Decision Time... Watch

This discussion is closed.
ToshTrent
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Hi,

I'm currently trying to make my final decision about which University to go to. I have a couple questions which will help me with it.

Bournemouth
1 Year Placement,
Halls of Residence,
Crappy Computer Suite,

Thames Valley
No Placement Year,
Rented Accommodation,
Great Computer Suite,

1. Does a Placement Year help with employment?
2. If you achieve a degree does it matter what University it was gained at?
3. Any plus/negative points about the two Uni's listed above?

Thanx

Tosh.
fionah
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by ToshTrent)
Hi,

I'm currently trying to make my final decision about which University to go to. I have a couple questions which will help me with it.

Bournemouth
1 Year Placement,
Halls of Residence,
Crappy Computer Suite,

Thames Valley
No Placement Year,
Rented Accommodation,
Great Computer Suite,

Thanx

Tosh.
1. Yes I believe so. 'Work experience' does at least - and you could hypothetically get that in your summer holidays.
2. Yes. Eg. I hear that bournemouth has a lot of good contacts within the media industry. TVU has not as good 'reputation' as bournemouth, but the location might be better for you..
3. As above.
Moog
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
bump
Danithestudent
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Moog)
bump
Go to Bournemouth and don't look back
Sami_ThePeelite
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
mines a pint !!

lets read books about guys called Danny the Daggerman from Daggenham !

Alan Partridge, love Steeve Coogon (nice avatar)

sorry off topic lol
viviki
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Can I just say TVU NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!
Sami_ThePeelite
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
don't go to TVU unless you've had a labotomy
ToshTrent
Rep:
?
ok, i read about TVU almost being closed down 5 years ago, but it seemed ok when i went to the OpenDay. I take it that it's still as kack as ever then.

Any TVU students here?
Moog
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
1. Can't say from any personal experience but apparently yes. Although I must admit I don't like the idea of it purely because it's an extra year.

2. Deffinately yes! Employers prefer graduates from unis with good reputations. Eg. the obvious example oxford/cambridge grad would find it much easier to get a job than somone with same degree from Bolton Institute.

3. I can only say what i've read (not having been ot either), but supposedly employers don't look highly on TVU graduates. Where as Bournemouth is supposed to be regarded quite well within the technology industry. But unfortunately has the compulsary sandwich year.
Danithestudent
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Do whatever feels right and if you go to TVU you are coming clubbing or giggin with me...I'm accumulating a group so i don't get lonesome
Moog
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Do whatever feels right and if you go to TVU you are coming clubbing or giggin with me...I'm accumulating a group so i don't get lonesome
Are u going to TVU?
Danithestudent
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Moog)
Are u going to TVU?
No the London Institute. LOL, I wouldn't apply to TVU in a Cajillion years!
Moog
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
No the London Institute. LOL, I wouldn't apply to TVU in a Cajillion years!
Just checking.
AT82
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Bournemouth without a doubt. TVU is only really a university by name., Going of their statistics its more of an HE college (only 26% of their students come are studying a degree level or above HE qualifcation).

I know somebody at my old college who went to TVU to study ICT, he got a poor reference from my college and he got EE in his AVCE and failed his AS Business Studies.
Muse
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
Bournemouth without a doubt. TVU is only really a university by name., Going of their statistics its more of an HE college (only 26% of their students come are studying a degree level or above HE qualifcation).

I know somebody at my old college who went to TVU to study ICT, he got a poor reference from my college and he got EE in his AVCE and failed his AS Business Studies.
You should be getting paid by TVU for all the positive advertising you've given it over the last few weeks
BossLady
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by timeofyourlife)
You should be getting paid by TVU for all the positive advertising you've given it over the last few weeks
Hehe he should be their mascot! That would be tres funny
VoodooDoll
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
from what people on this site have said about TVU i wouldn't touch the place with a barge pole. a degree from TVU it seems equated to 16 K debt and a job at mcdonalds....
ToshTrent
Rep:
?
Thanks very much for you comments. Proving very helpful for making my decision. Shame the computer suite @ bournmouth is pants compared, but they have a better gym, student union, halls, and much more.
young_free
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Isn't there like 500 uni's in the UK ( read it on some random website) what are the uni's that don't even make it on the top 120?
ThomTurtle
Report 14 years ago
unis aren't unis because they offer research degrees, they are unis when, like many other things in our damn kingdom, the queen says so. a university needs a royal charter, it doesn't need to offer research degrees. of course, many would say that any of the new universites (that is unis that used to be polytechnics but that received royal charters when the government realised they could wring the british education system of even more money) aren;t really unis at all. and some would go further and say that a decent uni is one wholly lead by research which is only the top few. choose bournemouth - if nothing else you get the beach. besides which, the computer suites surely can;t be that bad.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1648)
78.78%
Leave (444)
21.22%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise