Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Maintenance loan budgeting Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Right so now that it is getting close, I was hoping I could get a bit of help from someone who has been in uni for a year or more.

I'm looking at my loan, and trying to get a spreadsheet sorted out with my outgoings and whatnot.

What I was wondering is if people (self-catered) could give me what they would spend roughly per week (or month) on food.

And if there is anyone who can make a box of cereal last a month, have a small lunch (say a small sandwich/an apple or 2) then have a decent dinner say chicken breast in a sauce with veg and rice. I would love to hear what you spend. But any help is appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    I spend roughly like £20 per week... or I try to, at least.
    Sometimes I get lazy and order in, so go over my £20 budget.
    Or if I go out to eat for like a society event or something, that's an extra £5-£10 depending on where we eat.
    So I'm going to say £20 if I'm being good and £20+ if I want to enjoy myself/lazy.

I usually have small lunches, getting bread and ham isn't expensive at all, so always good to have around. Or just have toast with jam on. I usually make a lot of food for dinner fresh since it sort of works out cheaper. Ready meals are like £3/£4+, it's a lot better to spend that £3 on getting some ingredients and making a big batch of something that can last you a few days. Pasta, curries, stews are great for that. Rice is really good as well since it's filling and lasts forever (as in, big portions!), and you can have anything with rice. Rice, chicken + sweet and sour sauce makes for a decent meal. I have rice with almost anything tbh...

I usually buy store-own brands if I'm being tight. They usually taste fine and work out a lot cheaper. Asda do great store-own bolognese and macaroni cheese. Get some garlic bread to go with and it's delicious!

Just budget, be creative and don't be afraid to hunt for deals and discounts :3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sorae)
    I spend roughly like £20 per week... or I try to, at least.
    Sometimes I get lazy and order in, so go over my £20 budget.
    Or if I go out to eat for like a society event or something, that's an extra £5-£10 depending on where we eat.
    So I'm going to say £20 if I'm being good and £20+ if I want to enjoy myself/lazy.

I usually have small lunches, getting bread and ham isn't expensive at all, so always good to have around. Or just have toast with jam on. I usually make a lot of food for dinner fresh since it sort of works out cheaper. Ready meals are like £3/£4+, it's a lot better to spend that £3 on getting some ingredients and making a big batch of something that can last you a few days. Pasta, curries, stews are great for that. Rice is really good as well since it's filling and lasts forever (as in, big portions!), and you can have anything with rice. Rice, chicken + sweet and sour sauce makes for a decent meal. I have rice with almost anything tbh...

I usually buy store-own brands if I'm being tight. They usually taste fine and work out a lot cheaper. Asda do great store-own bolognese and macaroni cheese. Get some garlic bread to go with and it's delicious!

Just budget, be creative and don't be afraid to hunt for deals and discounts :3
    Ah of course rice is a god send, mum is going to be kind and get me a massive tub from costco, which really I could probably make last a year if I wanted :L

But yeah I've worked a £30 (based on what you've said and allowed a bit of room) per week budget, and that would leave me with £1000 at the end of the year, which is by the way with other costs worked into it. I think I may be a bit off there. Ima work through it a bit more.

And thank you

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.