Ess R Kay
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I have currently decided to apply to the following universities for economics, providing I achieve the required predicted grades:

LSE
UCL
Warwick
Birmingham

My first choice is LSE for which i am considering economics BSc or economics and economic history BSc. The other three uni choices I have made are for economics BSc only. However, considering you are entitled to apply to five universities, I am thinking of which other one to apply to as I want to keep all options open, so far I have looked into Queen mary as a considerable option but still not sure. I would appreciate it if you could provide me with some insight regarding the best uni for economics other than the choices listed (preferably in London, although other options are welcome). Thanks
skotch
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I may be a bit biased, but I've heard Bristol is very good for Economics (just below LSE/Warwick). It's got the most applicants to places ratio for any course at the university, so it must be a pretty decent course!
Ess R Kay
Rep:
?
(Original post by skotch)
I may be a bit biased, but I've heard Bristol is very good for Economics (just below LSE/Warwick). It's got the most applicants to places ratio for any course at the university, so it must be a pretty decent course!
Bristol? yeh I've seen it being at a good position in the uni league table (top 10 I think) although I'm not sure about the significance of uni league tables when deciding about unis lol. But thanks, I'll have a look at it.
paradoxicalme
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Uni league tables have very little significance.

You've got four incredible economics unis there. Birmingham's the lowest in terms of offer and it's still AAA. Maybe you should try a safety uni at AAB or ABB?
WeeGuy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
St andrews is good.
uttamo
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Bristol, Bath, Nottingham, Oxbridge are all very-well respected economics unis
Ess R Kay
Rep:
?
(Original post by paradoxicalme)
Uni league tables have very little significance.

You've got four incredible economics unis there. Birmingham's the lowest in terms of offer and it's still AAA. Maybe you should try a safety uni at AAB or ABB?
Hmm.. yeh, thats what I've been thinking, hence my possible last choice being Queen mary whose entry requirements are AAB, although im still not sure ..
Ben Kenobi
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Since you are considering applying to London School of Economics, have you considered Cambridge or are you looking for a back-up choice university?
Anyway, other good universities for economics that are worth a look are:
Manchester, Nottingham, Edinburgh, Bristol and Durham.
paradoxicalme
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Ess R Kay)
Hmm.. yeh, thats what I've been thinking, hence my possible last choice being Queen mary whose entry requirements are AAB, although im still not sure ..
Sounds like a good idea if you're certain you'll at least make AAA, then there are plenty of great unis for eco, not least oxbridge or bristol
Ess R Kay
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ben Kenobi)
Since you are considering applying to London School of Economics, have you considered Cambridge or are you looking for a back-up choice university?
Anyway, other good universities for universities that are worth a look are:
Manchester, Nottingham, Edinburgh, Bristol and Durham.
Well according to some research I found that the uni's I've mentioned above are supposed to be quite good for economics, which is why I've chosen them. I am still considering all options but carefully thinking of a back up choice as well now as all these unis have high entry requirements and its best to stay safe lol
Ess R Kay
Rep:
?
(Original post by paradoxicalme)
Sounds like a good idea if you're certain you'll at least make AAA, then there are plenty of great unis for eco, not least oxbridge or bristol
Yeh, I hope to get good grades but nothing can be said as of now. You wouldn't know anything about Queen mary for econ would you ?
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I've heard Nottingham, Oxbridge (particularly Cambridge), Warwick, Durham is good apparently

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ben Kenobi
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well according to some research I found that the uni's I've mentioned above are supposed to be quite good for economics, which is why I've chosen them. I am still considering all options but carefully thinking of a back up choice as well now as all these unis have high entry requirements and its best to stay safe lol
Manchester asks for AAB for Economics, if that's any help.
snwh
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
If you're considering LSE, an application to Oxbridge might be worth it since it's (in some measures) 'harder' to get into straight economics at LSE than an econ course at Oxbridge. So if you think that you're good enough for LSE, then you may as well try your luck w/ Oxbridge. Tailor your PS to LSE though (esp. if you apply for economics and economic history at LSE but just straight econ everywhere else) - people who just scrape the required predicted grades but write a PS more focused on the LSE course get in over people who have better academics but a PS not 100% focused on LSEs course. Sounds like a no-brainer, but I learnt the hard way!
The Polymath
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
From the TAELT rankings over the last few years:
- Oxford/Cambridge/LSE
- UCL/Warwick
- Bristol/Nottingham/Bath/Durham etc.

Unlike newspaper rankings, which vary wildly each year, this ranking focuses solely on criteria such as entry requirements/tariffs/competition and graduate salaries, rather than things like student satisfaction, research performance and employment percentages, which are often very meaningless statistics.

Ess R Kay, Oxbridge is worth applying to in my opinion, since if you're looking at LSE then you should be in for a shot there too. At Oxford you'd have to do a combined economics course such as PPE, H&E or E&M.
Ess R Kay
Rep:
?
(Original post by snwh)
If you're considering LSE, an application to Oxbridge might be worth it since it's (in some measures) 'harder' to get into straight economics at LSE than an econ course at Oxbridge. So if you think that you're good enough for LSE, then you may as well try your luck w/ Oxbridge. Tailor your PS to LSE though (esp. if you apply for economics and economic history at LSE but just straight econ everywhere else) - people who just scrape the required predicted grades but write a PS more focused on the LSE course get in over people who have better academics but a PS not 100% focused on LSEs course. Sounds like a no-brainer, but I learnt the hard way!
Hmm.. so is that from personal experience then? I mean did that help you or someone else get into LSE and act as a significant advantage over other applicants & if so, then what kind of details would you recommend including in the PS for econ and econ history at LSE.

Also, thanks for all the advice everyone. Just wondering, what kind of employment prospects economics and economic history at LSE would lead me to? I mean are they similiar to pure economics BSc or...
snwh
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hmm.. so is that from personal experience then? I mean did that help you or someone else get into LSE and act as a significant advantage over other applicants & if so, then what kind of details would you recommend including in the PS for econ and econ history at LSE.

Also, thanks for all the advice everyone. Just wondering, what kind of employment prospects economics and economic history at LSE would lead me to? I mean are they similiar to pure economics BSc or...
Anything with Economics in the course title from LSE would probably get you a job in the City if that's what you really wanted. The vast majority of front office grad positions at the bulge brackets are filled with guys (and girls) from Oxbridge, LSE, UCL and ICL - they're the target schools.

Yeah pretty much from personal experience. Nailed my AS-levels - got an average of like 94% across all 6 as-subjects - so sort of took my eye off the ball when it came to the personal statement. I applied for Gov & Econ at LSE but PPE and Phil & Econ elsewhere so my PS inevitably had some Philosophy in it. In hindsight I should have applied to the same course everywhere. And yeah, the reason LSE gave for rejecting me was that my PS wasn't as good as the other candidates' - even though some people were given offers with extremely mediocre academics. The same will probably apply to other joint honours subjects such as Econ and Econ History. My advice would be: when it comes to writing the PS, write it as if LSE was the only uni you're applying for so you tailor it to their course. I think they're the Uni which place the most emphasis on the PS.

Can't give you any ideas about what to include in an Econ & Econ Hist. PS because I didn't take History as an A-Level or AS-Level option!
leonardlim10
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hey! UCL is apparently good for econs too, you might want to consider that too. However I think you should put lse as your back up university for econs and econs history course because their requirements are only AAB with A in mathematics. So its a really good back up considering you get to enter lse with AAB and at least if you dont meet your firm you're going to lse! Good back up right?

I recently just confirmed my place in econs and econs history in lse!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ess R Kay
Rep:
?
(Original post by leonardlim10)
Hey! UCL is apparently good for econs too, you might want to consider that too. However I think you should put lse as your back up university for econs and econs history course because their requirements are only AAB with A in mathematics. So its a really good back up considering you get to enter lse with AAB and at least if you dont meet your firm you're going to lse! Good back up right?

I recently just confirmed my place in econs and econs history in lse!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hmm.. even though LSE was initially my first choice, what you've mentioned seems like a good plan too! and congrats on the place at LSE btw do you mind me asking what your grades were to get in ?
leonardlim10
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hmm.. even though LSE was initially my first choice, what you've mentioned seems like a good plan too! and congrats on the place at LSE btw do you mind me asking what your grades were to get in ?
I didnt do too well. Missed out on my A by 1 percentile. I got AABa . Juet enough. Its honestly a very good plan. I put warwick as my first atA*AAa missed it and yet got into lse..hahahahaha.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (455)
56.59%
I don't have everything I need (349)
43.41%

Watched Threads