The Student Room Group

How to get AAA at A-level?

I'm going to be studying A-levels in biology, chemistry, maths and geography next year, and I'm hoping to study medicine at a Russel Group uni (yeah, I know, I have high hopes) so I need AAA as a minimum. I'm still waiting on my GCSE results, but (without wanting to jinx anything) I'm expecting mostly A*s with the odd A. My school's approach to teaching is based on the assumption that you're going to do a lot of extra work at home, and I've got a lot of conflicting advice on how many hours I should be putting in at home. Can someone with experience of A-levels set me straight? How much work should I do per night? What should I do in terms of extra work? Do you recommend any specific resources?
Reply 1
Just work your butt off.
Do all work you are set and as much extra as you feel comfortable, it's an individual thing really.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It differs for everyone. I only do two of those so I can't tell you exactly but it just depends on different modules, if you have one teacher that you don't learn as well from or whether you begin to struggle with geography because its different to the others. Everyone just basically does what's best for them. They usually say one hour per subject per night but I don't know anyone who does that unless its coming up to exams or whatever and there's no way I have time for four hours of work per night or I'd be there till 9pm. Some people manage to achieve the grades you want without much work at all yet I'm hoping with every fibre of my being that I have AAAB on Thursday but more likely to be AAAC and I worked really hard. To cut a long story short, it's going to depend on you and will change depending on which topics because you'll naturally find some easier than others or enjoy some more than others. When you do finally start, do past papers, they're the best things to revise from
Reply 4
Original post by ColourDog
Just work your butt off.

This guy gets it. Revise what you learnt at the end of every day, even if its for 10 minutes. Do as much practice questions as you can.
Reply 5
There is no set number of hours. If you feel confident in what you're covering there may not even be a need for regular study sessions outside school. If you're less confident, go over stuff in your own time until you understand it.

It's really quite simple, just work as much as you feel you need to.

For Maths, just make sure you keep up with every topic, perhaps using practice questions from the book to test your understanding outside of the classroom. If you're mathematically inclined it's not too hard an A-Level to do well in, just practice questions and past papers whenever you feel you're less than 100% on a topic.

Best of luck! :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by medaway
This guy gets it. Revise what you learnt at the end of every day, even if its for 10 minutes. Do as much practice questions as you can.

Ahem:closedeyes:
Reply 7

Know the specification; learn what you need to learn.

Complete all textbook questions.

Strive to understand and not just repeat.

Do ALL past papers, twice if you have time.

Work consistently throughout the year.

Plan out your revision; start as early as possible.

I'm on track for A*A*A*A (I'll find out on Thursday, eek!) and the above worked for me! Good luuuucckkk! :biggrin:
Going over what you've learned in lessons is the most important thing for sure. However, in order to make the most of your time in school, it is best to ask teachers when you're not sure of something. Even if it's not during lesson time, it's worth going to the faculty staff room to see if your teacher is free and can help you, if you're stuck on a concept.

And, for heaven's sake, don't waste lesson time! There are a couple of boys in my A level maths class that I teach who sit and chat all lesson (which is their choice) and when exams started approaching they came to me saying they haven't got a clue etc. (which is better than nothing I guess!).
Original post by Autistic Merit
Going over what you've learned in lessons is the most important thing for sure. However, in order to make the most of your time in school, it is best to ask teachers when you're not sure of something. Even if it's not during lesson time, it's worth going to the faculty staff room to see if your teacher is free and can help you, if you're stuck on a concept.

And, for heaven's sake, don't waste lesson time! There are a couple of boys in my A level maths class that I teach who sit and chat all lesson (which is their choice) and when exams started approaching they came to me saying they haven't got a clue etc. (which is better than nothing I guess!).

All of this, so much. Chances are you can learn far more efficiently when you're in a classroom, with all the resources at your fingertips and a teacher who (hopefully) knows their stuff and can try and explain difficult things to you. If you work hard in class and make sure you learn everything thoroughly the first time you cover it, the amount of time and effort you have to expend outside of this will be greatly reduced.

Also, don't worry about thrashing out x number of hours of work for the sake of it, especially with regard to revision close to exams. I certainly find that I can remember far more stuff when I'm relaxed and well-rested, so far better to do what you need to and then stop to get yourself in the right frame of mind for exams, rather than force yourself to do more work than is really necessary and end up exhausted/terrified for the exams. A-levels are about hard work, but if you're not working smart and putting in the effort in the right way then a lot of it will be going to waste.
Reply 10
Original post by ColourDog
Ahem:closedeyes:

Forgive me, Madam:tongue:
Being naturally clever and paying attention in class helps.

Quick Reply

Latest