The Student Room Group

Help to stop comparing?

Basically, I get my GCSE results in 8 days and I'm absolutely petrified for a number of reasons. The main one is that I've always considered my education to be massively important to me, and I've always been considered 'one of the bright ones'. But I'm getting increasingly worried about my results not living up to my expectations, as well as others. I'm basically trying to prepare myself for disappointment.

I think I'll probably get about 5A*s 5As 2Bs and a distinction. My school's predictions are higher, but, like I said, I don't want to get my hopes up. I have such big dreams for the future (eg perhaps studying Law), but looking at those potential results actually sickens me, because I don't think they sound at all impressive.

To make things worse, there's a girl in my year who will probable get straight A*s. I'm not joking - she will probably open those results to see 14 A*s. 14 perfect grades. I've never felt competitive with this girl, but I would give SO SO much to have results like that. It makes me look like a complete failure. How will I ever go far in life with my grades?

Does anyone have any tips on how I can not compare myself to her. Will my grades be enough to get me 'far in life'? Obviously, they could be higher than what I said or lower, but please help! And does anyone else feel this way, too?
(edited 10 years ago)
Really?
Reply 2
You must've been on this forum for too long if you believe that 5A*s 5As and 2Bs are not impressive grades. In the real world, most people would love to have grades like this, they're well above average. I'm not necessarily sure how to stop comparing yourself to others but I know that you probably shouldn't do this because everyone is different and everyone has different capabilities. For example, a C grade may be disappointing to you but to another student it could be a big achievement.

If you find yourself comparing your results to other people, just say NO and try and think about something else because it's not helping. Obviously those grades can get you far in life, the only time you really need to start worrying is if you think you won't pass Maths or English (which it seems like you easily will) or if you want to get into a degree/job with high standards, for example if you want to be a doctor.
okay thank you. I realise that I must sound really bratty. I just have high expectations of myself, I suppose
Reply 4
Those grades are great. You may go far if you can achieve them :smile:
Reply 5
I got A*AABBBBCC and I go to a Russell Group university that's in the UK top ten. I also come from a high school where the 5A*-C rate (including English and Maths) was 33% and that's mainly because people got 5 Cs from doing Hair and Beauty or Construction.

Universities don't really care for GCSEs apart from English and Maths, where most institutions want B or above and some places such as UCL and Bath want an A in maths for science based subjects. Put your energy into A-Levels rather than stressing about your GCSEs, they're what you need to get on your degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Thanks again! It's just that I may want to go into law, or study something like European Political Studies. I know that GCSEs technically don't matter for degrees (usually), but I still think they're a good indicator of how successful you may be in the future. I suppose I'm just very competitive...
Reply 7
Original post by rebeccafrances
Thanks again! It's just that I may want to go into law, or study something like European Political Studies. I know that GCSEs technically don't matter for degrees (usually), but I still think they're a good indicator of how successful you may be in the future. I suppose I'm just very competitive...

There aren't many people that aren't competitive so don't feel bad. In Year 10/11 everyone excepted me to get my A-Levels and go do a degree in art because it was the only thing I could actually do, instead I ended up doing Psychology at Exeter with the intentions of doing my Masters in Marketing.

I got AABBb in sixth form, which should have been AAABb but everyone got at least one grade lower in art than we should have. However my GCSEs predicted me at getting BBC or something that I thought was ridiculous. Yet in GCSE I was predicted A/A* in absolutely everything (except they decided to put me on the Foundation paper in year 9 for Science... which I got full marks in).

Basically, don't worry at all. You're passionate, so you'll get good grades. If you don't get what you expect, then don't be upset, but let that be your motivation for sixth form to get into Oxbridge or wherever you'll end up :smile:.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks again - I feel a bit better. I think that it might be best to just go in, get the envelope and leave, rather than hanging around. I'll undoubtedly end up comparing when everyone is asking each other what they got.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest