Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Building a PC, what do you think Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi folks, what do you think of this PC build? I have chosen components I can overclock in the future. The budget is £800 excluding OS and monitor (which I could probably find much cheaper).

I am looking to cut costs. In particular, can anyone suggest a cheaper Z87 motherboard or a better value graphics card? Also, do I need quite that much power supply? It's hard to tell especially when I expect to overclock at some point and also maybe run SLI.

Also if anyone knows any snap offers on peripherals (especially monitors which are criminally expensive) please say so!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£179.99 @ Aria PC)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£128.24 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Memory: Corsair 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£57.36 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£71.99 @ Aria PC)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£45.59 @ Aria PC)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card (£156.79 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (Black/Orange) ATX Mid Tower Case (£83.29 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£83.58 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer (£14.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£68.39 @ Aria PC)
    Monitor: LG IPS224V-PN 21.5" Monitor (£104.00 @ Ebuyer)
    Total: £994.21
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-14 13:16 BST+0100)

ReputationRep:
    Don't use pcpartpicker............always out of date, wrong prices, doesn't even include p+p, too many sources, stick as little as possible

(Original post by scrotgrot)
    Hi folks, what do you think of this PC build? I have chosen components I can overclock in the future. The budget is £800 excluding OS and monitor (which I could probably find much cheaper).

I am looking to cut costs. In particular, can anyone suggest a cheaper Z87 motherboard or a better value graphics card? Also, do I need quite that much power supply? It's hard to tell especially when I expect to overclock at some point and also maybe run SLI.

Also if anyone knows any snap offers on peripherals (especially monitors which are criminally expensive) please say so!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (£179.99 @ Aria PC) £190 including p+p, get it off ebuyer http://www.ebuyer.com/467647-cpu-cor...bx80646i54670k
    Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (£128.24 @ Scan.co.uk) check ebuyer, Asus Z87-K comes with a free cooler while stocks last..........also other option is the Asus z87-A version both cheaper and praised highly
    Memory: Corsair 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£57.36 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk (£71.99 @ Aria PC) Isnt that great compared to the older 830, only the 840 pro had any improvements, also consider intel and the Crucial m4 range
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£45.59 @ Aria PC) http://www.ebuyer.com/319639-seagate...em-st1000dm003 2tb is about £15 more
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 660 2GB Video Card (£156.79 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (Black/Orange) ATX Mid Tower Case (£83.29 @ Scan.co.uk) Do you really want this case? Also have a look at the Corsair 300r in particular
    Power Supply: Corsair Enthusiast 650W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£83.58 @ Scan.co.uk) cheaper http://www.ebuyer.com/279547-corsair...-cp-9020002-uk You could also go for a cheap corsair cx version
    Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer (£14.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) (£68.39 @ Aria PC)
    Monitor: LG IPS224V-PN 21.5" Monitor (£104.00 @ Ebuyer)
    Total: £994.21
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-14 13:16 BST+0100)

Also be aware that you can pick up a GTX670 for under £180 from scan.........and a gtx760 from novatech for a similar price.
    Have a look in bold.

ReputationRep:
    You can get alot of that of eBay for cheaper brand new from reputable sellers (for example windows 7 is £30 buy it now), honestly for that sort of budget I would recommend going cheaper on the case unless it really obthers you and put the money into the system.

I myself have the Intel 520 240GB in Raid 0 and it's outstanding.
    If this system is for gaming try for a monitor with a 2Ms response time, some BenQ ones are around that price with 2 second response (G2450HM) is one example.

Try for a better graphics card, if you can wait a monther AMD's new line will be release September 25th meaning their current line may drop significantly so you may get alot for your buck.

If it's just for games you wont really need the hard drive I'd just put the money into a 240GB SSD+

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    Don't use pcpartpicker............always out of date, wrong prices, doesn't even include p+p, too many sources, stick as little as possible

Also be aware that you can pick up a GTX670 for under £180 from scan.........and a gtx760 from novatech for a similar price.
    Have a look in bold.
    Yeah I was gonna check around for cheaper before buying anyway, I'm not ordering for another 2 weeks. You can actually get Scan free delivery after 2 weeks' membership of avforums, so I'm waiting for that, and Scan might be worth it. Thanks for the tips on the motherboard especially.

(Original post by Welshbo)
    You can get alot of that of eBay for cheaper brand new from reputable sellers (for example windows 7 is £30 buy it now), honestly for that sort of budget I would recommend going cheaper on the case unless it really obthers you and put the money into the system.

I myself have the Intel 520 240GB in Raid 0 and it's outstanding.
    If this system is for gaming try for a monitor with a 2Ms response time, some BenQ ones are around that price with 2 second response (G2450HM) is one example.

Try for a better graphics card, if you can wait a monther AMD's new line will be release September 25th meaning their current line may drop significantly so you may get alot for your buck.

If it's just for games you wont really need the hard drive I'd just put the money into a 240GB SSD+
    Yeah I have had a look round eBay today and prices seem to be at least 10% cheaper. I have to build before the 25th unfortunately but could always get a basic card/rip one out of an old computer for the first boot. I thought I might do the same with hard drives for the moment, I have about 1.5TB worth of 2.5" laptop drives sitting around. Just to spread the cost over a few months.

I'll delve further into the dark arts of monitors, thanks for the suggestion

ReputationRep:
    I would scale it back a bit on the case and motherboard and spend a bit more on a gtx 670 which can be bought for quite cheap at the moment from most places at the moment. Plenty of overclock friendly boards at the moment in the sub £100 price range. Power supply could be a bit cheaper too without losing quality.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.