Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Optimal training to build muscle Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi Everyone,

http://bodybuildingdatabase.com/blog...ing-for-teens/

This is my latest blog post on a Bodybuilding website. It's all about the best way to train to build muscle. Thought it might be helpful for quite a few forum users who ask about building muscle or improving their physique!

Any feedback is appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    great article and website as well.

de-spells a lot of common myths and questions.

ReputationRep:
    That was a good article. I'm sure a lot of teens will find it very useful.

I wanna ask a couple of things:

So let us begin with the basics, and some definitions. As we know – training in the gym is catabolic, meaning we break down our muscle fibres and create micro-tears from accumulative fatigue and stress acquired through lifting weights. These micro-tears can then be re-built – and actually grow back bigger and stronger through adequate rest and nutrition; this is anabolism, the process of ‘hypertrophy’ or simply building muscle. Anabolism is optimally achieved through capitalizing on elevated levels of protein synthesis as a result of weight training. By definition the synthesizing of protein involves your body utilising amino acids to create complex protein structures which repair the tissue and can build muscle.
    When we train it's catabolic because our body breaks down molecules (glycogen, fat etc) to create and expend energy. I don't think catabolism has anything to do with damaging muscle fibres? A level Biology if i recall.

Also, in your research, have you actually found anything that proves the idea of tearing down and damaging muscle fibres, which results in rebuilding i.e. muscle growth? I haven't actually seen anything myself and AFAIK this is a theory. Correct me if I'm wrong medics. How do we actually build muscle? Just curious.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)

When we train it's catabolic because our body breaks down molecules (glycogen, fat etc) to create and expend energy. I don't think catabolism has anything to do with damaging muscle fibres? A level Biology if i recall.

Also, in your research, have you actually found anything that proves the idea of tearing down and damaging muscle fibres, which results in rebuilding i.e. muscle growth? I haven't actually seen anything myself and AFAIK this is a theory. Correct me if I'm wrong medics. How do we actually build muscle? Just curious.
    I just sleep in lectures, ask Harrison.

(Original post by HFerguson)
    Medic that knows what he's doing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AreebWithaHat)
    The most expensive sleep you're ever gonna have. A 5* hotel is cheaper hahaha

ReputationRep:
    The most expensive sleep you're ever gonna have. A 5* hotel is cheaper hahaha
    yes lol, I'll wake up in a years time when it's time for clinicals

ReputationRep:
    yes lol, I'll wake up in a years time when it's time for clinicals
    What, to check out the nurses and other young medic ladies? lol Dont even pretend you won't be doing this They need short sleeve white coats for you, then you can flex those biceps when you write on your clipboard and stuff lol

ReputationRep:
    What, to check out the nurses and other young medic ladies? lol Dont even pretend you won't be doing this They need short sleeve white coats for you, then you can flex those biceps when you write on your clipboard and stuff lol
    Well I wasn't exactly looking forward to rectal examinations and catheters Did try chatting up a junior doc early this year but she already had a bf.

We don't have to wear white coats, why do you think I changed from ss to a bb split haha.

ReputationRep:
    nobody checks out the nursing students, they're too busy and don't have the time of day for medics
    medical students are at the bottom of the totem pole on hospital wards

as far as I was aware, the whole "micro-tears" theory was proven bull****, but I haven't done the research myself, brb researching

edit: I believe micro-tears probably refers to damage to muscle spindle proteins incurred by eccentric contractions. Eccentric contractions are known to contribute to strength and hypertrophy adaptations of muscle fibres, but is not the meat-and-potatoes of hypertrophy - concentric contractions and progressive tension overloading are.

ReputationRep:
    great article and website as well.

de-spells a lot of common myths and questions.
    Thank you very much, I appreciate the feedback!

ReputationRep:

Thanks for your feedback. You're 100% right in what you've said, it is a theory and I was just rolling with the theory itself for the sake of the post. It wasn't made with particularly high level or medical students in mind - not that it's an excuse for presenting questionable information but I didn't see it necessary to delve much deeper into the science of hypertrophy.

I was largely basing it off studies which have shown that eccentric only lifting sessions showed a 'greater increase in muscle breakdown' - these terms could well be referring to the substances you've mentioned and not the myofibrills themselves. Thank you for the constructive criticism!

ReputationRep:
    Good article mate. Ive been doing a 3 day workout for a couple of months now. I might try and give the upper body/lower body workout a go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manu01)
    Good article mate. Ive been doing a 3 day workout for a couple of months now. I might try and give the upper body/lower body workout a go.
    Thank you mate! Best of luck with it if you do. I've certainly found it the best way to train if you get a good split going, and the research speaks for itself.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I checked out your blog. Very comprehensive and informative. I like that you addressed some of the misconceptions, such as working out every day intensely counting against you. Having a plan and schedule is much more effective.

Thank you for sharing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by g_ike)
    Hi,

I checked out your blog. Very comprehensive and informative. I like that you addressed some of the misconceptions, such as working out every day intensely counting against you. Having a plan and schedule is much more effective.

Thank you for sharing!
    Thank you g_ike! Really appreciate the feedback and I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Do you agree that a full body workout is best for beginners? Something like SS. Do you think 3 squats a week is overkill?

ReputationRep:
      It may save time but it is not advised to do chest and shoulders on the same day too often, I actually steer clear of it due to the amount of stress on the shoulder and elbow joints as both involve heavy pressing exercises.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by CandyFlipper)
      Do you agree that a full body workout is best for beginners? Something like SS. Do you think 3 squats a week is overkill?
      Definitely. I'm assuming you're referring to 'Starting Strength' by 'SS' which yes, is a good programme for beginners. Jason Blaha's Novice 5x5 is also a good one. Squatting 3x per week isn't overkill, on the provision that your volume, training load, rest etc is all accounted for. If you're following a programme such as SS or 5x5 they will have periodized accordingly and accommodated for the increased frequency by lowering the volume of each session.

Following a set programme to the letter won't be optimal, but as a beginner it's a good place to start. Once you've been lifting for a while you can judge your own parameters and adjust accordingly. Just don't be tempted into the 5 day a week 'bro-split', as a beginner you should see far more progress on SS or Novice 5x5.

Hope this helps, and best of luck!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by JT14)
      It may save time but it is not advised to do chest and shoulders on the same day too often, I actually steer clear of it due to the amount of stress on the shoulder and elbow joints as both involve heavy pressing exercises.
      I'm afraid I have to respectfully disagree with you there within this context mate.

There are too many other variables to take into consideration before making a sweeping statement like that... such as load, volume, warm up, flexibility, training experience, rotator cuff strength etc etc.

I explained in the blog that the second 'Push' day in the week requires a lighter training load with moderate reps for a more hypertrophy based workout, opposed to a strength based workout on the first 'Push' day. The volume on each of these days is lowered accordingly to give a reasonable total volume for the week. Warming up considerably is always important, as I stressed. The release of synovial fluid from said warm up will act as a lubricant at the joint and improve function. Lastly I believe direct rotator cuff work is important to strengthen and stabilize your shoulder joint, meaning it can cope with heavier/more frequent loads in a safe manner.

Push, Pull, Legs is a very popular split, and I think with proper care for variables and appropriate assistance work it can be absolutely fine to work chest and shoulders on the same day. Granted under some conditions it isn't optimal, I wouldn't smash my chest with 20 sets of heavy flat and incline presses and then go onto a further 15 sets of OHP and Seated B.B press - but under the parameters I stated in the blog I don't think it's unreasonable to do so.

Thanks for your opinion, hope you enjoyed the blog!

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.