The Student Room Group

Would you un-friend someone if you found out they were racist?

Poll

Would you block them out?

If you found out that a close friend of yours was racist or homophobic or had some other rather unsavoury view, would you just stop being friends with them and start blocking them out?

I thought the answer was an obvious yes, but I asked some of my friends and they said they might loose interest in them over time but didn't think they would ever un-friend them.

I know this is hard to answer because you would probably know things like this about a close friend, but in the rare circumstance they had never mentioned their views on homosexuality or equivalent before, would you simply block them out?
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

How racist are we talking here? Full-on racism? Racist horseplay? What?
Reply 2
Yes. Yes yes yes. By remaining friends with them you're enabling their racist beliefs. It's like remaining friends with a bully when you yourself oppose it.
Original post by Ashahedow
Yes. Yes yes yes. By remaining friends with them you're enabling their racist beliefs. It's like remaining friends with a bully when you yourself oppose it.

I think it depends on if they act on them, if you've got racist views but keep them to yourself that's a bit different to being a bully that torments people
Reply 4
I don't think a racist would be friends with me in the first place tbh :erm:
I think it would depend on a) the extent of their homophobia/racism and b) how vocal they are of it

If it's mild and they don't go round discriminating against people, I probably would just ignore it. If they were bullying people, I'd confront them and/or stop being friends with them

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, if they were privately racist, but yes if they were actively racist.

if that makes sense
Reply 7
Original post by SpicyStrawberry
I think it depends on if they act on them, if you've got racist views but keep them to yourself that's a bit different to being a bully that torments people

How many racists don't act on their beliefs in some form? Very few, otherwise we wouldn't be discussing it right now. Who's voting for fascist parties like the BNP and EDL?

I personally find it appalling that anyone from this generation with access to knowledge and this level of cultural integration could still be racist.
Original post by Ashahedow
How many racists don't act on their beliefs in some form? Very few, otherwise we wouldn't be discussing it right now. Who's voting for fascist parties like the BNP and EDL?

I personally find it appalling that anyone from this generation with access to knowledge and this level of cultural integration could still be racist.

Well that's the point, we don't know because people can hold decidedly racist views but not act on them, so we cannot quantify it.

Racism is unacceptable in our society, but we can't read minds at the same time, and it's more constructive to challenge why people feel this way instead of simply shunning them.
Seeing as I'm mixed race, I would definitely not want them as a friend anymore.
Reply 10
I'd unfriend them straight away if they were homophobic. I despise homophobia and lose respect for someone if they are homophobic.

If they were racist, I'd tell them I disagree with their views and become distant with them.

I don't think homophobia is any worse than racism. It's just that homophobia has affected my family more and is more personal to me.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 11
I really can't believe that so many people are fine with tolerating a racist or homophobic friend even if they don't act on it. Surely you would just loose all respect for them and then at that point how could you stand to be around them??
Well I wouldn't un-friend them just because their views/beliefs were different from mine. But if they actually strongly acted upon their racist/homophobic views and kept making continuous comments then I would speak up/ un-friend them depending on the situation.
The issue is: does one perceive racism when it is there? Is there a difference between making stereotypical remarks about other ethnicities and despising other ethnicities? How does one understand racism? How is it expressed/displayed?
Yes no question about it!!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd challenge their views. If they aren't willing to change then I'd ditch them.
Reply 16
If one of my friends was racist, and I mean actually racist not just making a few jokes then I would call them out on it. If they didn't get what's wrong with it then I don't see myself being friends with them for much longer.
I have to respect my friends and I have no respect for racists.
depends whether their view offends you or not..

If you were homosexual and found out your mate was homophobic or if you were coloured and found out your friend was racist their views would counteract the friendship. You would start feeling uncomfortable around them and keep thinking of how they do not approve/are against what you are.

If you were heterosexual and your mate was homophobic or if you were not coloured and your friend was racist whilst you may not necessarily agree with their views. Their views are not so much directed at you and you may not interpret them in such a personal way.

I think a lot of people would like to say 'orrr yeah course I would unfriend them straight away' but I think the reaction would be based on how much significance/ personal relevance their view had to you, as their friend. Then again I know people who would address the issue whether or not the comment affected them directly so as I said above it depends...
(edited 10 years ago)
I oppose a lot of religious beliefs as strongly as I oppose racist beliefs.

People should not be condemned for believing stupid things. Those beliefs should be condemned. What is the point of not talking to somebody simply for what they believe? Why not instead talk to them about what they believe, and try to make them see sense? Or, god forbid, see things from their perspective.

Everybody is a valid human being, no matter what their opinion is, until they wish to apply that opinion onto others with force. A racist belief is no more harmful if kept quiet, than a belief in God, and it is certainly no more stupid.
Reply 19
I actually don't think I would.

As long as they don't act racist infront of me or anyone I know and I know they are not racist towards me (obv) then no.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending