Direct proportion question

Watch this thread
Snazarina
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
An ice manufacturing machine requires 10 minutes to warm up before the production of ice begins. The mass, in tonnes, of ice produced is directly proportional to the number of hours of production. Given that 20 tonnes of ice are produced when the machine ran for half an hour, find the mass of ice produced when thr machine ran for 7/4 hours.

Ok so i did m=kh (m is mass and h is hours )
20=k 1/2
K=40

When k=40, m= 70 tonnes.
However, the answer says 95 tonnes. Am i missing something here? Can someone help pls.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mr M
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Snazarina)
An ice manufacturing machine requires 10 minutes to warm up before the production of ice begins. The mass, in tonnes, of ice produced is directly proportional to the number of hours of production. Given that 20 tonnes of ice are produced when the machine ran for half an hour, find the mass of ice produced when thr machine ran for 7/4 hours.

Ok so i did m=kh (m is mass and h is hours )
20=k 1/2
K=40

When k=40, m= 70 tonnes.
However, the answer says 95 tonnes. Am i missing something here? Can someone help pls.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes you are failing to take account of the time the machine needs to warm up.
Snazarina
Rep:
(Original post by Mr M)
Yes you are failing to take account of the time the machine needs to warm up.
How do i include that into the equation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mr M
Rep:
Report 9 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
You don't need to if you don't want to. Just assume the machine runs for 20 mins instead of 30.

It is easy to include it the equation though. I'll let you think about it a bit more.
krisshP
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 9 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry, but you pretty much need to restart everything. The sense that you need to recalculate k.

When 20 tonnes of ice is produced, machines runs for half an hour, so produces for 20 mins which is 1/3 hours.

20=(k)(1/3)

You do the rest now
Snazarina
Rep:
(Original post by Mr M)
You don't need to if you don't want to. Just assume the machine runs for 20 mins instead of 30.

It is easy to include it the equation though. I'll let you think about it a bit more.
Ok assuming it runs for 20 mins then i've got k=60
Hence m=60 (7/4-1/6)
m=95.

Perfect! Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mr M
Rep:
Report 9 years ago
Ok assuming it runs for 20 mins then i've got k=60
Hence m=60 (7/4-1/6)
m=95.

Perfect! Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well done.

If you want a formula that includes the 1/6 it would be:

m = 60(h-\frac{1}{6}) but I guess you have already realised that.
Snazarina
Rep:
(Original post by Mr M)
Well done.

If you want a formula that includes the 1/6 it would be:

m = 60(h-\frac{1}{6}) but I guess you have already realised that.
Hehehe yes thank you for your help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
raqureshi78
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I instead do not convert minutes to hours.m = 20, h = running time, so h=20 min because machine requires 10 mins for warm up.m = k.h20= k. 20k= 1now we have running hours 1.75 = 105 min. 10 mins of warm up will be subtracted, we have 95 mins remainingm = k. h.m = 1. 95m = 95 tonnes
Nawalkhalil
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
M=k(h -10)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How did The Student Room help you with your university application?

Talking to current university students (12)
17.65%
Talking to peers going through the same thing (24)
35.29%
Speaking to student ambassadors from the universities (5)
7.35%
Speaking to staff members from universities (1)
1.47%
Using the personal statement builder, library or helper service (7)
10.29%
Reading articles about what steps to take (14)
20.59%
Learning about/speaking to Student Finance England (2)
2.94%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
4.41%

Watched Threads