The Student Room Group

Are you allowed to go into any lectures?

Hello everyone. I was wondering whether the professor would kick you out the lecture if you weren't doing the course. Would that occur and have you done it before?
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Lecture rooms are quite busy and big. So I doubt the Professor would notice.
Reply 2
Depends on the subject and how many people take it! In my maths lectures there were about 300 people, it's hardly like the lecturers know every face in the room. I've seen people take in their friends to lectures.
Reply 3
Original post by Ben Kenobi
Lecture rooms are quite busy and big. So I doubt the Professor would notice.

Is it legal? You pay £9000 each year surely you should be able to make the most out of it.
Reply 4
Original post by 1235
Is it legal? You pay £9000 each year surely you should be able to make the most out of it.

Should be legal. I know of a few friends who are currently at university who have done it.
Reply 5
University of Liverpool Law students go to LJMU lectures, I'm sure going to different lectures I'm your own uni is sound if they do that
Reply 6
Original post by Ben Kenobi
Should be legal. I know of a few friends who are currently at university who have done it.

How large was the class if you don't mind me asking?
well i do engineering and love to sit in on criminology and economics. The lecture rooms are so big but never full so you never get noticed.
Reply 8
Original post by 1235
How large was the class if you don't mind me asking?

I don't know. I am not at university myself. Just heard from a few friends from my school year above me that they went to a lecture not relating to their subject.
There are some lectures at the Uni I am going to in September, that I might sit in on if I have time in my timetable, because they look very interesting :smile:
Apparently for Brian Cox's lectures, they sometimes make you show your ID/check against a list to make sure you're meant to be there. That's probably just because of who is he though and they don't want to risk people who don't take the course but like him to take up seats that those actually on the course should have.

Generally, you can go to any you want normally. There might be a few general access restrictions (e.g. an undergrad may not be able to get past barriers in a postgrad building because their card doesn't give them access) but that's probably fairly rare.
Reply 11
Usually in a theatre type lecture hall, it's very easy to do so as lecturers have no idea on faces and attendance fluctuates anyways as I hear.

I probably will do some come uni, if I can with some politics or even history :smile: sounds interesting !

(If there's spare capacity in the hall why not !)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Many lecture halls have dozens, if not hundreds, of seats. Slipping in to a lecture should not get you noticed.

Is it illegal? I doubt it, unless you break any locks or whatever, in which case it may just be a count of damage or whatever. I doubt they'd even report you for trepassing, but it really depends on the university, so you should ask someone about it. I see no harm in attending other lectures if it's a personal interest (and you're not distracting). A fire register is the only reason I could see why they would be against it.

Some rooms may be unlocked by ID cards though, so you may be denied access based on that.
Why would you want to?
Reply 14
Original post by wildrover
Why would you want to?

To make the most out of my education plus to learn from other courses which i am interested in. The question from me to you is why would you not want to?
Reply 15
If it's a big lecture and there's space, then certainly yes. If it's a much smaller group and taking place in a small room, there might be space issues.
Yeah why not, you don't even have to be at the uni, just stroll in mate. That's what I'm going to do if I don't get in, I'll just take the tests at the end and get a degree, won't even have to pay the fees!
To be honest I doubt the lecturers would notice :tongue: every time I go to a lecture I think I can see people I've never even seen before, so no-one would notice or even care for that matter. Seminars are registered, so they're a different matter :tongue:

It only becomes a problem if you don't go to your own lectures in favour of others :tongue:
Reply 18
Original post by wheatley93
Yeah why not, you don't even have to be at the uni, just stroll in mate. That's what I'm going to do if I don't get in, I'll just take the tests at the end and get a degree, won't even have to pay the fees!

By getting a degree, do you mean somebody elses? :eyeball:
My aim for next year is to attend some physcology lectures, preferably on human behaviour. I just need to find out, and if I start attending early enough the lecturers might think I am actually a student.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending