The Student Room Group

Entry Requirements - 2nd Sitting?

Hi,

Looking for a bit of info. Got AACC in my highers. Wanting to apply to Stirling to do Economics, they look for ABBB in 2 sittings, so I thought I should aim for BB or above next year to be at least meet the entry requirements.

However today I went and spoke to my careers advisor who said I shouldn't apply to anything in which I don't meet the entry requirement because of fierce competition.

I've e-mailed them asking about this, but they haven't responded yet so I'm just asking how it was for everybody else.

Thanks in advance.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Don't listen to him, apply to where you want to. The careers advisers big everything up and make it sound impossible to get into uni without straight As. They told us that unless we got AABB in our exams then we would be rejected from uni yet people in the year above received conditional offers. I know a guy who got BCCCF for his highers and still managed a conditional from Stirling to do something related to biology. :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by FizzicsGuy
Don't listen to her, apply to where you want to. The careers advisers big everything up and make it sound impossible to get into uni without straight As. They told us that unless we got AABB in our exams then we would be rejected from uni yet people in the year above received conditional offers. I know a guy who got BCCCF for his highers and still managed a conditional from Stirling to do something related to biology. :smile:

I think he might have slightly exaggerated (I hope) as well, saying things like there were 600 people for only 20 places for courses like accounting and business. I hope they reply quickly to let me know.
Reply 3
Original post by JackE5
I think he might have slightly exaggerated (I hope) as well, saying things like there were 600 people for only 20 places for courses like accounting and business. I hope they reply quickly to let me know.

Screw him, if there's a will there's a way. Sounds tad gay but at the end of the day its true, if you go on to get the required results, even better then there's no reason why they wouldn't consider you.

My cousin is doing Economics at Aberdeen and he was telling me about it, looks really interesting with alot of options at the other end, he was like you're applying and you're applying to aberdeen :lol:
Reply 4
My friend recieved an unconditional for Computing last year at Stirling with AACC, you'll definitely recieve a conditional I'd think :smile: just make sure your personal statement is as good as it can be!

My careers advisor was the complete opposite, she encouraged people to apply for universities that it was unlikely they'd recieve an offer from with their 5th year grades, hence quite a few people in my school were rejected from their top choices :/
Reply 5
Original post by Aay
Screw him, if there's a will there's a way. Sounds tad gay but at the end of the day its true, if you go on to get the required results, even better then there's no reason why they wouldn't consider you.

My cousin is doing Economics at Aberdeen and he was telling me about it, looks really interesting with alot of options at the other end, he was like you're applying and you're applying to aberdeen :lol:

Yeah, he's a bit of a pessimist, I guess even if i don't get in there are other universities, other courses. It's been a while, how you been? You doing the UKCAT?

Original post by IAmCookie
My friend recieved an unconditional for Computing last year at Stirling with AACC, you'll definitely recieve a conditional I'd think :smile: just make sure your personal statement is as good as it can be!

My careers advisor was the complete opposite, she encouraged people to apply for universities that it was unlikely they'd recieve an offer from with their 5th year grades, hence quite a few people in my school were rejected from their top choices :/

I wish ours was like that, mine like to put a downer on things. I remember when I first wanted to do accounting, and told him, he went 'well are you organised,' 'if your not then your going to find it impossible.' :lolwut:
Reply 6
Original post by JackE5
Yeah, he's a bit of a pessimist, I guess even if i don't get in there are other universities, other courses. It's been a while, how you been? You doing the UKCAT?

I wish ours was like that, mine like to put a downer on things. I remember when I first wanted to do accounting, and told him, he went 'well are you organised,' 'if your not then your going to find it impossible.' :lolwut:

Exactly, doesnt have to be in one year you get in, even take a gap and do a few different courses in that gap year to give you the edge in the next admissions year.

Yeah a long time man, been the usual, still worried and confused about degree/etc to go for. Got a thing for Business technology with Economics at strathclyde. UKCAT? Haha am I hell, I got 4 B's and a C at first sitting medicine is way out of it. Wish I wasn't so stupid.

Need to get three A's next year for strathy business school, im doing maths, computing and business next year. It seems more me, if not medicine I have always had a business mind, apart from that theres nothing else i can do.

You set on economics?
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by JackE5

How lovely of him! At least you don't have false hope though, mine was encouraging people with 1 Higher to apply for Glasgow and Edinburgh :/
Reply 8
Original post by Aay
Exactly, doesnt have to be in one year you get in, even take a gap and do a few different courses in that gap year to give you the edge in the next admissions year.

Yeah a long time man, been the usual, still worried and confused about degree/etc to go for. Got a thing for Business technology with Economics at strathclyde. UKCAT? Haha am I hell, I got 4 B's and a C at first sitting medicine is way out of it. Wish I wasn't so stupid.

Need to get three A's next year for strathy business school, im doing maths, computing and business next year. It seems more me, if not medicine I have always had a business mind, apart from that theres nothing else i can do.

You set on economics?

I'm still not 100% on ecomics but I want to do something related, maybe International Business. I think the strathcylde business building looks really nice. You gonna keep doing Reach? I think if they don't kick me out, I'll keep doing it. Even if it helps just a tiny bit when applying.

I'm planning on taking a gap year, right after I get a car :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by JackE5
I'm still not 100% on ecomics but I want to do something related, maybe International Business. I think the strathcylde business building looks really nice. You gonna keep doing Reach? I think if they don't kick me out, I'll keep doing it. Even if it helps just a tiny bit when applying.

I'm planning on taking a gap year, right after I get a car :smile:

I really what I've heard about their business school, seems a decent option. I'm just weary that if i do a degree at SC in say business/economics, There will be no decent paid jobs at the other end.

And I'm not sure, I don't see the point with Reach if I'm honest..

I've got a car suck on it :yep: haha i kid, but yeah the freedom with a car is amazing...for about a week when you realise petrol costs too much :'(
Reply 10
Original post by Aay
I really what I've heard about their business school, seems a decent option. I'm just weary that if i do a degree at SC in say business/economics, There will be no decent paid jobs at the other end.

And I'm not sure, I don't see the point with Reach if I'm honest..

I've got a car suck on it :yep: haha i kid, but yeah the freedom with a car is amazing...for about a week when you realise petrol costs too much :'(

I've wanted a car, well since I can remember, so can't wait. I think people doing these kinds of degrees get high salaries. Average accountant is on £25k, average bank manager on £35k, and an average investment banker is on £58k.
Reply 11
Original post by JackE5
I've wanted a car, well since I can remember, so can't wait. I think people doing these kinds of degrees get high salaries. Average accountant is on £25k, average bank manager on £35k, and an average investment banker is on £58k.

My mum and dad bought me mine, its my dp dont think you can see it that well though. + My mum's an accountant and pretty financially stable, I've never asked her salary nor is it my business to, but house, 3 cars and properties in her name.. Makes accounting that little bit appealing :wink: But being serious, apparently being an accountant you get subjected to quite alot of low paid jobs for many years before you can even think about the high salaries.

Business Technology combined with Ec, from that uni stats website you're looking at 20k within six months of graduating. Not bad.
Reply 12
Original post by Aay
My mum and dad bought me mine, its my dp dont think you can see it that well though. + My mum's an accountant and pretty financially stable, I've never asked her salary nor is it my business to, but house, 3 cars and properties in her name.. Makes accounting that little bit appealing :wink: But being serious, apparently being an accountant you get subjected to quite alot of low paid jobs for many years before you can even think about the high salaries.

Business Technology combined with Ec, from that uni stats website you're looking at 20k within six months of graduating. Not bad.

Sounds good, I mean being a 22 year old on 20k is pretty good. I actually started watching Breaking Bad during the holidays and am doing Higher Chemistry next year so if all else fails....

Do you have a VW polo?
Original post by Aay

Getting a job with an accountancy company who are willing to put you through your professional exams after you graduate with an accounts degree would be pretty damn good, but that's not always going to happen nor does it happen to most people. You'll probably end up looking for any relevant jobs to do with finance/accounting/auditing/business and then taking it from there to try and work your way in. But once you've got a job in a company who will put you through your exams then you're sorted. Your salary will increase big time each time you pass your exams and so on. :yep: Not all about the money though :tongue:
Reply 14
Original post by Ecosse_14
Getting a job with an accountancy company who are willing to put you through your professional exams after you graduate with an accounts degree would be pretty damn good, but that's not always going to happen nor does it happen to most people. You'll probably end up looking for any relevant jobs to do with finance/accounting/auditing/business and then taking it from there to try and work your way in. But once you've got a job in a company who will put you through your exams then you're sorted. Your salary will increase big time each time you pass your exams and so on. :yep: Not all about the money though :tongue:

Can you do the professional exams your self or is there some requirement that involves the company?
Original post by JackE5
Can you do the professional exams your self or is there some requirement that involves the company?

Don't really know, I've only ever heard of the company putting people through the exams. It's not something I want to go into so haven't really researched it much, just know from other people's experiences, sorry!
Reply 16
Original post by JackE5

Of course he exaggerated. 1 person per 30 places are probably for courses such as medicine. Not accounting and business. Certainly not for universities such as Stirling. So don't listen to that adviser. Just resit the subjects and then you will be ready to apply.
Reply 17
Original post by JackE5
Sounds good, I mean being a 22 year old on 20k is pretty good. I actually started watching Breaking Bad during the holidays and am doing Higher Chemistry next year so if all else fails....

Do you have a VW polo?

It takes time to get places, we will see though, Strathclyde seems the uni for me..

And Yeah A VW Polo, 57 Plate.
Reply 18
Original post by Ecosse_14

Yeah my mum was talking about the prof exams, See it'll take time and effort, but at the end of it to say i got there would be satisfying.

+ I totally agree it's not all about the money, thing is with me, if I've been through so much, and there's alot of effort/work/complications to come, I want it to be worth it, a decent salary in this day and age is beneficial for me. Money plays a minor part in what I want to do, i'll admit.
Original post by Aay
Yeah my mum was talking about the prof exams, See it'll take time and effort, but at the end of it to say i got there would be satisfying.

+ I totally agree it's not all about the money, thing is with me, if I've been through so much, and there's alot of effort/work/complications to come, I want it to be worth it, a decent salary in this day and age is beneficial for me. Money plays a minor part in what I want to do, i'll admit.

Of course, and you can still have a very successful career and earn big bucks even if you don't pass all of the exams which is pretty cool. :yep: There's nothing wrong with wanting to earn big bucks, and most people who do enjoy their jobs which is the main part :yy:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending