Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini or iPhone 4s?

Watch
TMaj
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
My contract has just ended and after months of using a brick phone I'm stuck between the Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini or the iPhone 4s. I really don't want to go any bigger than these two phones and definitely don't want a huge phone like the S4 etc.

The contracts are pretty much the same price so I can't really use that as a deciding factor. I spoke to someone in Carphone Warehouse who said that the S4 Mini is a better phone in general and can do some things the iphone can't. I'm quite worried about the battery of the phones because none of my friend's iphones seem to last a full day. I like the set up of the iphone because it's easy to use etc but I'm wary of paying for a phone that's overpriced for what it is.

Any advice is greatly appreciated
ashleighgiles
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Both are overpriced (in my opinion). Samsung's Mini series are just budget versions of the real thing, and their downgraded specs don't match the price.

If you need a comparison check, maybe this can help

Comparison

All smartphone batteries won't last a full day. Even though salespeople say their batteries last long, they still don't count the activity done on the phone during the day.

If I had to choose, then it would be an S4 mini.
Youdontneedtokno
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Iphone 4s!
MrMusicLTD
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'd go for the iPhone 4S if I were you as it's most likely going to last longer than the S4 Mini. I have a cousin who got the 4S as soon as it came out and she's had no problems with it since. In addition, Apple products just tend to last longer than any other products to be honest, and they also have excellent security features - you won't ever get a bug/virus, but if you do, you can go to the Apple store and get it fixed in no time. Trust me, they've got the best help available - excellent customer service, excellent apps, and just excellent everything! And look at this way, the 4S has been out for a good 2 years and it costs the same amount, if not more, than the S4 Mini - for me, that speaks for itself.
WildThornberry
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Dumachi)
Why not just get the galaxy S3?
Yeah I was just thinking that, you can get it free for 17 pounds a month in O2, but it's probably a rubbish tariff
FloydRix
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I wouldn't go near an apple product so go for samsung galaxy
TMaj
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Thanks for the opinions/advice everyone!

I know both phones are overpriced but the reason I don't want to go for the S3 is because I find it too big. All the new/best androids seem to be pretty huge that's why I was leaning towards the S4 mini. Also I 've had problems with going way over my minutes on my contract so I really need a tariff that has genuine unlimited minutes which is what 02 were offering me for these 2 phones.
StringerBell9
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Dumachi)
Why not just get the galaxy S3?
This
RichardLai
Badges: 12
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by TMaj)
Thanks for the opinions/advice everyone!

I know both phones are overpriced but the reason I don't want to go for the S3 is because I find it too big. All the new/best androids seem to be pretty huge that's why I was leaning towards the S4 mini. Also I 've had problems with going way over my minutes on my contract so I really need a tariff that has genuine unlimited minutes which is what 02 were offering me for these 2 phones.
O2 have a fair use of 5,000 minutes. Is that enough for you?
Are you sure you actually need "Unlimited" minutes. Would say 1000 or 1500 not be enough.
jicjax
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Which ever phone you choose, i would not recommend having it on the 3 network, been on that for 2 years and hated the fact that i got hardly any signal at home, uni or in town, but in the middle of nowhere i would get full bars?!? Was irritating being on the phone to someone then all of a sudden would lose signal! -.- Would recommend O2 or T-mobile
shanghaichica
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I would get the S4 mini. The iPhone 4S is still a very capable phone and will be very snappy however it's been out for 2 years now and won't be supported by Apple in terms of software updates for much longer. The S4 mini is more future proof.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Meehsa
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
S4 has a ****ty resolution and therefore it's a big no. iPhone 4s offers better display and I would choose it over S4 mini any day!
LavenderBlueSky88
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Get a galaxy s3....im on a £20 tariff with unlimited data! Such good value compared to the iPhone.
missfats
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I have an s4 and I love it best phone.. so is the mini get it theres not much differance !!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
missfats
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Tf its got an better pixel resoultion.. read all reviews even iphone 5 is ****ttt compared to s4 or htc one or even the mini.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sgt.Incontro
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ashleighgiles)
All smartphone batteries won't last a full day.
Nope.

Mine (AT&T HTC One X) lasts a FULL day under heavy usage, and around one and a half days of normal usage.

My friends Galaxy S3 also lasts the full day with heavy usage.

You just have to buy the right phone and use it properly.
Meehsa
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Sgt.Incontro)
Nope.

Mine (AT&T HTC One X) lasts a FULL day under heavy usage, and around one and a half days of normal usage.

My friends Galaxy S3 also lasts the full day with heavy usage.

You just have to buy the right phone and use it properly.

You know I find it very hard to believe this. I have used iOS, Android, and Windows Phone 8 and have to say than Windows Phones have better battery backup. Android and battery backup? Hope that improves!
Sgt.Incontro
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Meehsa)
You know I find it very hard to believe this. I have used iOS, Android, and Windows Phone 8 and have to say than Windows Phones have better battery backup. Android and battery backup? Hope that improves!
Not all Android phones are the same you know?

And as I said, it entirely depends how you use them.
SImBak
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I would definitely go for the S4 mini.

The iphone is good but limited whilst the S4 mini (or any other android phone) is just more functional! It can do everything the iphone can do and more...
On3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
T Mobile and o2 use the same masts as 3!!!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (85)
14.1%
I'm not sure (27)
4.48%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (190)
31.51%
I have already dropped out (13)
2.16%
I'm not a current university student (288)
47.76%

Watched Threads