Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi new York students! Tomorrow you'll all be flooding in here after getting your results, so I thought I'd point you towards a little film I made last year: YSTV's Guide to Colleges.

I'm part of the student TV station at York, and I remember the most stressful thing between getting my results and Freshers' Week was working out where I'd be living for the next year, how much it would cost, who I'd meet, whether I'd be happy - so I decided to make a video guide to all the different types of accommodation in the uni. If you've visited York it might help your memory or show you bits you didn't get to see, and hopefully for those who didn't get to come to an open day it'll provide a bit more information than the accommodation service website.

It's been viewed over 11,000 times already, I hope you find it helpful too. It was made last summer, but the colleges themselves haven't changed - only the dates (so ignore what I say at the end about the deadline - the up-to-date informations is always at york.ac.uk/accommodation or @UoYAccomm). Even the YUSU President's still the same guy

ReputationRep:
    Most lively college on hes east?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vanderdecken)
    Hi new York students! Tomorrow you'll all be flooding in here after getting your results, so I thought I'd point you towards a little film I made last year: YSTV's Guide to Colleges.
    I'm part of the student TV station at York, and I remember the most stressful thing between getting my results and Freshers' Week was working out where I'd be living for the next year, how much it would cost, who I'd meet, whether I'd be happy - so I decided to make a video guide to all the different types of accommodation in the uni. If you've visited York it might help your memory or show you bits you didn't get to see, and hopefully for those who didn't get to come to an open day it'll provide a bit more information than the accommodation service website.

It's been viewed over 11,000 times already, I hope you find it helpful too. It was made last summer, but the colleges themselves haven't changed - only the dates (so ignore what I say at the end about the deadline - the up-to-date informations is always at york.ac.uk/accommodation or @UoYAccomm). Even the YUSU President's still the same guy
    Hey!! Sick! The P block kitchen in Derwent is currently my kitchen!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonnynoctu)
    Hey!! Sick! The P block kitchen in Derwent is currently my kitchen!
    hey x thanks for the reply but this video doesnt say anything about the livelyness of hes east colleges and which is the best xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LucyH123)
    hey x thanks for the reply but this video doesnt say anything about the livelyness of hes east colleges and which is the best xx
    I was replying to the original poster of this thread about his video, not to you, sorry! I am not the original poster and the video is not mine.

If you want a lively hes east college, the only lively one is Langwith. Goodricke and Constantine aren't what I'd call particularly social colleges.

ReputationRep:
    okay thanks so much x what makes it more social? x

ReputationRep:
    okay thanks so much x what makes it more social? x
    I'm not entirely sure, to be perfectly honest. It's seen as the rival to Derwent by some people in terms of how social it is, and the chanting by freshers sometimes takes a Derwent vs. Langwith vibe. My friends in Langwith college are all also more sociable than the ones in Constantine (the expensive one) and Goodricke, which doesn't really have anything. It's just Goodricke.
    Personally I wouldn't apply for any Hes East accommodation were I to re-apply, why Hes East, if you don't mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    The accomodation just seems so nice and modern, and the rooms alot smarter which is a key point to me. I dont like the look or derwent or aluciun, maybe james but the hes east colleges look really nice - why would you say not to apply to head east? xx

ReputationRep:
    The accomodation just seems so nice and modern, and the rooms alot smarter which is a key point to me. I dont like the look or derwent or aluciun, maybe james but the hes east colleges look really nice - why would you say not to apply to head east? xx
    Yeah the rooms themselves are newer on hes east, so if that's your biggest factor in choosing accommodation, then pick a hes east college

In my opinion, your room is just where you sleep, so it doesn't matter too much how the interior of the rooms or kitchens are, as long as everything works (obviously if you're going self catered the kitchen does matter slightly more). Being on hes east means that you have to get up earlier if your course is on hes west, as it's a long walk or short bus ride away. Most societies and other events are located on hes west too, so people on hes east invariably find themselves commuting to hes west multiple times per day.
    Additionally, the newer college blocks often don't really intramingle in the same block as often: I know people who only know the flat next door in goodricke college, whereas in Derwent, many people know their entire block and the block next door. So I wouldn't personally choose a college on that campus.

ReputationRep:
    okay thank you, whats james like?

ReputationRep:
    He guys, which college would you recommend if im going to be studying accounting and finance? the department is on the east campus but i wanted to be in west as it is bigger and more to do? (unless im wrong!). where do the business students usually stay? any advice would be great!! also how close is vanbrugh (walking distance) to the department?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.