Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CharleeB)
    It isn't hard. Although Salters A2 chemistry investigation is awful, mine was 10,000 words took me ages! In general I think chemistry is a very easy A-level. It doesn't deserve its rep, Maths is very difficult though, it requires a LOT of work.
    I disagree. While I wouldn't say chemistry is by any means impossible, I certainly wouldn't describe it as 'very easy'. And personally, I don't find maths 'very difficult' or requiring as much work as you say. My main point here is that the OP should bear in mind that how hard they find chemistry is going to depend on their personal strengths, because everyone is different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CharleeB)
    It isn't hard. Although Salters A2 chemistry investigation is awful, mine was 10,000 words took me ages!
    Yeh same!! I think its so unfair that we had do basically do about 5 investigations in one for just one coursework (mine was 120 pages or something, though about 80 of them were calculations...)!!! It took me hours and hours (i didnt get any sleep the night before it was due in ), and i still dont think i did that well. In comparison, my physics coursework took me about 3/4 hours and i only lost 1 mark! how dumb!!

our school compeltely messed up the marking of it too - we'd ask a specific question about how to do something, get given an answer, and then after we gave it in they changed their minds, gave it back and demanded we changed it all...and this happened about 4 times! was the most stressful thing everrrr. but its all over now!

Sorry that was a bit off-topic. Personally i dont find A level chemistry difficult at all (aea is an entirely different story)- I think its partly because i do biology, physics and maths too, so any parts of chemistry which overlap with the other sciences (which is a lot of the salters course!) I've done already. though its a right pain having to learn all the reaction conditions!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I am one of those people who would say its my hardest out of it, Physics and Maths.

I would describe it similarly to ILovecomplex numbers earlier. Its the mix of facts and understanding type stuff that makes it tricky in exam situations. You may feel very confident during the year(s) of study because you deal mainly with the understanding underlying concept stuff that will get you most of your marks. Then, a month before your exam you start doing papers and you suddenly find unless you know a load of facts that might not even come up (eg. indicators, reaction conditions, various synthesis routes) you will find it hard to get the A. But all in all there is absolutely no reason to not want to do it due to difficulty. If you enjoy it you should go for it! Everyone finds it different and the practicals give a great break among your less practical subjects.

(Nufield chemistry here btw)

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I find chemistry the easiest of my a level subjects (maths and biology). With chemistry, once you have understood a concept it becomes logical and therefore easy to remember and apply. Biology is much harder, imo, its just learning endless pages of facts!

I am probably a bit biased as i'm going to do chemistry at Uni, however i'd say if u have a logical way of thinking, you'll be fine, don't let others put you off!!

xxxx

ReputationRep:
    I think it varies hugely from person to person as to what is difficult or what is easy. Out of Maths, Chemistry, Biology and History, I find the first two a lot easier that the other two. I know that a lot of people do struggle with them though, they're just the 2 that I find more logical (and easier to make up when you don't have a clue what the answer is...) I don't think anyone can tell you what you're going to find easy/hard, but if you're good at it now, it shouldn't be too bad next year!

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry is easy as long as you understand everything that is very crucial. You could be great at chemistry and understand it all but you won't necessarily get A's. Some exam boards namely OCR are very picky on the way they mark them and are tightening up on marks due to people getting too good at chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    well i do maths, chemistry physics and further maths, and i reckon its the hardest of my subjects. AS was fine but when you get to A2 there are just so many more things you need to learn, trends, reactions, conditions etc.

saying that, if you enjoy it, don't be put off, its a really fun subject!

ReputationRep:
    The difference between Chemistry/Physics/Maths and another subject like History/ICT/Biology, is that you really have to understand the stuff, not just memorise it.

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry is unlike the other sciences in that you cant just memorise the facts and regurgitate them in exams, because there are too many, you have to actually understand the concepts and apply them.
    Thats why Nuffield lets you take the book into your exams so you dont waste your time memorising the facts instead of learning to apply them. So I guess it also depends on the exam board.
    Personally I find Chemistry the most enjoyable subject (I also do, Maths, physics, economics at A2) and will be continuing with it at Uni.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry if this has already been said but here is my input.

I use to find Chemistry hard but that was only because I barely completed the homework tasks and self-studied a bit of the work. If you just follow the book, do all the questions and have a good teacher then Chem is just really easy. GCSE Chemistry (I did the EdExcel Double Award) was fairly easy and didn't require much knowledge of the subject BUT AS Level Chem is a BIG step forward. Just study hard, learn all the reactions and mechanisms given. And definetly buy a revision guide as they can help you quite a bit as reference (I take Nuffield Chem so the textbook is pretty useless).

Good Luck.

ReputationRep:
    Btw we only get the nuffield textbook in the synoptic paper so don't think it's *that* easy.

ReputationRep:
    my advice to anyone wanting 2 do chemistry a level...... DONT. unless u dont mind not having a social life. i quit after a while... it was rediculously impossible. but i guess if your interested and u have a lot of time u might as well try it. but only if u reeaallly want to.

ReputationRep:
    It isn't that hard. I expect it's a lot harder than a fair few A-levels but definitely not impossible. Learning all the organic reactions in Medicine by Design (Salters) isn't fun though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flojo-mojo)
    my advice to anyone wanting 2 do chemistry a level...... DONT. unless u dont mind not having a social life. i quit after a while... it was rediculously impossible. but i guess if your interested and u have a lot of time u might as well try it. but only if u reeaallly want to.
    That's your experience, but I don't think it's fair for you to imply that everyone will feel the same. Just because you didn't enjoy it/found it extremely difficult, doesn't mean everyone else will too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flojo-mojo)
    This is such an unhelpful post. Everyone should be opinionated, but outright telling someone not to do something because you yourself are not capable, is wrong.
    You have to give up your social life? So untrue. I will not give up my social life for education full stop, because family, friends and taking time out in general is just as important, if not more. I'm sure most people feel the same-- its all about balance.

ReputationRep:
    PEDANTIC - its ridiculously pedantic. Chemistry isn't hard - examiners artificially increase its difficulty by making the marking scheme very pedantic. Simple as that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gammon)
    Hi everyone, i'm a GCSE student currently studying OCR double award science. I've applied to do chemistry AS level (as well as biology, maths, f maths and french).
    Out of all the sciences I find chemistry the easiest (although I didn't at the start of the course) and can understand how everything interelates. It is enjoyable. With Biology I find it fact learning and as for physics that's one thing I parrot learn with no understanding but I guess that's ok as i'm not planning to take it next year.
    However everyones attitude on here is starting to worry me. Chemistry is constantly labelled here as being hard and notoriously difficult. May I ask any A level chemists why is this? Is it the amount of it? Or is it the difficulty in understanding the subject? Is it the exam papers? Or is it anything else?
    I'm starting to feel a bit put off this subject??
    tbh, i thought it was really hard at gcse, took it at alevel and found it soooo much easier; although, i am absolutely in love with chem now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apoorva)
    I'm sorry if this has already been said but here is my input.

I use to find Chemistry hard but that was only because I barely completed the homework tasks and self-studied a bit of the work. If you just follow the book, do all the questions and have a good teacher then Chem is just really easy. GCSE Chemistry (I did the EdExcel Double Award) was fairly easy and didn't require much knowledge of the subject BUT AS Level Chem is a BIG step forward. Just study hard, learn all the reactions and mechanisms given. And definetly buy a revision guide as they can help you quite a bit as reference (I take Nuffield Chem so the textbook is pretty useless).

Good Luck.
    :eek: it is wonderful!!!

ReputationRep:
    I liked Chemistry at GCSE and found it interesting and relevant to everyday life. I continued it at A-level (need it in order to study Bio at Uni), and I must say that I have absolutely despised every second of it. Most of the course is just a case of learning countless numbers of useless reactions; many of which have little practical application. Honestly, you've seen the most interesting stuff at GCSE; it's all down hill from there (unbelievably).

Chemistry A-level is fine if you have the sort of mind that can absorb a huge amount of seemingly useless information - learning the reactions of Chemistry is much like learning the phone-book; totally useless and thoroughly unrewarding in my opinion. With hindsight, taking Chemistry A-level is quite possibly my biggest academic regret to date....

It's not so much the subject I detest actually; it's the archaic and totally ridiculous syllabus that is the problem....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sync)
    I liked Chemistry at GCSE and found it interesting and relevant to everyday life. I continued it at A-level (need it in order to study Bio at Uni), and I must say that I have absolutely despised every second of it. Most of the course is just a case of learning countless numbers of useless reactions; many of which have little practical application. Honestly, you've seen the most interesting stuff at GCSE; it's all down hill from there (unbelievably).

Chemistry A-level is fine if you have the sort of mind that can absorb a huge amount of seemingly useless information - learning the reactions of Chemistry is much like learning the phone-book; totally useless and thoroughly unrewarding in my opinion. With hindsight, taking Chemistry A-level is quite possibly my biggest academic regret to date....

It's not so much the subject I detest actually; it's the archaic and totally ridiculous syllabus that is the problem....
    You must follow Salters then? Chemistry is a challenging but rewarding subject, and very much enjoyable....providing you don't follow a syllabus with no chemistry in it (Salters).

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 5, 2006

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.