Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    It just, bores me. I find it kinda easy, [but not easy enough reaaally] and this just removes the urgency, so i'm never going to get round to it. Last year I think i just read the revision guide and did a few past papers.

I want ideas, pleaaaase

ReputationRep:
    EASY? tell me biology is easy before u sit for ur synoptic exam
    If its easy why do u need ideas?

ReputationRep:
    Well if you're good at it then that's all you need to do

My revision strategy for Uni is to:

a) read over everything first, don't worry about making notes
    b) read everything over again, making a concious effort to learn. this involves:

1) Reading through a page, and then going over the page again trying to remember everything
    2) Reading over a lecture, and then going over the lecture again, trying to remember everything
    3) Go over the whole lecture course, trying to remember everything

Anything I don't remember gets jotted down in a kind of abstract way on a piece of paper. I can then go over this bit of paper and learn the stuff (going over other stuff at the same time, as the abstract way of written it down requires me to put in a context that I SHOULD know).

I also write a list of words as I go through that might be a bit tricky to remember, with their definitions. So I can go over those and concentrate on them in one session.

Unfortunatley procrastination gets in the way and the reviewing of what I've just gone over usually gets shunted out the way due to time constraints It's probably the most important bit too. However I make sure to give myself a few extra days so I can go over stuff I'm not sure on still, do past papers, look up stuff etc..

ReputationRep:
    Easy> Are you joking? Have you not seen the synoptic paper?!

ReputationRep:
    for bio i print out the specifications then put a little circle next to the bits i need to revise then go throught making notes on them and ticking them off.

Biology is pretty easy, i do have a knack for just remembering things in biology though. I only need i E/D this year in biology to get a B, which is nice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by so_this_is_sam)
    Easy> Are you joking? Have you not seen the synoptic paper?!
    well, i did say "kinda" and "but not easy enough reeaaally" too...

I have seen the synoptic, which is why i do *need* to revise!

When i say easy, I mean, last year it was easy, in jan I almost got an A (which for some reason i'm retaking and will do worse on!) I just don't like it anymore. I'm sick of AQA's kinda 'trick' questions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom H)
    Well if you're good at it then that's all you need to do

My revision strategy for Uni is to:

a) read over everything first, don't worry about making notes
    b) read everything over again, making a concious effort to learn. this involves:

1) Reading through a page, and then going over the page again trying to remember everything
    2) Reading over a lecture, and then going over the lecture again, trying to remember everything
    3) Go over the whole lecture course, trying to remember everything

Anything I don't remember gets jotted down in a kind of abstract way on a piece of paper. I can then go over this bit of paper and learn the stuff (going over other stuff at the same time, as the abstract way of written it down requires me to put in a context that I SHOULD know).

I also write a list of words as I go through that might be a bit tricky to remember, with their definitions. So I can go over those and concentrate on them in one session.

Unfortunatley procrastination gets in the way and the reviewing of what I've just gone over usually gets shunted out the way due to time constraints It's probably the most important bit too. However I make sure to give myself a few extra days so I can go over stuff I'm not sure on still, do past papers, look up stuff etc..
    Thats great, but I have a WEEK!!! :argh:

ReputationRep:
    Here are my two euros: Go over the specification using a course-specific revision guide (Heinemann do fab ones) then do every past paper that ever existed. (AQA are generous with past papers, might I add)

Good luck. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saffie)
    Thats great, but I have a WEEK!!! :argh:
    So do I

Although I'm working on a 60 hour lecture course, which I can revise using this method in 4 days (theoretically!). I'm due to be done tomorrow, leaving up until Monday to get to grips with everything.

ReputationRep:
    I work by the specifications......heres the synoptic 1 guys

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Data/Publicati...zgd90MmcAz.pdf

page 84!
    read over it, make notes, find past paper questions on it
    then do abit of a mock

ReputationRep:
    when u have psychology and english to worry about with their essay based questions to revise for... human bio seems like a break!

ReputationRep:
    You can know how to answer a question sometimes but loose out on marks because of stupid mark schemes - AQA B

ReputationRep:
    I just don't revise! Not good I know.
    I would rather focus on more important exams in which I need the grades to get into uni rather than this. It's just so boring

ReputationRep:
    If there's stuff that is just simply memorising, I stick post-its around the house. Although this year I haven't bothered doing it for bio, just for chem, where there are heaps of really boring 'which reagent is needed?' or 'explain the technique of...' questions. Don't think it works for helping you to understand things, but when its simply a case of memory, I find it quite useful. Stick them in places you're going to see a lot (doors, next to light switches, bathroom cabinets) aside from the slightly tedious task of writing them out, and sticking them up, its minimal effort revision, really!

ReputationRep:
    I'm one of those sad ppl who doesnt find revising biol a chore, so i do it without grudges.

Best way i remembr stuff is puttin it all onto revision cards, and doin lots of past papers

ReputationRep:
    get blank sheet of plain paper, and just freestyle all over it! once your done, add in more parts from the book!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss Amy)
    I work by the specifications......heres the synoptic 1 guys

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Data/Publicati...zgd90MmcAz.pdf

page 84!
    read over it, make notes, find past paper questions on it
    then do abit of a mock
    sadly aqa don't have a specification for the synoptic

ReputationRep:
    AQA synoptic isn't as bad as people make out I don't think...

They ask really general questions, you don't need to know anything in great detail. Although there is the essay, but that just depends on what the question is really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aired)
    AQA synoptic isn't as bad as people make out I don't think...

They ask really general questions, you don't need to know anything in great detail. Although there is the essay, but that just depends on what the question is really.
    i'm starting to warm to that idea. I like that theres no mark scheme for the synoptic essay, so I can write what i like and make it sound biological And also its only worth 60 UMS whereas module 5+6 are 90 each, so technically its not as important :yy:

ReputationRep:
    Module 5 is worth 90? That's including the coursework though isn't it?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 16, 2006

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.