The Student Room Group

Having a mini crisis, wanting to switch course...

Hi,
This is my first ever post on here so excuse me if I stray from some Student Room etiquette or something but here goes:
I've applied to Dundee to do Law, they're the only offer I have (requirements AAB incl Gen)

I've realised (or is it just a phase?) that I don't want to do Law, I want to do History because I find it more interesting and if I want to practise Law I can do a conversion course anyway (I didn't realise when I applied how common these seem to be). Dundee's History course doesn't look as interesting as others and isn't as good comparative to their law course (lower down rankings, probably shown by entry requirements, AAB for law and BBB for history)

Basically, what do I do?

Can I switch this year to another uni's history course in clearing?
Should I re-apply next year?
Is there anyone out there who can persuade me that Law is actually fascinating and that I should do it anyway?

I suppose this all hinges on my results too, although I expect I'll get AAB at the end of the day.

Sorry for the ramble and thanks for any help
:smile:
You can switch to history via clearing- you would need Dundee to release you from your offer (if you achieve it), and then you can go through clearing as normal. However, if you don't find a place you want, you may be better off taking a gap year. This won't be a waste- use it to earn some money that you can save up towards uni!

Only you can decide what you want to do. Are you 100% sure law is not for you, and this isn't just last minute nerves?
If you do go through clearing, you should make a list now of potential universities and their phone numbers. A mini personal statement about why you changed from Law to History might be good too.
Reply 3
I wonder what Dundee's protocol's are regarding switching course AFTER you've accepted. You can ask about that and see if they'll let you switch school as soon as you start (I might change my course but after I see my Personal Tutor)

Although keep in mind you'll also have to warn SAAS and uhh...make another copy of your SQA certificates in case the school of History wants their own.
Original post by markthmpsn
Hi,
This is my first ever post on here so excuse me if I stray from some Student Room etiquette or something but here goes:
I've applied to Dundee to do Law, they're the only offer I have (requirements AAB incl Gen)

I've realised (or is it just a phase?) that I don't want to do Law, I want to do History because I find it more interesting and if I want to practise Law I can do a conversion course anyway (I didn't realise when I applied how common these seem to be). Dundee's History course doesn't look as interesting as others and isn't as good comparative to their law course (lower down rankings, probably shown by entry requirements, AAB for law and BBB for history)

Basically, what do I do?

Can I switch this year to another uni's history course in clearing?
Should I re-apply next year?
Is there anyone out there who can persuade me that Law is actually fascinating and that I should do it anyway?

I suppose this all hinges on my results too, although I expect I'll get AAB at the end of the day.

Sorry for the ramble and thanks for any help
:smile:

Phone up the unis before you are released/ They can offer you a verbal place

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending