Turn on thread page Beta
    • CV Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Helzerel)
    I'm not so sure it is - I like TSR because it offers a modicum of privacy whilst still being able to 'get to know people' and I can utilise the forums I need/want.

Instituting a Chatroom avaliable for all members - however 'high modded' it is will inevitably leave it populated by some of the more uncouth members of TSR and tbh - this is a forum, not a sleazy/racist club.
    I agree it shouldn't be available to all members, but maybe as someone suggested, to some level of subs. (if the idea of two level subbing was agreed) I think the idea of having a chatroom for the whole of TSR won't work, as we'd need too mnay mods and there are plently of websites out there that are specifically chat rooms. TSR is a forum, and should primarily stay that way.

ReputationRep:
    Dear CN

I like it just the way it is!

Hugs and kisses,

Sally

ReputationRep:
    :ottid:
    (Original post by Segat1)
    Dear CN

I like it just the way it is!

Hugs and kisses,

Sally

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CN)
    and I do exist, and have no idea why I am a Moderator not an Admin...Pig / C can you morph me?
    And me please pig!

ReputationRep:
    pfft, you tart :rolleyes:

:hahaha:

ReputationRep:
    Great. :\ So who arranged this? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Will the subs see it?

ReputationRep:
    o0o you *****ing banners :\ that is so crap :\

ReputationRep:
    :rofl: Fantastic!

ReputationRep:
    Are times really so hard? I get paid next week - how much do you need?

ReputationRep:
    ergh Southern Comfort ones are awful - do we really need to be encouraging people to drink? Esp horrid stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Segat1)
    ergh Southern Comfort ones are awful - do we really need to be encouraging people to drink? Esp horrid stuff.
    It's for the Big Chill festival, not Southern Comfort, although I do doubt the wisdom of advertising alcohol endorsed products on a website that is supposedly -18 friendly.

ReputationRep:
    Quite frankly, I'm not a huge fan of all these ads popping up all over the place, but the site has to earn it's keep, and CN has to make a living so I suppose we'll have to make do or subscribe (which will actually reduce revenue in theory as the banners are no doubt on a CPM basis as well as a pay-per-click).

Anyway - in answer to CN
    1) The pick and mix sub features would be a good idea.
    2) The moderation seems fine as it is, I rarely have to wait long for a post report to be handled, and the decision is always fair.
    3) Locking threads due to high server and database usage after the introduction of a new cluster seems to suggest that any new additions (myspace style user profiles and so on) will cause further disruption to the site.
    4) I prefer TSR how it is. I come online to TSR for the community, not to buy or sell, or view people's profiles.
    5) I know the coursework site and so on don't promote plaigirism but it makes it alot easier, I don't think that TSR should integrate these essays into the site. It sends out the message that TSR won't allow people to have the opportunity to cheat, unless you pay for it.
    6) Branded goods would be ok I suppose, and would help bring in the money to fund new things.
    7) Capture place of study? That sounds rather invasive to me. TSR is spread, often by google and word of mouth. There is no other means of spreading it aside from skywriting, or the infamous leaked paper scandal.

anyway, just my opinions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pig)
    No, as usual, but if you're not a sub you won't be able to miss it
    PLEASE say this monstrosity will ONLy be on the front page - and not on every single page....

PS/ Liking my name at the top of the screenshot - that should be a permanent fixture. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Well, but most of us aren't too fussed about exactly how much money we bring in. Bad Threads REALLY isn't that exciting, and the whole point of it is that it ISN'T seen. None of us go and look through it just for a laugh - most of the time it's just there for reference if we need to follow a specific member/answer an AAM challenge to a decision. Some things can't be bought - next thing someone will be suggesting you should be able to buy modship. :p:
    Oh I'm not fussed about Bad Threads...I was kind of playing Devil's Advocate, that's all

But how about this for an idea: wouldn't it be great if you could buy a modship?
    :p: sorry, had to be said

ReputationRep:
    Hmmmm...

I think the whole of the Academic Help is something that could be restructured... at the moment we have loads of people posting asking for help, and loads of people providing it, but threads with valuable solutions in slip down and get lost (I'm thinking particularly of the Maths section here). So a few people have put a lot of work into listing previous solutions on the wiki, organised by module, exercise then question number. But it's only for Heinemman textbooks on the Edexcel syllabus that this has been done.

What if this could be rearranged? What if there was a system where as soon as someone asked for help for a question it'd get listed in a database of questions straight away? That way we would have maximum accessibility even for questions posted a long time ago which people still have trouble with now and without the tedious wiki-updating (and re-updating, such as when the links were broken a while ago). And it should be integrated with the forum so we don't have to go all the way to the wiki or whatever to find out which questions people are having trouble with.

This could even be incorporated into a big student-made revision guide.

As for the wiki... yeah it's nice but it's a pain in the arse to navigate the way it currently is. People are trying to divide it up into a tree-like structure and it simply won't work with so many things that cross between categories.

ReputationRep:
    maybe something like providing advertising materials (fliers etc), to people at unis, so they can hand them out, put them about and stuff around the campus, get more people onto the site etc. Maybe even have official representatives of each uni, sort of like a spokesperson around the uni, and the person to come to first when asking questions about a particular uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LPK)
    - LPK Suggestion:
    I'd love an SMS Subscription service. It would be so much easier if i could buy a subscription via text. I know runescape allow people to buy a subscription via text. You send a text to a number, it takes off £5 or however much you paid for the sub, then it sends you a code back, you type the code on the website, and your sub is activated. I'd love this on TSR.
    I would support that Idea as many more poeple would sub. Many families do not allow to use credit cards online due to frauds. The text service would attract more people to sub and this would help TSR.

ReputationRep:
    Please forgive me if some of these have been mentioned before, I haven't read the entire thread.

IDEAS TO RAISE MONEY:

: Forum sponsorship. For example Tech could have an affiliate link to eBuyer in its description (where it currently says "Computing, programming, games and electronic stuff"). Portable music could do the same with iTunes (I know Tradedoubler offer this), and Gaming to Play.com, Kelkoo et al. No Dell ads though, I think most of the techy people would leave. :rolleyes:

: Relevant one-line ads between the first and second post in a thread. You could use Google Link Units, but it might be better to try to make them relevant yourself: this could be done in a similar way to the forum sponsorship above. (EDIT: I don't know if there's a UK equivalent of AdBrite, but that could do it. Have different people advertise in different forums so each gets a good CPC.)

: Sub Light and Sub Full. Sub light would remove ads and enable the reppish benefits; full sub would enable backroom access. Maybe add a 45p/month add-on option for super-invisible mode.

: I don't know myself, but making that 468x60 ad at the top into a 728x90 ad seems to work for many other ad-sipported sites.

IDEAS TO IMPROVE THE SITE

: Search Queue. Not as important now we have new servers, but it would be good if instead of having no search at all, we had a system that let the server carry out only a few searches at a time and people waited in a queue to have their searches submitted. (Subscribers could have a "Q-Jump" button".)

: As has been said, let myspace be myspace and let TSR be TSR.

: You could add the UserCP RSS to the TSR Toolbar. Though I already have it in my Firefox bookmarks.

I'll come up with more later.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I don't like the idea of TSR being so associated with websites like coursework.info. I understand you own both sites and so are trying to make the best of it, and that we need advertising in order to be economically viable, but to me it encourages cheating, and is quite irresponsible.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.