Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Doctor prescribed me antibiotics, don't want them. Do I have to go pay for them? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I don't care enough about what they're supposed to treat enough to pay for them. Am I obliged to pay for them now the prescription is made or can I just not go?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    It depends how old you are and whether you're in full time education.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    It depends how old you are and whether you're in full time education.
    20, in full time education. I've edited the post to make it more clear. He basically prescribed them through laziness and I don't think I care about the ingrown follicles on my neck enough to take 6 weeks of antibiotics.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Have you actually picked them up? If not then you can just leave it and never collect and no obligation.

If you have collected and paid for them then just don't take them...you've paid for them anyway, your choice to do what you want really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    Have you actually picked them up? If not then you can just leave it and never collect and no obligation.

If you have collected and paid for them then just don't take them...you've paid for them anyway, your choice to do what you want really.
    Yeah I haven't been to collect them. Just wondered if the prescription meant I had an obligation to actually pay for them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by james1211)
    20, in full time education. I've edited the post to make it more clear. He basically prescribed them through laziness and I don't think I care about the ingrown follicles on my neck enough to take 6 weeks of antibiotics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If you're in England, you'd have to pay. Unless you're exempt due to income or disability.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I haven't been to collect them. Just wondered if the prescription meant I had an obligation to actually pay for them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If you have not yet taken the prescription to the chemist then you are not obliged to do so

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Reviewer
    Unless you're under 18 or have a disability you will have to pay for your prescription in England, yes.

If you have been prescribed antibiotics, I strongly advise you take this course (£7-whatever isn't much in the grand scheme of things), rather than the potential for a longer and more expensive treatment in the future since the infection didn't clear up soon enough because you didn't take the initial treatment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mimir)
    Unless you're under 18 or have a disability you will have to pay for your prescription in England, yes.

If you have been prescribed antibiotics, I strongly advise you take this course (£7-whatever isn't much in the grand scheme of things), rather than the potential for a longer and more expensive treatment in the future since the infection didn't clear up soon enough because you didn't take the initial treatment.
    GP's love doling out antibiotics, more than they know they should sometimes- obviously the doctor prescribed them for a reason, but if it's not bothering the patient (and most infected hair follicles clear up in the their own time) why should he?

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No you don't- just maybe an annoyed GP wondering why you bothered to see him lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    No you don't- just maybe an annoyed GP wondering why you bothered to see him lol
    I didn't know that they were ingrown follicles, you felt large lumps on my neck and wanted to rule out something serious like skin cancer because i know someone who had that, i'm supposedly in a higher risk group. Thanks, i just wondered if the prescription was sent directly to the chemists or something meaning they were expecting me.

ReputationRep:
    Just to clear it up, you only pay for a prescription when you actually go to collect the medicine from a pharmacy. There is no cost attached with the doctor writing the prescription for you.

Though I should mention that if you really didn't want it, it's always best to be open with your doctor - they do understand!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S23a)
    Just to clear it up, you only pay for a prescription when you actually go to collect the medicine from a pharmacy. There is no cost attached with the doctor writing the prescription for you.

Though I should mention that if you really didn't want it, it's always best to be open with your doctor - they do understand!
    Thanks, I see. Yeah I should have told him not to at the time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to pick them up. I once got a call from my pharmacy saying my prescription had been sitting there for two weeks but I wasn't due another one for three months, I just went to the pharmacy and told them I didn't need it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.