The Student Room Group

Maintaining a B at A2 Level for Uni

At the moment I have AS level grades of AAB (+ B), but the only grade I need to keep for my Uni course is the B in A2 English.

This year, one test paper went great but the second, the more I think about it, went really bad through a combination of a teacher who didn't teach and not enough time to revise.

But the thing that's really confusing me is working out the overall percentages for the subject and whether or not I could still scrape the B.

For AS:

AS 1: Coursework 40% of AS Level

AS 2: Exam 60% of AS Level and 30% of A Level

For A2:

A2 1: Exam 50% of A2 Level and 25% of A Level

A2 2: Exam 50% of A2 Level and 25% of A Level

So, if I have two B's in both AS modules and I manage another B in one of the A2 exams but I do badly in the other, do you think it's still likely I could maintain a B overall?

Thanks, because I'm seriously worried.
It depends on your exact marks at AS. If you put them up I'll work it out. :smile:
Reply 2
On my result sheet from last year it says:

61 B and
89 B

and overall equivalent 150 B.

I have no idea what all of this means, but thanks for helping. :tongue:
Original post by RememberMeWhen

61 B and
89 B

No problem :smile:

[Ignore this deleted part - I was wrong]

I would guess from that that you got a low B and a high B, which means a mid B average. This means you need a mid C to get the minimum for a B overall. If you get a low B in one exam then you need a C in the other, but if you get a high B you could get away with a mid D.

In short: it looks like you still have a reasonable chance, so long as you do well in one exam, and not too badly in the other. Obviously nothing is guaranteed, but you certainly have a decent chance. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Octohedral

That doesn't actually make as much sense as I thought it would. If the coursework and exam were weighted differently, they shouldn't have added together to make 150. Do you know what it was marked out of? If you know the exam board I can look up how they grade for English.

However, I would guess from that that you got a low B and a high B, which means a mid B average. This means you need a mid C to get the minimum for a B overall. If you get a low B in one exam then you need a C in the other, but if you get a high B you could get away with a mid D.

In short: it looks like you still have a reasonable chance, so long as you do well in one exam, and not too badly in the other. Obviously nothing is guaranteed, but you certainly have a decent chance. :smile:

You're right, overall I got a medium B, but I thought that was too low to maintain, even though my teachers said I would be fine. The exam board was CCEA but they really don't do much explaining.

Thanks so much for explaining it, made me feel a lot better!
I hope I've got A's in history and philosophy and B's in Geography and art. Although i think it's more likely to be BBCC :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by RememberMeWhen

61 B and
89 B

The 61 was for CW and 89 for the exam right?

IIRC max mark for CW is 80 and max mark for exam is 120. This adds to 200 UMS.

180 is 90% A*
160 is 80% A
140 is 70% B

so 150 is right in the middle of B-A so a solid B :smile:

You will need to average 65% in A2 to get a B overall. That is 130 marks.
Original post by Octohedral

That doesn't actually make as much sense as I thought it would. If the coursework and exam were weighted differently, they shouldn't have added together to make 150. Do you know what it was marked out of? If you know the exam board I can look up how they grade for English.

However, I would guess from that that you got a low B and a high B, which means a mid B average. This means you need a mid C to get the minimum for a B overall. If you get a low B in one exam then you need a C in the other, but if you get a high B you could get away with a mid D.

It does make sense - this is UMS she's given you and I'm pretty sure it's out of 200 for the AS. If it's my exam board or similar she got 61/80 UMS for the coursework and 89/120 UMS for the exam
Original post by NinjaNerdfighter
It does make sense - this is UMS she's given you and I'm pretty sure it's out of 200 for the AS. If it's my exam board or similar she got 61/80 UMS for the coursework and 89/120 UMS for the exam

Ah yes, I'm being stupid - for some reason I had it in my head they must be out of the same thing. Thank you!

In that case, average is 75% - a mid B - and mine and MSI's answers still hold. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest