The Student Room Group

Hi hiw do I improve in maths I'm a 6a at the end of year 9 and that's low so I need t

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Aww :h:
Do past papers of SATS or what papers you take and see what topics you go wrong. Ask your teachers for help on the topic, or look it up your self.
That's not low. It's good.

Now that you are starting gcse, buy the text book and do a few questions after every maths lesson to consolidate your understanding and you can watch youtube videos if you don't understand how to solve the questions.

You shouldn't be worried.
This is going to sound cliché but practice, practice, practice! Do you have access to the website called MyMaths? Try that, it's really useful. Try BBC bite size for KS3- useful and interactive way to learn. Go over each set of notes from class at the end of the day, it's surprising how much you learnt from repetitively reading! :smile:
Don't worry about it. My school did Sats in year 8 for some reason. For the whole of year 8 I was on a 6B then in the exam at the end of year 8 I got a 7B (without doing any more revision) and therefore had the same amount of skill as I did on a 6B. What I'm trying to say is what grade you get has no influence on what you will get at GCSE, and it's almost pot luck as to what you get. No one looks at them :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
I was 8b by the end of year 9 :moon:
Reply 6
Thanks you guys fir ur help

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by letsbehonest
That's not low. It's good.

It is somewhat behind the ideal position for a Year 9, isn't it? The norm in my schooling was to be a 6A by the middle of Year 5 ...

Unfortunately, I can't help the OP much, since I have largely forgotten what was taught before A-level! I would recommend, OP, that you try preparing for GCSEs and seeing what you can get on the Maths GCSE papers. Spend the next couple of years trying to master these, and you can get up to scratch completely :smile:
Reply 8
1) practise, practise, and practise! If you can't do a question, try and find out what you did wrong or get someone to help you and do the question without looking again :smile:

2) My maths is a website that is very helpful. Ask your teacher If your school has an account or if they can make you one :smile:

3) PAST PAPERS ARE KEY

Look at your weaknesses!! So if one lf your weakness is fractions, constantly practise questions on fractions! Do not give up! If you have the will you can do it! :smile:

Ask your teacher what topic you need more practise in!

4) if you don't understand something in class, go to your teacher at lunch to ask :smile:

Hope this helped!! Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Hi how can someone be 6a in year five if the levels only go up to level 5.
Original post by Big-Daddy
It is somewhat behind the ideal position for a Year 9, isn't it? The norm in my schooling was to be a 6A by the middle of Year 5 ...

Unfortunately, I can't help the OP much, since I have largely forgotten what was taught before A-level! I would recommend, OP, that you try preparing for GCSEs and seeing what you can get on the Maths GCSE papers. Spend the next couple of years trying to master these, and you can get up to scratch completely :smile:

What?

The highest you could get in sats at my primary school in year 6 was level 5a.

Level 7 in year 9 was considered very good at my school and then 6 was good and 5 was below average.
Original post by basit282828

He's lying or he has bad memory
Reply 12
Yh lol
What?

The highest you could get in sats at my primary school in year 6 was level 5a.

Level 7 in year 9 was considered very good at my school and then 6 was good and 5 was below average.

Right, perhaps it was level 5 and I'm remembering it wrong. Is that a different exam or something?

Or I don't give much attention to the thought of an exam I took so many years ago?
Reply 14
6a in year 9 is not low.. That's probably average. You are NOT bad at maths.
Original post by elm tree
i was 8b by the end of year 9 :moon:

big ****in' deal

Might be a joke or sarcasm.
---

Why would you assume that 6a is an indicator that you are not doing well?

What are your long term expectations in terms of maths?

A 6a would indicate a certain C+, probably a B at GCSE and I would really expect you to be in a Higher GCSE group. If you are wanting to do better than this then you will need to do extra work over the next 2 years, essentially doing as much extra practice at home on each topic as you complete it at school.
Reply 18
Original post by Big-Daddy

6A in the middle of year 5 is not normal. The average by the end of year six is a level 4.
Reply 19

It is possible to get level 6's in your primary school sats, you can take level 6 papers.

Quick Reply

Latest