The Student Room Group
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth

Do I have to turn up on the date/time I got given?

I've just done the online induction to halls at portsmouth. They asked me to choose a time to arrive. The earliest I could choose was on the 14th, but i know someone who is arriving on the 13th at halls. I'm guessing either:
A) They have ran out of slots on the 13th, or
B) For different halls you can arrive on different days (the person I know is in a different halls)

Ideally I want to get there as early as possible. I mean the earlier I get there, the quicker I unpack, the faster I meet people. Also I have one more extra night for drinking.
What halls are you in? I would assume there's no more slots, but I was told at one point that James Watson has so many people going into it that it's got three days for people to move in.
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth
Reply 2
The time is so that they can work out whats going to be busy for them, It suggests sticking to your time as closely as possible however it doesn't seem to be a set in stone sorta gig
Original post by EliseTheBees
What halls are you in? I would assume there's no more slots, but I was told at one point that James Watson has so many people going into it that it's got three days for people to move in.

Rees

Original post by danieljohn
The time is so that they can work out whats going to be busy for them, It suggests sticking to your time as closely as possible however it doesn't seem to be a set in stone sorta gig

Well I wanted to go in on a completely different day so not just an hour earlier or later! I can't really imagine them saying 'sorry you turned up a day too early so you can't sleep in your room for the night'!
They make you assign slots to ensure that there aren't a thousand people there to get room keys at one time, I was a couple hours late and there was no complaint at all, I think some people at my halls missed it by a day.
Original post by StringerBell9
They make you assign slots to ensure that there aren't a thousand people there to get room keys at one time, I was a couple hours late and there was no complaint at all, I think some people at my halls missed it by a day.

but what about being a day early? i know it is a bit cheeky by me but what is the worst that could happen? would they not even let me in my room?
Original post by blair turgott
but what about being a day early? i know it is a bit cheeky by me but what is the worst that could happen? would they not even let me in my room?

Ring them up and ask. Is there a reason you can't make it on the day you're booked for? Or just make one up?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by blair turgott

I don't think they'll mind, calling them up would be the polite thing to do but they'll be there from 9-5 or something along those lines feeding keys and welcome packs to queues of new students anyway :smile:
Reply 8
No wait a year and then turn up.
Reply 9
I don't think all halls offer the same times to move in.

I am in Langstone Flats and the only options I had were the 14th and 15th. I don't think they can "run out of slots" because surely they can't dictate what time you should get to the University.. People's parents have commitments etc.. so I think they're only using it as a way to determine how many people should be available to help out at certain times.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending