BONG-
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I've a place on both of these and there is a slight chance that I'll actually meet UCLs insane requirements for Maths with Economics, or miss by one grade which hopefully should be OK.

The KPMG school leaver programme is excellent but I don't think I want to stay in accounting for long, I want to get into revenue generating front office IB role and that's my long term goal. They only want ABB so I think this place is secure, but which route should I choose?

6 years is a long time at KPMG but avoiding ~50k of debt plus a salary is way too tempting. But a course like that at UCL will definitely help get into IB...
BONG-
Rep:
?
BUMP
Nassime
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi, amazing offers there may I say. Your in my dream position! I would love to become an IB and its my long term goal as well. Then again, you cannot refuse such a mouth watering offer from KPMG. I need help PLEASE for A-level selection and what grades did you get etc. Please Asap

Posted from TSR Mobile
YouthOpps
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by BONG-)
I've a place on both of these and there is a slight chance that I'll actually meet UCLs insane requirements for Maths with Economics, or miss by one grade which hopefully should be OK.

The KPMG school leaver programme is excellent but I don't think I want to stay in accounting for long, I want to get into revenue generating front office IB role and that's my long term goal. They only want ABB so I think this place is secure, but which route should I choose?

6 years is a long time at KPMG but avoiding ~50k of debt plus a salary is way too tempting. But a course like that at UCL will definitely help get into IB...
First of all Many congrats on both those offers! If accounting is not really something you want to stay in for long then spending 6 years doing it seems a waste of time. As you say 6 years is a long time and you may get bored and want to quit before the 6 years is up (which means KPMG will ask for some of their money back). I work in the City myself and I've not met an IB who's an accountant or has gone in via this route but who knows you could one of the first or the very few! Having said this, Being a trader or a dealer is not the only IB role thee are others where accountncy is very much sought after.

Having the UCL degree will put you in a great position for the gradaute programmes at any Investment Bank but it does mean student debt.
Getting into a Front Office banking role is tough and a degree is not typically required- there are people who ahve worked at other aprts of a bank and then moved into FO trading roles. Have you considered banking school leaver schemes? Or perhaps a gap year position in a bank or accountacy firm to see if that is what you'd like to really get into?

At the end of the day it's your decision so do your research and speak to as many people as possible before before diving in. If you have any more questions I'm happy to take them.
Nassime
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
So could one possibly begin working in Retail Banking , say for Barclays for e.g and then eventually move about to trading positions within Barclays...as they work for the company already, surely they will most likely be hired?
If not how do you start in another department and move into trading positions?
BONG-
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nassime)
Hi, amazing offers there may I say. Your in my dream position! I would love to become an IB and its my long term goal as well. Then again, you cannot refuse such a mouth watering offer from KPMG. I need help PLEASE for A-level selection and what grades did you get etc. Please Asap

Posted from TSR Mobile
lol, mouth watering. Pm me if you have a particular question

(Original post by YouthOpps)
First of all Many congrats on both those offers! If accounting is not really something you want to stay in for long then spending 6 years doing it seems a waste of time. As you say 6 years is a long time and you may get bored and want to quit before the 6 years is up (which means KPMG will ask for some of their money back). I work in the City myself and I've not met an IB who's an accountant or has gone in via this route but who knows you could one of the first or the very few! Having said this, Being a trader or a dealer is not the only IB role thee are others where accountncy is very much sought after.

Having the UCL degree will put you in a great position for the gradaute programmes at any Investment Bank but it does mean student debt.
Getting into a Front Office banking role is tough and a degree is not typically required- there are people who ahve worked at other aprts of a bank and then moved into FO trading roles. Have you considered banking school leaver schemes? Or perhaps a gap year position in a bank or accountacy firm to see if that is what you'd like to really get into?

At the end of the day it's your decision so do your research and speak to as many people as possible before before diving in. If you have any more questions I'm happy to take them.
cheers mate, not too sure about the paying back bit, that doesnt seem very likely. i will be paid a salary for the work i do at kpmg.

banking programmes like these are really rare but of the two i found i was not succesfull
YouthOpps
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Nassime)
So could one possibly begin working in Retail Banking , say for Barclays for e.g and then eventually move about to trading positions within Barclays...as they work for the company already, surely they will most likely be hired?
If not how do you start in another department and move into trading positions?
Barclays Retail is very different to Barclays Capital (which is their Investment Bank).

I'd suggest for you to look at the different types of roles you can get in IB.
Try this http://www.unofficialguidetobanking.com/
From what I understand you are role looking for a Front Office trading role in IB. So to get an FO role you might start in Operations in a Back Office role and then a few years later move up into a trading position.

Note: these are all within an Investment Bank.

So going back to Barclays you'd most likely want to work for Barclays Capital; as starting in retail and then moving to IB is quite rare.
YouthOpps
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by BONG-)
cheers mate, not too sure about the paying back bit, that doesnt seem very likely. i will be paid a salary for the work i do at kpmg.

banking programmes like these are really rare but of the two i found i was not succesfull
I'm very sure about the paying back bit , yes KPMG will pay a salary to you but they are also paying fees for your 6 year development in the form of university costs and ACCA exam costs.

So if you have received your contract of employment you will notice that it states that on resignation within a certain period of the start of employment you are liable to pay back to KPMG a certain percentage of the costs they have invested in you.

I work with all the big city firms and know this is the practice right across the industry.

Just to note this KPMG scheme is not a "banking programme".
If you’re after similar schemes like KPMG’s in accountancy then you’re in luck. Most of the top 20 accountancy firms recruit school leavers, including PWC, Delloitte and Ernst & Young.
Nassime
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thank you very much
kabir.raja
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
i am in a similar position to you, with a different course at UCL, what did you end up going for & do you regret your choice?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (105)
17.68%
It's just nice to be back! (163)
27.44%
Not great so far... (212)
35.69%
I want to drop out! (114)
19.19%

Watched Threads