The Student Room Group

UNO Reform

Hi all,
In keeping with my campaign pledge, I am now beginning work on the reform of UNOs. It has previously been suggested that UNOs have been unclear in what they stand for. I firmly believe that UNOs also fail to excite the imagination of the holders of the officers. With that in mind, I have selected new UNOs which I feel better capture the imagination of members within the MUN and also capture the essence of some of the major issues facing the world today. I have limited UNOs to five to act as a trial run. I have also decided to task UNOs with providing reports every six months on a topic of their choice within their area of expertise (though they may produce more). The aim of UNOs will be to provide on going analysis of issues within the world while simultaneously commenting on news stories and debates in general to provide their unique perspectives on the issues of the world. UNOs shall still be barred from voting on resolutions, but should still be considered an integral part of the MUN and just as important as any member state. The five UNOs selected are:

- Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR)

- United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)

- United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC)

- Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (HCR)

- United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)

A resolution shall be posted for debate after a seven day discussion period of the proposals here.

Toronto353 :smile:
Haven't we not been able to fill all these UNO seats in the past? It's good that the MUN charter is making their role clear. For now I will vote aye.
Reply 2
Original post by PierceBrosnan
Haven't we not been able to fill all these UNO seats in the past? It's good that the MUN charter is making their role clear. For now I will vote aye.

I think that some of it is because the current offices are hardly the most inspiring so people don't want to take them on. I've tried to make them in keeping with current concerns in international affairs. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by toronto353
Hi all,
In keeping with my campaign pledge, I am now beginning work on the reform of UNOs. It has previously been suggested that UNOs have been unclear in what they stand for. I firmly believe that UNOs also fail to excite the imagination of the holders of the officers. With that in mind, I have selected new UNOs which I feel better capture the imagination of members within the MUN and also capture the essence of some of the major issues facing the world today. I have limited UNOs to five to act as a trial run. I have also decided to task UNOs with providing reports every six months on a topic of their choice within their area of expertise (though they may produce more). The aim of UNOs will be to provide on going analysis of issues within the world while simultaneously commenting on news stories and debates in general to provide their unique perspectives on the issues of the world. UNOs shall still be barred from voting on resolutions, but should still be considered an integral part of the MUN and just as important as any member state. The five UNOs selected are:

- Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR)

- United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP)

- United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC)

- Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (HCR)

- United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)

A resolution shall be posted for debate after a seven day discussion period of the proposals here.

Toronto353 :smile:

Would the IAEA come under any of these? I think it's important to keep it as a non-political voice on nuclear issues.
Reply 4
Original post by Qwertish
Would the IAEA come under any of these? I think it's important to keep it as a non-political voice on nuclear issues.

At the moment the plan is to scrap all current UNOs and replace them with the above, but I shall consider the IAEA and it may take the place of the UNDP.
Reply 5
Original post by PierceBrosnan

We haven't been able to fill all of them, but a couple of have been filled since their introduction. Lots of those people decided to vacate their UNO role as they were uncertain of the actual role they were taking on. Hopefully the reforms which you are seeing & discussing in this thread will help make sure the positions are filled by people who know what they are actually taking on.
Original post by RoryS
We haven't been able to fill all of them, but a couple of have been filled since their introduction. Lots of those people decided to vacate their UNO role as they were uncertain of the actual role they were taking on. Hopefully the reforms which you are seeing & discussing in this thread will help make sure the positions are filled by people who know what they are actually taking on.

Let's hope so because pretty much every position in MUN is pretty damn good.
We need to ensure any UNO roles actually have a purpose rather than existing just to copy RL. Previously, positions such as the World Bank, WHO or UNESCO for example have been irrelevant and unnecessary as reps didn't do anything.
Can I take up the Human Rights office please? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I like this idea. Makes things clearer and more appealing to any would be participants.

I agree with Qwertish when he says the IAEA should remain.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending