The Student Room Group

Retaking year 12?

Apparently my school is not letting us retake year 12 unless there is a 'extreme medical reason why we failed our as exams'.. However I was speaking to my friend from another sixth form and her school is letting people retake!

Theres current year 12 retakes in my year as it is, so why are they suddenly not letting us? Pretty unfair.

basically, my question is are year 12's allowed to retake, thus meaning my school has no option but to allow me to retake, or is it totally their choice?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Their allowed to do it surely? Especially if you change your mind on what you want to study? I'm from South Wales and in my school I did 1 year of year 12 and 2 years in year 13 all because my career path changed. It's not up to them to decide your future surely? 😕
Reply 2
Pretty sure they have to let you. My sister is technically going into year 14, and this is the 3rd time she is retaking year 12, with a couple different subjects each time. She is at a different school to which she did her first two years though. They have to let her do the whole two years, and they get funded for it, because she is starting the course before she turns 19 years old. The school thoroughly checked the laws on funding and this, as they had never ended up with a year 15 before (plenty resat year 12 but finished when they did A2), but it is completely correct. I don't see why they wouldn't let you when they would still get funded for it.
Reply 3
Apparently retakes are no longer allowed. This was the last year of retaking exams that's what my sixth form told me. So as of the new year you'd just have to re-sit the year. :-|

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I'm retaking year 12 with completely different subjects at a different college, I think it solely depends on whether the school will let you retake or not and if they don't you always have the option to move to a different college or sixth form to restart year 12 :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Duba
Apparently retakes are no longer allowed. This was the last year of retaking exams that's what my sixth form told me. So as of the new year you'd just have to re-sit the year. :-|

Posted from TSR Mobile

That doesn't sound fair, you should be allowed to resist exams even if you have to pay for them yourself! You don't know how the exam paper is going to turn out do you?
Reply 6
Yeah. I heard about how we're not allowed to retake exams, think this is totally unfair to be honest!

already tried going to a new sixth form at the beginning of year 12 but it didn't work out

hopefully my school should be ok, may just have to persuade them

thanks guys!
Reply 7
Im guessing some schools won't let you resit year 12 because of funding or perhaps prestige or what not. E.g. My school has the same rule with yours, as in no retaking year 12 unless certain circumstances. Its a boys grammar school (Even though you actually dont need the biggest grades to get in >.>)

Theres usually the requirement of an E at the AS to continue, but grades vary on continuation of the year. E.g. My school requires 2 D's to continue to A2.

Its their choice really, some schools are more flexible than others with concerns with spacing and whether your actually up for doing it (I know one dude, that tried to resit the year due to ill health for the 1/3 of the year, but they still rejected the request as even though he was healthy for 2/3's, he rarely showed up to lessons and never did any work when he did turn up)
Reply 8
My sixth form isn't letting us resit either! They say its because the year 11's (soon to be year 12's) have to stay on in further education or an apprenticeship until they are 18, so i think they are expecting more people this year! But every sixth form is different, as mine is quite a popular one and hard to get into anyway
Original post by phippsyc
I'm retaking year 12 with completely different subjects at a different college, I think it solely depends on whether the school will let you retake or not and if they don't you always have the option to move to a different college or sixth form to restart year 12 :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, I think I might have to retake year 12 too. But I'm waiting until my results to be sure. Was it hard for you to get a place at another college??? Because I'm hoping I'll be able to get one before the new school year starts... :confused:
Okay, so I finished my o levels on june 11 and gave my A2 this june and now I'm thinking of retaking year 12 which means I'll be completing my A levels by January 2014.The thing is I'm extremely worried that it will place me at a disadvantage whe i applying to any decent university...can anyone please let me know if this might be the case?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Duba

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is in that you can no longer have exams in January. Most would have retaken their AS exams in the January of Year 13 and finished their A2's that summer but now your only chance to retake is in the summer, so you'd have to wait another year. If its only one or two exams you should be okay (and they make you pay at A-Level as you probably know). But otherwise you'd HAVE to retake the year or the amount of pressure could make your grades drop.

Also I dont think it's compulsory for your school or college to let you retake the year. Your best bet is to move elsewhere and have a completely fresh start.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by topsy kretts
Okay, so I finished my o levels on june 11 and gave my A2 this june and now I'm thinking of retaking year 12 which means I'll be completing my A levels by January 2014.The thing is I'm extremely worried that it will place me at a disadvantage whe i applying to any decent university...can anyone please let me know if this might be the case?

How are you going to finish by July 2014, as there are no re sit exams in January anymore, only in the summer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's the school's decision, my school is the same because our sixth form is so popular they don't have the space for people to retake
Reply 14
Original post by Paralove
It is in that you can no longer have exams in January. Most would have retaken their AS exams in the January of Year 13 and finished their A2's that summer but now your only chance to retake is in the summer, so you'd have to wait another year. If its only one or two exams you should be okay (and they make you pay at A-Level as you probably know). But otherwise you'd HAVE to retake the year or the amount of pressure could make your grades drop.

Also I dont think it's compulsory for your school or college to let you retake the year. Your best bet is to move elsewhere and have a completely fresh start.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh I see. It sucks man. Good luck to everybody. I hope everyone does well and gets into the Uni they hoped for so retaking wouldn't be a worry.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Was speaking to some other year 12 retailers as that's mostly my whole business class and apparently unis don't mind if you resist the year, it's basically like starting a fresh whereas if you just retake exams they do look down on it apparently, this is according to my business teacher so not 100% sure but yeah
Original post by phippsyc
How are you going to finish by July 2014, as there are no re sit exams in January anymore, only in the summer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Edexcel's site said that students who must finish by Jan 2014 will be given a final sitting on Jan 2014, so I assumed re sits are not going to be a problem, right?

http://www.edexcel.com/international/qualifications/Pages/gce-consultation.aspx
Reply 17
Edexcel's site said that students who must finish by Jan 2014 will be given a final sitting on Jan 2014, so I assumed re sits are not going to be a problem, right?

http://www.edexcel.com/international/qualifications/Pages/gce-consultation.aspx

This is only for centres/schools doing A-Levels outside of the UK... No January exams in the UK! International only.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Paralove
This is only for centres/schools doing A-Levels outside of the UK... No January exams in the UK! International only.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good thing that I live outside the UK!
Reply 19
Good thing that I live outside the UK!

You're lucky! It's only international because Ofqual who do all the exam stuff here have stopped all January exams and so can't mark any jan exams done outside of the country like they did. Pearson will mark and regulate them instead for Edexcel, don't know what's happening for the other boards though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest