Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Travelling to South East Asia in July/August? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Tempted to do it as I have holidays from uni, when I went to South India in August it really was too wet but I was wondering whether the rainy season in Thailand is the same.

Anyone have any experiences of Thailand during this period?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lizfairy)
    Tempted to do it as I have holidays from uni, when I went to South India in August it really was too wet but I was wondering whether the rainy season in Thailand is the same.

seen this online "The Rainy season is the one that varies most between regions, on most sites they say that is between June and October but will depend on where you are. Central and Northern Thailand will get most of its rain between August and October, whereas down South (where we head to on the TruThai Experience tour) the majority of rain falls in October and November."

currently looking at thailand myself,would want to do through a tour group to get a feel for travelling first. but theres that many tour groups etc its almost impossible to just choose one!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djh-10)
    seen this online "The Rainy season is the one that varies most between regions, on most sites they say that is between June and October but will depend on where you are. Central and Northern Thailand will get most of its rain between August and October, whereas down South (where we head to on the TruThai Experience tour) the majority of rain falls in October and November."

currently looking at Thailand myself,would want to do through a tour group to get a feel for traveling first. but there's that many tour groups etc its almost impossible to just choose one!
    It would be interesting to hear what other travelers say.

Though I understand that you are a little apprehensive about booking everything on your own, I can guarantee it is liberating and saves a lot of money. I could help you a little with planning, when are you thinking of going and for how long?

ReputationRep:
    Dont think I'd travel on my own,as well as i wouldnt be allowed,considering parents might need to give a bit for a possible trip.In the same boat as yourself, looking to go somewhere different (not the usual spain etc.) before uni starts. so sometime in September i guess.come across different companies/places to go every day when researching!

ReputationRep:

Just got back from Thailand...on the islands (Koh Phangan and Koh Samui) we had no rain in the time we were there. Bangkok had a few showers but nothing that lasted very long and everything soon dried up.

ReputationRep:
    Iv travelled twice during that period, The east islands in thailand should be fine at that time but it will be rainy in the west. Mostly the odd showers in BKK and the north at that time but then again it really depends on how bad the rainy season is that year.

If anyone is looking for a intro tour of Thailand I thoroughly recomend www.trutravels.com cheapest one out there and you get more moeny off using the following code LindaB

I wouldnt go with a tour for your whole time in Thailand as it can be restricting which is why I like the idea of intro tours to ease you into it!

ReputationRep:
    I don't want any tours and I am not worried about language problems... I like learning a little of the local language wherever I am! Just organizing it independently.

ReputationRep:
    I travelled in Thailand and Cambodia for July and August last year, few rainy days in Eastern Cambodia in late August was all!! We were advised to avoid phi phi and the western thai islands at this time, chaing mai wasn't hot and sunny but was dry and warm!
    I think a tour is a good idea for solo travellers, or else some volunteer work at one location and maybe meet some people to travel with afterwads if you are flexible.
    A friend did a STA tour and loved it athough Im sure you could get cheaper.
    If interested in volunteering, mail me and I'll get you in touch with a great grass roots company!

ReputationRep:
    Hey I am interested.. do any of you know of any tours companys which do inclusive flights? I am wondering if these often work out cheaper than organising each component of the holiday separately? I am traveling to Asia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prescriptator)
    Hey I am interested.. do any of you know of any tours companys which do inclusive flights? I am wondering if these often work out cheaper than organising each component of the holiday separately? I am traveling to Asia.
    Most tours dont include flights but will help you organise them. They dont usually work out cheaper but are good for the sense of security, meeting a whole bunch of new people straight away and getting all the info on travel. scams etc around the country!

ReputationRep:
    check the travel planning section on travelfish

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys but I am not sure why people are suggesting tours-I mentioned I like to travel independently right? :P

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys but I am not sure why people are suggesting tours-I mentioned I like to travel independently right? :P
    I wasnt replying to you there was CLEARLY other people on this thread who asked about tours

ReputationRep:
    Sorry: p

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.