed out (and has probably been suggested in the past), then I don't see the need for a shoutbox.
    Well, the Shoutbox could be more 'exclusive', used only for the subscribers who pay the £3.50 fee. I'm sure if it was raised, many subs would oppose the loss of the Box. We like our little area there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brimstone)
    I really don't know, it just has this kind of ... enthralling nature.
    Mister Alfie - you like the Shoutbox because you can rep.whore in there. :p:

In order to keep it 'safe' it'd have to be constantly watched by the mods. with users having the ability to make reports - otherwise proper flaming matches will spring up and there'll be problems with racism and the like - D&D unmodded. *shudders*

- Don't know how viable the above is.
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    With the amount of mods online at one time, it could be possible I suppose. Just depends if it's worth the hassle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helzerel)
    Mister Alfie - you like the Shoutbox because you can rep.whore in there. :p:
    :eek: That is an untruth ... well maybe not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlackHawk)
    With the amount of mods online at one time, it could be possible I suppose. Just depends if it's worth the hassle.
    Well, I suppose as for D&D, there could be minimods for the Chatroom.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlackHawk)
    I'm not so sure it is - I like TSR because it offers a modicum of privacy whilst still being able to 'get to know people' and I can utilise the forums I need/want.

Instituting a Chatroom avaliable for all members - however 'high modded' it is will inevitably leave it populated by some of the more uncouth members of TSR and tbh - this is a forum, not a sleazy/racist club.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brimstone)
    :eek: That is an untruth ... well maybe not
    :rofl: you're so blatent about it! That's the funny thing! This thread is closely read by the mods and admin - and you're admitting to rep.whoring!

You're absolutely hysterical Alfie! :p:

ReputationRep:
    Moncal, I hate every idea except two and three, which might contribute to the forums. This is a forum, not a mega-arse-do-everything site. AND SPONSORED TEXT LINKS? The most annoying thing ever.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.