The Student Room Group

A2 Maths - Statistics, Mechanics or Decision?

Hello everyone,
I have just finished my AS year. I am looking to go into my A2 year in September and I am looking to continue studying Maths to A2 level. I have an option of studying either Statistics (S2), Mechanics (M2) or Decision (D2) as an additional module to A2 Maths, which I assume would be included with Core 3 and Core 4.
However, I studied S1 Statistics for my AS level and I didn't find it particularly enjoyable. I'm thinking about studying Decision next year, however does anyone have any opinions? Particularly those who have just finished their A2 Maths :smile:

Any help would be widely appreciated. Cheers
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1
S2 is very different from s1. Still haven't fully got my head around s1 but s2 took me 3 days. Very easy, and not much content :smile:
For edexcel as I presume all other exam boards you cannot take M2 or D2 without the prior M1 and D1 modules, so as application modules go you would only be able to take S2,D1 or M1 - personally I would take mechanics

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Did S2 and M2 as I did Further. Found S2 much easier exam wise than M2. It gets really repetitive, but is so mind-numbingly boring for me!

Meanwhile, M2 was a notch up in difficulty personally, but because I want to do Physics later I needed to do it, and fairly enjoyed it (relative to S2)

In the end M2 and M3 exams went awfully, but I'm glad I did em. S2 went well, but can't see myself using it.

D2 I think would be similar to S2, fairly ok difficulty wise, but perhaps boring :cool:
Reply 4
I did S2 and M2 and I found S2 extremely boring and tedious, however it would be simple to get a good grade if you get your head down and get on with it.

M2 is not much of a step up from M1, it is very straightforward. I got on with it well because I can picture what's going on quite well and I find all that stuff interesting so if you're like me then you'll like M2. however because I'm assuming from what you've put, you haven't done M1, then I would recommend that instead of S2 because it is easy. D1 is also easy but its so boring...it depends what you would prefer

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by spanishovenfork
Hello everyone,
I have just finished my AS year. I am looking to go into my A2 year in September and I am looking to continue studying Maths to A2 level. I have an option of studying either Statistics (S2), Mechanics (M2) or Decision (D2) as an additional module to A2 Maths, which I assume would be included with Core 3 and Core 4.
However, I studied S1 Statistics for my AS level and I didn't find it particularly enjoyable. I'm thinking about studying Decision next year, however does anyone have any opinions? Particularly those who have just finished their A2 Maths :smile:

You either do S2 or you do M1 or D1

What are you looking to do at university/what are your other A Levels
Reply 6
I would suggest D1 as I have done all of those modules and D1 is by far the easiest and is easy marks so you can get into the university of your choice. D1 is basically sets of rules you have to remember and logical thinking with no hard maths to do.
Reply 7
Original post by spanishovenfork
Hello everyone,

I did Statistics, Decision is a good decision! If you plan to enter any fields involving Mechanics, go for that.

Quick Reply

Latest