Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

I have an interview coming up for an access to HE course. Can anyone give me an indication of what to expect? Any help is appreciated.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I've moved this to mature students

ReputationRep:
    Its different with each College. I start my course this September and my interview was completed after I did a maths and English assessment. My interview was quite informal, I was asked about my goals for the future which subject pathway interested me and discussed my assessment results. She told me then and there id been accepted and told me id recieve written confirmation in the post. Then explained how to apply for my 24* Loan.

Nice and easy so I was lucky. Ive seen posts on here about college's that make it quite a bit more difficult. I suspect bit depends on how popular the course is.

ReputationRep:
    I turned up to the interview, there was about 10 of us there.

All they did was explain the course using a powerpoint, how to get funding, what the course entails etc.

We did a maths and english test on the computer. It's very simple, basically multiple choice. My college asked for level 2 maths and english. I got level 2 english, but only got level 1 maths. I still got on the course though, because I have a C in GCSE maths.

But then again, my local college pretty much takes anybody!

I got my acceptance letter 3 days later.

ReputationRep:
    I had interviews at 2 colleges and they were both different. The first I did a maths and English test on the PC and once this was completed went to see a lecturer who basically said you have passed you are in. The second one I didn't do tests as they were happy with my GCSE results. I had an in depth interview with a course lecturer and the course administrator, they asked lots of questions including what my plans were after, if I had been in contact with universities and would they accept the qualification for the courses I wanted. They explained about applying for university, asked about finance and what experience I was planning on getting for my course (nursing) and discussed which options I would need to take on the course and had a look at the provisional timetable. I was offered a place at the end of the interview. They just want to be sure that you a looking ahead and have considered what you will do after the course. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I had one. There were about 20 of us and we were sat down in a room to complete a maths and English test. The maths was really easy but the English was a little more challenging. We had to summarise a relatively long passage about sociology in our own words, not allowed to repeat what the passage said. Then we had to complete an essay (about 2 A4 sides of paper long) from a range of 6 titles they'd given us. Then we came back a week later to discuss our results, books we'd read, plans for the future etc and then got told whether we'd be accepted. Happy to say I was! I think all colleges are different though. My one is pretty popular so maybe a bit more challenging to get into.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hello! Congratulations on securing an interview.

I have been to Access to HE interview two times, one for Higher Education, and the other was for Nursing. They were completely the same, but all colleges differ.

When I went to the reception, I had to wait with the other people who were going for the same interview. We was all told to go to a big room and take an assessment exam (English and Maths) and then they would send out a letter or ring us to let us know how we got on. Throughout this, they explained and described modules involved, what campus we would be studying on, and what college we would need to go to to study at the laboratory for when we do our Science modules, and just things like that. It really is no big deal.

I am not sure if you've done the assessment yet? But that is what happened to my experience. Unfortunately, I failed my Maths assessments so I could not enroll onto the courses, but I am now studying with DL Centre, and they are fab. I hope you get the news you want, and good luck with it all!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I have a diagnostics test for the access course next week and although I did well enough in my G.C.S.E's (2b's in eng and C in maths)..its been 13years so want to revise a little just to jog my memory, does anyone have advice on the sort of things that are on the test (im currently driving myself crazy trying to master the art of algebra!)...any help is much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    I used the BBC bite size maths GCSE revision website. In my test I had questions on fractions, multiplication and division, factoring, area, volume, graphs, there was also some basic addition and subtraction. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've just had my assessment. The maths was level 2, but nothing very hard - no algebra, quadratic equations or trig. It included arithmetic, area and volumes, graphs, probability, fractions, averages and ranges, percentages, ratios and approximation. The English test covered punctuation, spelling, grammar and vocabulary. There was also a short piece of free writing after the tests: we had to describe our career goals and relevant experience. The interview is next week.

ReputationRep:
    thanks for your replies, I shall try and 'swot up' on those areas then!good luck with your interviews!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all for the replies, I have been on holiday and have since had my interview. I was accepted. I wasnt impressed by the process. There was no assessment at all. There was a 20 minute presentation and overview of the course and then 30 seconds with a lecturer.

I hope its not indicative of what to expect.

ReputationRep:
    That doesn't sound too great

i have applied for an access course a few weeks ago but had to change the subject about a week ago! All been crazy and rushed, but thankfully got my interview (access to he in science) on Tuesday the college have been pretty good so far, touch wood!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AbiLisa91)
    That doesn't sound too great

i have applied for an access course a few weeks ago but had to change the subject about a week ago! All been crazy and rushed, but thankfully got my interview (access to he in science) on Tuesday the college have been pretty good so far, touch wood!
    Good luck, I am doing Access to HE science too.

My interview also included a powerpoint presentation and a healthy warning that sacrifices will need to be made if we wished to complete this course successfully. I have no fears however and I am really looking forward to it. I am also doing some online short courses alongside the course, so I am going to be extremely busy with my studies.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.