The Student Room Group

Should I go to Cambridge to show people that I'm smart?

Basically, as the title says.

A lot of people are judgmental these days, and I don't want to be looked down on. I believe I could get the grades required to go there. I wasn't planning on that specific uni, but, I want people to know how smart I am, as I have trouble expressing it, due to poor communication skills.

If you think I'm being stupid by doing this, then just think of someone from your old school thinking they're doing better than everyone else they knew from school, by getting into a good uni, and then you could just say

'Cambridge'.

It'd make your day.

What do you think?

Scroll to see replies

If the interviewers think you're as arrogant as I do, you don't have a hope in hell of getting a place.
:frown:
You blooming what? I'm going to intercept your ridiculous anecdote with a precautious blow, to challenge the hierarchy: it's not going to happen with that attitude, mate.
Reply 4
Don't chose a uni based on that. Chose it based on where YOU will thrive and enjoy living. It's pretty superficial to chose cambridge on the perception that you'll be seen as 'smart'.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
One does not simply go to Cambridge, or Oxford for that matter. Especially not with an attitude like that, those interviewers will smell you from the other end of the country.
I think people are reading my post wrong, tbh. I don't know if it's because I positively predicted that I would get into Cambridge or not, but, I guess people get butt-hurt about that.

Basically, it's my view of what arrogant people will think of me, if I fail in life, who probably don't think I'm smart because of my poor communication skills, which makes me want to get into Cambridge, to show them that I am smart. It would hopefully teach people, (people that I went to school with) who I think will look down on others if they get into a good uni, not to look down on anyone.

A bit complicated, I guess and I'm not sure if I've explained it well enough, but I don't see what's arrogant about it.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
I think you should seek other ways to improve your self confidence, trying to distinguish yourself with intelligence is self defeating when you'd be surrounded by people just as smart as you all day. It also doesn't equal friends.

+ Don't try to turn it into some kind of philosophical plight for humanity, this is driven by pure self interest.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Chronic Worrier
I wasn't planning on that specific uni, but, I want people to know how smart I am, as I have trouble expressing it, due to poor communication skills.

But how do YOU know you're smart What IS smart?
Reply 9
First of all, I definitely think you're far too concerned with how other people perceive you. Yes it's nice for your skills to be recognised, but as long as you're not being held back in any way and you're confident in you're own abilities then you shouldn't really concern yourself with perceptions. Secondly, you need to go somewhere where you're going to enjoy your course and your time there. If you're not happy somewhere then it's unlikely you'll achieve what you should, which surely would go against you're objective of showing people you're smart?
Reply 10
op is very humble
I am very concerned with how people perceive me.

I just don't want people I went to school with, thinking they've done better than me. They need to know that I've done better than them, and this is the way show it.

A lot of people do this, they really do.

I'm still failing to realize what was arrogant about my post, but, if it is, I'm sorry. I am very intelligent, but, I have mediocre verbal skills, which means average people are more recognized as talented than me, which depresses me greatly, but my point is I am humble, and I'm certainly not arrogant.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 12

I just don't want people I went to school with, thinking they've done better than me. They need to know that I've done better than them, and this is the way show it.

I'm still failing to realize what was arrogant about my post, but, if it is, I'm sorry. I am very intelligent, but, I have mediocre verbal skills, which means average people are more recognized as talented than me, which depresses me greatly, but my point is I am humble, and I'm certainly not arrogant.

If a person says they are humble, chances are they are not. How the hell do you know that you're intelligent and better than your school friends? Those are judgements other people ought to make on you, one doesn't make these judgements on oneself.

People who do make these judgements on themselves are arrogant. It's pretty much the definition of arrogance.
Reply 13

I think that first sentence points to what you need to deal with here! If you do make it to a university like Cambridge then you should be proud of yourself (as should anyone who makes it there), but you need to do it for yourself. Doing it to prove a point to other people probably isn't going to be enough to push you through 3 years at a highly, highly competitive university
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 14
Getting into Oxbridge in England and some Ivy league schools in America has as much to do with who you are as a person as it has to do with your grades. The fact that you think you'll just 'walk in' to Cambridge is ridiculous and quite unlikely unfortunately judging by the way you've written your posts. But the fact remains, these schools want people who will be the leaders,visionaries, etc. of this world when they leave. They aren't like other universities where you just go.

I know two people from my college who got into Oxford and Cambridge, one of them has a published book at the age of 17 that has won 2 awards and the other patented an engineering invention of his which got credited by major unis, these obviously aren't the only things that get you into these universities, but these 'sorts' of people get into them. You have to think differently to others. If you say you have problems communicating then maybe it isn't the place for you as it's not just for smart cookies, you need communication skills.

If you're someone 'different'/'special' in that way, then apply. But know that almost everyone has at least a couple of interviews to get into Cambridge, it's not even half got to do with what grades you get so it's not a stroll in the park as you make it out to be!
(edited 10 years ago)
your reasoning may be slightly off but just do it, you will find the interview rather humbling.
Original post by Qwertish
If a person says they are humble, chances are they are not. How the hell do you know that you're intelligent and better than your school friends? Those are judgements other people ought to make on you, one doesn't make these judgements on oneself.

People who do make these judgements on themselves are arrogant. It's pretty much the definition of arrogance.

I know for a fact that I am.

It's not the first time someone has made a bold statement like that before.

I see people make these sort of statements all the time.

So, I'm guessing I am arrogant.

I guess I could be portraying what I think of others, in being arrogant, onto others, I don't know, but I've definitely seen others do the same, and I want them to know that I'm smarter than them.

The type of people who do this, usually are okay, but the type of attitude they have, just bugs me. It's not arrogance either, they truly believe it as well.
Also, I might not be fully clued up on Cambridge, which I admit is stupid to make that assumption, but, I believe I can get in there.

My poor communication skills might be a problem though, I admit.
What will you offer Cambridge other than your own sad ego?.
No chance in hell you'd ever get in with that attitude.
Even though everyone despises my attitude, they're quick to insult me as many ways as they can.

A wrong doesn't make a right.

Basically, at the end of the day, is there anything wrong with wanting to make sure that people know that I'm intelligent?
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest