Turn on thread page Beta

£23.50 per hour, which is way too much if you consider how **** they've been. Luckily the instructor I have seems keen to get me out the way - he encourages me to go out with parents etc to cut down on lessons.

The people I know who got taught at small independent schools seem to get lessons cheaper and at they're at least as good quality so altogether I wouldn't recommend BSM .

ReputationRep:
    yh- lots of people say to avoid BSM. i was recommened to one of thier drivers by a friend- and he's good so im happy.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by Dee27)
    I had 6 free lessons with BSM just under 2 years ago from Tesco. Would have been £22.75/£20.75 with student discount of £2. I believe it does depend on the individual instructor, but I wasn't personally very happy with BSM. The instructor was late to every lesson, always finished the lesson early, and over the 6 hours we didn't cover anything except starting and stopping the car in 1st & then 2nd gear, and driving up & down a longish road with him turning the car around at each end. After the 6 lessons I got put off and stopped driving for a year or so.
    You'd only done that after 6 hours of driving? Today I had my second lesson (3rd and 4th hours) and half an hour in to it I was driving along some major roads with loads of traffic lights, using roundabouts and stuff. I even was guided through parking into a small space between two cars when I drove home today. Maybe it's not that advanced stuff, but I certainly seem to have been pushed further with my local instructor than you were with BSM.

ReputationRep:
    I was taught driving by BSM in 2004/5. They charged me £18.50, and lowered it to £16.00 during the last couple of months. But £20 :eek: has it gone up more or are they ripping you off?

ReputationRep:
    The cost is shouldn't be the most important factor when choosing an instructor, it should be how good they are. If someone is dirt cheap there is often a reason why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simply_me)
    Had my first lesson on Saturday with BSM (It was free - couresy of the G-MEX centre) but they charge £20.75 a lesson...is this too much or about right?
    How much do you pay for your lessons?

(He's also told me the average is about 35-40 hours...This seems like way too many hours..but then again I have no idea!)
    Is that all? It was £17 a go when I learned.

ReputationRep:
    I paid £20 a lesson with an 'indie' instructor, got £10 off for block booking. I had covered pretty much everything by the 6th or 7th lesson. Had 23 lessons I think, passed first time.

ReputationRep:
    yeh 20 somethign pounds is quite a bit to pay i pay £18 at the moment for ma lessons wiv a local drivin school and they r gr8

ReputationRep:
    about £19 an hour for my lessons that I just finished.
    And £17.50 an hour for the lessons I had 2 years ago.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quadruple_twist)
    £19 per lesson. I'd avoid BSM personally - they told one of my friends on the first lesson that it's recommended to have 3 or 4 DOUBLE lessons before doing private practice with your parents! My instructor said so go out on quiet streets after the first single lesson! It paid off because I only needed 12 lessons before my test, which I passed. Seems like BSM are milking it.
    Really?My instructor hasn't mentioned private practice but I certainly wasn't ready after my first lesson.I've just been out in my own car in private practice for the first time today(been learning since March)...was glad I waited until I was a bit more confident and stuff...it meant I didn't make any mistakes or nearly crash the car or anything...remember...it has no dual controls so you want to be sure you don't need them!

Anyway back to the topic...I pay £18.95 an hour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simply_me)
    Had my first lesson on Saturday with BSM (It was free - couresy of the G-MEX centre) but they charge £20.75 a lesson...is this too much or about right?
    How much do you pay for your lessons?

(He's also told me the average is about 35-40 hours...This seems like way too many hours..but then again I have no idea!)
    How much driving did you do in your free lesson? I have a card thingy for one, but not sure if it's worth it.

ReputationRep:
    £18/lesson (£170 for 10), and the instuctor's really good. I'm also learning in a new Astra, so it's really comfortable (and easy) to drive. He managed to get one of a my mates passed in 8 lessons, but another ones had 40! I'm looking at about 20-ish lessons before my test.

£17/£18 seems to be the average in my area, though I have a friend who's with an instructor who charges £15/hour, but I've got a feeling he tends to rush people through the course.

ReputationRep:
    i reckon it sbetter to be rushed, then to be taking forever and be eating up your money.

ReputationRep:
    my BSM instructor couldnt be arsed to turn up the lesson before my test couldnt get in contact with him. Then rang him after my test and he said oh i forgot. Acehole.

ReputationRep:
    I used to pay £14- but this is going back 5/6 years now.
    My boyfriend is currently learning with BSM and he pays £21. Ive heard bad things about BSM but his instructor is actually really good.

ReputationRep:
    £16 for an hour.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on your area, but I paid 20 quid per hour.

ReputationRep:
    My lessons were £20 with private instructor.

I've heard bad things about BSM: expensive and unreliable.

ReputationRep:
    I paid £24 - but that's in the South East. I was with the AA but it really varies according to the area you live in. My driving instructor was great though - he was recommended by a couple of friends and because I often got stressed and anxious he knew just how to reassure me and encourage me to do things (like only letting me drive home if I promised to go fast down the main road). I passed first time and would really recommend him. So much depends on the individual though.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.